*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
13
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878652
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#878652 added April 22, 2024 at 5:27pm
Restrictions: None
Dropping Napkins
Jesus was disturbed by the arrogant way certain people prayed haughtily in public that wasn't true acknowledgment but was done to show others their piety. He wanted us to pray humbly and simply, following a specific pattern. So he instructed us with the Lord’s Prayer at the Sermon on the Mount. On the other hand, Jesus also commanded us to declare Him publicly and let our light shine.

These are not conflicting instructions. Jesus was most concerned about the condition of our hearts when we pray. One condition deals with haughtiness, the other with fear. We must examine ourselves when we pray. If we are attempting to show off our righteousness, it's time to pray silently. If we are afraid to pray publicly, it's time to open our mouths.

One opportunity to acknowledge Him is at mealtime. There was a time when I exhibited a total lack of affirmation for God at meals. I wanted to blend in and couldn’t stand judgmental stares, from others and from those I might be sharing a meal with. I’ve since come to realize how important it is to pray publicly in order to be a witness, as long as it’s done humbly and is God-centered.

The defining moment for me came when I discovered my shameful practice was not restricted to just me. One evening, while having dinner with some friends, one of them said, “Shall we drop napkins?” I was confused by the remark and doubly confused by the laughter. That is until someone explained that it was their secret way of praying in public. It was appalling and I saw my own fears as if in a mirror.

Yet, we must also be careful of praying to build ourselves up before others rather than simply acknowledging Christ and His blessings. During a thanksgiving meal, one member of my family began the mealtime blessing and went on at great length. After several minutes, off to one side of the children's table came the small voice of our three-year-old grandson. “Hello," he said. We’re hungry here.” The room erupted with laughter and even the person praying had to admit he had gone on too long.

That said, there are no absolutes when it comes to the length of a prayer. It can be a quick eyes-to-heaven kind of invocation or a long, emotional prayer. When Jesus prayed, he sweat blood. We would do well to remember that, if it's truly coming from the heart. If it's done to impress, the prayer is just bouncing off the ceiling.

My wife and I have a mealtime blessing wherever we are and whomever we’re with. Sometimes that causes an uncomfortable silence, but it lets others know of our commitment to God. We reach across the table and hold hands. We never drop napkins. If we did, we know that God may cover us with his own napkin one day—concealing us in obscurity and confining us to the shadows.

We should be able to declare our thanks to a loving God in a public manner and not be ashamed. If we don't have the courage to acknowledge God when the weather is calm, how can we expect to find him when the storm arises?


Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.
– Matthew 10:32-33


Keywords: Fear, Haughtiness, Prayer


Comment publicly to Writing.com community below,
or comment privately to: ehwharton@Writing.com

© Copyright 2024 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878652