*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
13
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878746
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#878746 added March 19, 2020 at 1:26am
Restrictions: None
What'cha Doin'?
I'm a Yankee born and raised. To those living outside of the United States, that means any American. But within the United States it refers to a more specific group of people―those living in the northeastern part of the country. I was originally from Pennsylvania, but I had the good fortune to realize my shortcomings and marry a Mississippi girl. At first we lived in Pennsylvania, but eventually I was forced to take an early medical retirement, after which we decided to move to Mississippi.

Moving from the cold North to the warm South was as much a cultural shock as it was a temperature shock for me. There was much for me to get used to, including different mannerisms. One of the strangest I discovered was when someone called on the phone and asked me what I was doing. Or, in southern phonetics, "What'cha doin'?" Yet even more strange: you're supposed to say exactly what you ARE doing—"nuthin" is not an acceptable response.

Do you feel like that sometimes with God? I know I do. I'll be doing something and suddenly a voice will come in on my WGOD shortwave and I will hear the words "What are you doing, my son" form in my head. I wouldn't dare say "nuthin'" because what would be the point? And lying about what you're doing won’t help either. Remember, like any good manager, God wants to catch us doing something good rather than something bad. But don't discount his sternness associated with discovering you're doing something wrong.

Of course, the difference between another person asking that question and God asking is that God already knows the answer. It was the same with Adam in the Garden of Eden when he hid from God after his sin and rebellion. God asked where he was, all the time knowing exactly what he had done and where he was. The question was for Adam to reflect on his sin and evaluate where he was in his relationship with God

Our answer to God is not for Him, it's for us. It gives us the opportunity for introspection and become aware of what we're doing, thinking, feeling, or saying. That's where sin arises and His question is where conviction arises. That’s why we must remain on guard every moment of every day to live right by God, because in a twinkling of an eye He can make His presence known.

We should try to be constantly aware that God is always watching us, not as some stern overseer, but as a loving father making sure His children are safe. If you go through the day with the expectation that God may call you at any moment, you may become more aware of those little lapses that seem to creep in so easily. Remember, nothing will remain hidden from Him and it's that personal relationship with Him that helps convict us of sin.


LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.
– Psalm 139:1-4


© Copyright 2020 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878746