*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878883
Rated: 18+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #2076109
My 2016 Nano Project
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#878883 added April 9, 2016 at 1:36am
Restrictions: None
Disappointed
Then he was gone. Father disappeared. As always he refused to take me along.

He told me, "It's dangerous out there. How do I protect you? You are better off here."

To which I would reply, "I'm not any safer here. Someone is trying to kill me and you know who it is."

So now I sit here in the dark, trying not to look over my shoulder to see if someone was behind me.

I could hear chatter in the next room. I wanted to join them but they would stop talking the moment I came near. As I debated whether I preferred to be alone in my dark dungeon or to be lonely in a room with chatty people, my very first recollection of father rushed to my mind. He was holding me in his arms and his lips were moving but I don't seem to remember his voice. The sting of abandonment cut through me, setting loose a stream of tears and painful breaths.

Why doesn't he love me, I wondered. I hated this place he called home. What is so special about it? Someone is always trying to fight us. Can it be any worse out there?

A faint voice in my head told me to go out and look for him. I knew better than to listen to that voice but the thought was tempting. How much better I would feel if I could leave this place?

I felt the need to lay down, to rest or sleep, however Danya had thrown my mattress down the stairs. I was too frustrated to haul it back to my room and now the empty bed frame served as a reminder of wicked Danya. How I would love to shove her down the stairs. But she'd only fly away. I'd have to tie a heavy rock to her feet. I shuddered and turned around.

I wish my room had a door but doors are strictly forbidden. So I paced the rug and threw the blanket across my shoulders, then flopped down to rest my head on the pillow. Oddly, I felt safer sleeping on the floor. Perhaps it was just different.

© Copyright 2016 the last cicada (UN: deadbluesea at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
the last cicada has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/878883