*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
13
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/879259
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#879259 added April 19, 2024 at 7:57pm
Restrictions: None
Calling Down Fire
I wonder what it must have been like to be rebuked by Jesus? He did so at times to his disciples and I don't think it was a simple, "Now, now, boys. You know that's not right." If Jesus rebuked them like he rebuked the Pharisees, they probably felt about as small as a baby ant. Funny how one simple word like "rebuke" can conjure up such powerful imagery.

Two disciples, James and John, in particular had a propensity for getting into trouble. Often we think of John as a soft-spoken, almost effeminate apostle. That's because he was called the Apostle of Love. But Jesus had named both James and John the "Sons of Thunder" so I imagine they were both quite loud and opinionated.

Such was the case one day on the road through Samaria. All the apostles had just returned from casting out demons and healing the sick—an ability Jesus had imparted on them for a time. They must have been feeling pretty full of themselves. Who can blame them? After all, even long-time followers of Christ today fall into that same trap. We have to be wary of the tendency to act self-righteously as we mature in our faith.

So, when the Samaritans turned them away, James and John immediately thought of retribution.

When the days drew near for him [Jesus] to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem. And he sent messengers ahead of him, who went and entered a village of the Samaritans, to make preparations for him. But the people did not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem. And when his disciples James and John saw it, they said, “Lord, do you want us to tell fire to come down from heaven and consume them?” But he turned and rebuked them. And they went on to another village. (Luke 9:51-56)

Imagine the audacity and the arrogance. If anyone was going to bring down fire it would be Jesus. There's a reason why we, as sin-filled humans, are not given that kind of power. The likelihood for abuse would be astronomical. Just about everyone on the face of the earth would be consumed by fire.


And what was the nature of the offense? The Samaritans were Jews, albeit ones who had intermarried with people of different faiths and so were considered to be less pure. They had their own Temple, just like at Jerusalem, and all they wanted was for Jesus to celebrate Passover with them. Jesus, however, knew he had an appointment with the cross and could not tarry. Feeling insulted, the Samaritans basically told Jesus to be on his way.

Is that worthy of a death sentence? And lest we forget, after Christ's death, an evangelist named Philip went to the cities of Samaria proclaiming Christ, many of whom listened, saw the signs that he performed, and believed (Acts 8:5-6). Many of those would not be around to hear the message if James and John had been able to have their way that day.

Of course, Jesus knew all this. Hence the rebuke. How often do we need the same rebuke? How many times have we wished to call down fire on people for an affront against us. These are the very ones Jesus wants us to reach out to and bring the message of His Kingdom.


So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
— James 1:19-20


Keywords: Revenge


Comment publicly to Writing.com community below,
or comment privately to: ehwharton@Writing.com

© Copyright 2024 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/879259