*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
13
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881074
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#881074 added October 12, 2023 at 2:24pm
Restrictions: None
We Would See Jesus
In 1975, the Dallas Cowboys and the Minnesota Vikings were playing each other in a professional football game. With less than half a minute remaining, Dallas quarterback Roger Stauback thew a desperate pass from the middle of the field to Drew Pearson who was almost at the goal line. Pearson caught the ball against his hip and stumbled backward into the end-zone to score the game-winning touchdown in a stunning and exciting surprise ending to the game. In an interview after the game, Stauback was asked about the pass. He replied, “I closed my eyes and said a Hail Mary.”

How easily terms of worship are applied to worldly things.

That’s what makes it difficult to truly sort out what it means to worship God. The things of God and the things of the world have become so mixed that the line has become blurred and it’s often difficult to separate them. We pray to God and then pray that a baseball player catches a ball; or worse, that the opposing player drops it. We sing songs of praise to God during services and then sing worldly songs when we leave—songs devoted to romantic love far outnumber any other kind of song. Stadiums rival churches in grandeur and “services” are even conducted in them on the Lord’s Day.

Churches themselves have begun to rival country clubs with social events and gatherings. Worship services are tailored to entertain, trying to “hold on” to worshipers rather than challenge them, intent on keeping up with the times. Large video screens display song lyrics and bible verses so we no longer need to crack a hymnal, or worse, the Bible. Short movies replace personal testimony. People church-jump because the pastor is boring, the choir sings off-key, or the temperature in the sanctuary is too cold. When worshiping becomes a reflection of the culture rather than a reflection of the heart we must question how we worship God.

Is there a correct way to worship God? It all begins and ends in the heart. Perhaps the sincerest approach to having a right heart is the way the Greeks approached Philip anxious in their desire to meet Jesus. Do we wake up every morning seeking Jesus? Do we go to worship service, not waiting to receive something, but anxious to see God? Noted author C.S. Lewis said, "The perfect church service would be one we were almost unaware of. Our attention would have been on God."

In all things, first seek Jesus.


Now there were some Greeks among those who went up to worship at the festival. They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, with a request. “Sir,” they said, “we would like to see Jesus.”
– John 12:20-21


© Copyright 2023 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881074