*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/885316-Soldiers
Rated: 18+ · Book · Activity · #2085296
This is a place to keep my entries into the 'Thank you for the music' challenge
#885316 added June 21, 2016 at 8:04pm
Restrictions: None
Soldiers
an animated image




"Is it true that the beast is wakin'?" Martha's shaky voice wasn't more than a whisper, but the fear in her words was loud and clear.

Tom squinted to see in the direction where his wife was looking, but it was difficult to see out the window when the only light now was found in the pale moonlight. He did a chamber check and magazine check on his Glock once again, which made it the fifth time in the last ten minutes. The shiny brass in the chamber made him feel just a little bit safer.

They were all alone in their vulnerable little farmhouse. Earlier that afternoon, a spaceship had landed in one of their closer fields. Martha happened to walk by a window after dinner, and saw the eerie sight of four zombie looking soldiers and one large, alien looking beast. Up until now, the beast looked dead. With horror, the couple realized that it had only been asleep.
In the grip of this cold December, no one would be to their farm anytime soon. They were all alone.
"Stay here. I'm going to have a look out the back window to see if there are anymore soldiers."

"No, Tom, Let's not look the other way, takin' a chance like that." Martha desperately grasped at her husband's arm. "We've been at this window all afternoon, and all we've seen are these four creepy soldiers and that awful beast! They've been a sittin' by that vehicle. Ain't no reason to believe any are around the back. Just stay here, Tom."

Tom listed his head. "Do I hear what I think I'm hearin'?" While the couple were whispering together, the soldiers seemed to be singing.

It took a while for Martha to answer. Her eyes were wide with fright. The afternoon was too dreadful for her, though, it didn't take long for her to hear that sound, too. "What does it mean? Up until now, they've only been sittin', and now they're singin' and chantin'? They're having a real hay day! You'd think that nothin' in the world was wrong!"

"I'm goin' out there." Tom, frustrated and impatient found new determination.

"No! No, Tom, now look here! If you go out there, ain't no tellin' what will happen. They don't know we're in here. Just leave them be, and maybe they'll go away! Martha pulled Tom into a strong embrace, and sobbed into his chest.

Tom put his gun on the side table and held his wife tightly. "Okay, honey, okay, I'm not goin' anywhere. We'll just wait and see, okay?" He kissed the top of her head tenderly. As he looked back out the window, he noticed a bright light.

"Martha! All that thunder and the blinding light! I think they've gone off!"

Martha swiftly wiped at her tears, and pressed her face up against the windowpane. "Tom! You're right! You're right, Tom! They're gone!"

*****


The soldiers, well rested, went back into the ship with their beast to take off in the winter night. Where will they visit next? Only time will tell.


A steampunk image
© Copyright 2016 Maryann - House Martell (UN: mhicks at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Maryann - House Martell has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/885316-Soldiers