*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889135-Backpacking-Europe-Day-3
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1954602
I have posted my response to MHWA Mental Health Challenge and other items to this journal.
#889135 added August 3, 2016 at 1:48pm
Restrictions: None
Backpacking Europe: Day 3
Wednesday, August 3, 2014

Avila

I love the Gothic and Romanesque architecture of the Ávila Cathedral: Catedral del Salvador de Ávila. This is one of the most beautiful of the Roman Catholic Cathedrals of Spain. I like these cathedrals because they show one of the artist styles that was generated by the revelation of Jesus Christ. When I walked inside this exquisite cathedral I could feel the presence of the Holy Spirit as it flowed through the arches and walls of the sanctuary. Inside one feels so small in comparison to the divine beauty and size of the universe. I had to kneel in the sanctuary and whisper a prayer thanks to the Divine Creative Essence for inspiring the Followers of Christ in the construction of this cathedral.


Legends say that three early Christians, Vicente, Sabina and Cristeta, were martyred during the rule of Diocletian, a Roman Emperor. The bodies of the three were buried in the rock. The bodies of the three martyrs were moved, but eventually returned to Avila where a basillica was built over their tombs. This beautiful basillica is another indication of the results of Christ death on the cross and the resurrection of the love of Christ in the hearts and souls of early Christians. One cannot help but feel the spiritual presence of these three early Christian martyrs when they walk into the Basilica of St Vincent;

Segovia

Alcazar is derived from the Islamic word for fortress, 'Al'qasr', while most of it architecture is Spanish it shows some Islamic or Moorish influences. This influence is in the castle's reading windows and stucco-ceilings. The outside of the castles reminded me of a fairy tale castle, specifically the castle of Cinderella. The Moorish or Muslim influence can be seen in some of the castle's interior columns which are decorated with Muslim plaster work. I also saw Muslim architectural influence in the roof decoration called "the half orange". This blending of Muslim and Spanish architectural styles makes Alcazar castle one of the most beautiful pieces of art in Spain.



Food

First let me say I am not a big pork eater. I like bacon, pork chops (preferable breaded and baked), and pigs feet with black eyed peas. When we ate I decided to try the Gastronomic Lunch because the Roasted baby pig and Segovian cake sounded like a interesting and delicious taste sensation. Of course, I had coffee with my meal. I do not drink wine and I did not ask if they had non-alcoholic wine because my drink of choice is coffee followed by tea or iced (with ice forming on the bottle or glass) mineral water.



© Copyright 2016 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889135-Backpacking-Europe-Day-3