*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
26
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889140-Avila-and-Segovia-Spain-with-a-view-from-the-Moutain
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#889140 added August 3, 2016 at 1:21pm
Restrictions: None
Avila and Segovia, Spain with a view from the Moutain
Read more about Avila and Segovia Day Trip from Madrid - Madrid | Viator at: https://www.viator.com/tours/Madrid/Avila-and-Segovia-Day-Trip-from-Madrid/d566-...

early evening guys because we hop the train at 7:00am for a 3 hour train ride to Barcelona.

Tell us about what you saw, what kind of food did you choose? Remember the fun in our adventure is visiting your other blogging buds, too!


Quote for the Day: “I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspires me to travel it.” — Rosalia de Castro

References:

https://www.wikipedia.org
https://www.planetware.com
https://www.summitpost.org

What did I see? What did I eat?

Avila:

Avila is the capital of the Spanish province of Castile Leone or of Avila depending on where you read your information. Now, I really did research Spanish Provinces to clear this up. In a quick jaunt into web land I found 17 Spanish regions. None were specifically named Avila but, there was a Castilion. It must be a local competition. A social aspect of Spain.

Avila lies 70 miles from Madrid. The walls of the city are massive. Just thinking of the man power and struggle to build such a structure is intimidating. I can’t help wondering how many deaths and injuries have attributed to its beauty. Pictures of the lights on the medieval walls of the city at night, light up the surrounding country side.

In its past, Avila lays claim to great textile production. Perhaps this is why the Basilica of San Vicente appears to have a lace edging around the top of it. I also viewed Los Valeda Palace and Los Cuatro Postes (The four Pillars).

Another building with a more simple type of architecture was San Pedro Church which faces the Plaza De Santa Theresa.

Saint Teresa was born in Avila March 28, 1515. She was a writer, you can find her biography on Amazon. During the Feast Day of St. Teresa on October the 15 the celebration will include a food once made by the nuns in the convent. It is a pastry now made by chefs in the area. The wine makers used egg whites to cure the wine. They gave the egg yokes to nuns in the convent who made Yemas.

Recipe:
3 oz. Water, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the peel of 1/2 of a lemon. Place in a pan over heat boil until you have a thwack syrup. Remove the lemon peel

Lightly whisk 6 egg yokes.

Using low heat, add the yokes to the syrup, mixing slowly until it solidifies. Spoon it onto a plate to cool.

Sprinkle powdered sugar onto a counter of board, turn the egg mixture onto the powdered sugar and roll it into a round ball. Next pinch off walnut sized pieces roll into round balls cover in powdered sugar. (chill on a platter in the refrigerator) The powdered sugar will form a crust when cool. Serve.

Other foods you can expect to find in Avila are roasts and veal cutlets.

There was still a lot of exploring to do in Avila when time sent us onward to Segovia. Not before, I had come across a transportation notation that you can get bus service from Avila to La Mira. La Mira mountain provides hikers and climbers with places to ascend its heights. There are also a few free hutches to spend the night before you ascend.

Segovia:

While viewing the ancient Roman Aqueduct, that has 160 arches; put together with 20,400 granite blocks without cement; I found a restaurant in the shadow of the aqueduct. It is a steak house named, Mes'on DE C'andido. Roman aqueducts in Europe still function even though this particular one was built in 50A.D.

Just outside the city in a peaceful nature park setting is the Monasterio Del Parro. Here you will find restful country scenery.

Back inside the city, Alcazor Castle is a fascinating place to view and visit. What a great place to sit and write as you observe the castle. I think stories of mysticism, adventure, and medieval times would be the subject of any muse during this tour.

The Cathedral DE Segovia stands above and views the whole city. It has 18 chapels and an archive room preserving more than 500 ancient books. The Cathedral is in the center of the old town.

Segovia shows tourists Gothic, Romanesque, and Renaissance architecture.

There are many restaurants in Segovia. I found and Italian one, “La Almuzara” which offers a vegetarian menu. You can get tapas from Mes’on Jos’e Marie or try the Cocido (meat and chicken peas stew) at Cueva de San Esteban.

There are Medieval streets to explore with sidewalk cafes. After finding the Jewish Quarter (Juderia) I was truly on overload and glad to make my way back to the Hostel to rest up for an early trip in the morning.

Merit Badge in Blogging
[Click For More Info]

Congrats on winning 3rd place in the Jan. 2016  [Link To Item #30dbc] !


© Copyright 2016 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889140-Avila-and-Segovia-Spain-with-a-view-from-the-Moutain