*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889304-Of-Summertime-and-Cats
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2091378
A blog about writing
#889304 added August 5, 2016 at 3:28pm
Restrictions: None
Of Summertime and Cats
It is a warmish day here, and the sun has come out from behind the hazy clouds at last. There is a thunderstorm watch for later in the day. Sitting in the backyard, with my laptop.
We have had a very dry spring followed by a wet summer.

My twenty-one year old cat had to be put to sleep in June. I still miss him. He had a good, long life but it has taken a while to get used to no longer having a pet. He spent a lot of time these last years, on my lap, or on the switched on mattress pad in the bedroom. I think the warmth must have felt good to his old bones. In human years, he was over one hundred when we had to have him put down.
We donated his food and cat carrier to a local rescue society.
No more pets for us, as we've reached retirement age.

I had thought about volunteering as a foster parent to an animal waiting for adoption, but that still requires responsibility and I am done with that. The thought is there, but I am not prepared for the work involved, and then there is the risk of becoming attached to the pet, and then adoption process, and suddenly a new family member! No, no.





© Copyright 2016 Sara Lynn Frederiksen (UN: goldenmead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sara Lynn Frederiksen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889304-Of-Summertime-and-Cats