*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889375-August-Backpacing-Across-EuropeHostels-August-7-13
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1954602
I have posted my response to MHWA Mental Health Challenge and other items to this journal.
#889375 added August 14, 2016 at 2:35pm
Restrictions: None
August Backpacing Across Europe/Hostels: August 7-13

Aug 7th-- Breakfast and we're off either hiking or the zoo, fielders choice, both are supposed to be incredible. "Backpacking Europe: Day 7

At just 658 meters high, it might be surprising to learn that Pic St-Loup is one of the most beloved emblems of the city of Montpellier. After all, the Alps are not that far away. But thanks to low vegetation, impressive 300-meter-high cliffs, and a surrounding relief of just 150 meters, Pic St-Loup is very prominent and can be seen from just about everywhere in the Hérault department. It is, by definition, part of the lower end of Massif Central.

Because of its micro-climate and unique flora, the mountain is a protected site and houses a thriving population of prey birds. The mountain is a very popular day trip from Montpellier for both curious tourists and serious hikers; there is an old chapel, castle ruins, a hermitage, and a symbolic cross atop the mountain. Not to mention the unobstructed panoramas, which stretch all the way from the Mediterranean Sea to the south to the Cevennes Mountains to the north. The wine produced on the low slopes of Pic St-Loup is some of the most highly-regarded terroirs in the Languedoc-Roussillon region.

or take in the Zoolgigue de Montpellier if you would rather take a less strenous option but please note both require a lot of walking.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parc_zoologique_de_Montpellier

Dinner at Leclere Cuisine D'Arrivage, it's a small restaurant, I booked it for us a year in advance, we are the only patrons from 8:00pm until closing. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187153-d7932738-Reviews-Leclere_C...
We have a short train ride tomorrow morning only a couple of hours so we are departing at 9:00am

We've survived our first week traveling together *BigSmile*

Aug 8th, we're going to Monaco "Backpacking Europe: Day 8
August 8th Hello Monaco and a bit of luxury at the Fairmont Monte Carlo. 12 Avenue de Spélugues, Monaco MC 98000.

http://www.fairmont.com/monte-carlo/

We get to leave our luggage with the concierge while we head off to the Japanese Gardens, they are within walking distance of our hotel.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g190409-d4346904-Reviews-Jardin_de...

Monaco is tiny measuring 2 miles long and little over half a mile wide, so you can certainly walk around it in half a day! That means you won’t be spending any money on cab rides and you get your exercise for the day. Monaco is built on a steep hill but there are all these crazy public elevators you can take to get up and down. It’s a weird place, let me tell you but a long of fun.

Okay, we're off to the Oceanographic Museum

https://www.viator.com/Monaco-attractions/Oceanographic-Museum-Musee-Oceanograph...

and then to the zoo. It's unusual because it is a vertical zoo going up the side of a mountain where the Prince's Castle sits at the top. The view of the city is incredible as you walk and see the different exotic animals accumulated.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g190409-d4346904-Reviews-Jardin_de...

You can’t leave Monaco without seeing the Prince’s Palace. Walk up the hill to the top for the best views over Monaco and watch the Changing of the Guards performed at 11:55am each day.

We'll be having a light lunch here before we take in the different shops on our stroll back. Yup, its a walking day. There's a lot of high-end label stores to check out and see what the rich and famous are buying. Maybe you'll cross paths with one.

There is a rooftop swimming pool with amazing views if you're not in shopping all the high end shops.

Dinner at 7:30 at La Note Bleue

A Piano bar where we can kick back and if we want walk along the beach.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g190409-d2292056-Reviews-La_Note_B...

August 9th "Backpacking Europe: Day 9

We're having breakfast at the hotel before we head off to Prince Rainer's Antique Car collection
{link:https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g190409-d4952787-Reviews-The_Private_Collection_of_Antique_Cars_of_H_S_H_Prince_Rainier_III-Monte_Carlo.html

We're going to have a light lunch at the hotel before we're off on a scenic 20 minute helicopter tour to Nice.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Nice/Scenic-Helicopter-Tour-from-Nice/d478-5581HELI...

then we're going to do a bike tour of Nice

https://www.viator.com/tours/Nice/Nice-City-Bike-Tour/d478-5294NICE
iscover the best parts of the Côte d'Azur capital during a Nice bike tour with a local guide. Cycle though the picture-perfect city past charming city squares, grand boulevards and sandy beaches. See the city's famous Belle Époque architecture, Baroque churches, trendy bars and busy cafes. With a knowledgeable guide and a bike, you'll see parts of Nice that most people miss. Highlights Three-hour guided bike tour of Nice See Promenade des Anglais, Hotel Negresco, Place Massena, Nice Old Town and Market, Place Garibaldi, the port and more Hear interesting facts and stories about the attractions Discover hidden spots, little alleys and Nice's unique atmosphere

Read more about Nice City Bike Tour - Nice | Viator at: https://www.viator.com/tours/Nice/Nice-City-Bike-Tour/d478-5294NICE?pub=vcps

The helicopter pilot is going to return us in time for happy hour at the Brasserie de Monaco.

http://www.brasseriedemonaco.com/

Located down on the harbour, this cool little spot serves homebrewed organic beers and if you get there between 5pm and 8pm, you can also enjoy 50% off the price! Yep that’s 2 euro for a half-pint and 3 euro 50 cents for a pint!

Dinner is at Il Terrazzino a mix of Italian and Mediterranean at 8:30 pm
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g190409-d1579959-Reviews-Il_Terraz...

Did you see who's there???

We leave at 8:00 am to Florence, it's a 2 hr. train ride.

August 10th Hello Italy "Backpacking Europe: Day 10

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Bassetto-Guesthouse/Florence/744?da...
Welcome to Bassetto Guesthouse!
We are located in Certaldo, in the belly button of Tuscany, a beautiful region of vineyards, olive groves and medieval towns. This is the place where you will find a true taste of Tuscany and the 'bella vita' in an authentic XIVth century setting.
We are bringing Tuscany country living to the backpacking world. If you need a relaxing break from the busy cities, then we are the place for you. At Bassetto, you will be able to regather your thoughts while you relax next to our pool or swing the afternoon away in a hammock with a glass of wine in hand and then at night, you can take a walk through a garden while being surrounded by fireflies after you have had a dinner in our wine cellar.
Bassetto Guesthouse was formerly a convent of Benedictine monks that was always open to pilgrims passing through. In 1998, our family opened Bassetto Guesthouse again to travelers with the same notion of hospitality as the monks centuries ago. We wanted our guesthouse to be unique in terms of setting and location, a place you would want to return to and somewhere to relax from city life.
We accommodate everyone here, from the lovers on their honeymoon in our private rooms to the solo backpacker in our dorm style rooms. Our private rooms and dorms, are separated from each other across the yard, with their own both kitchens and common areas.
Explore through landscapes sculpted by sunflowers, rolling hills and farms either on foot, bicycle, and horse. Day trips by train are easy from Certaldo to go exploring the big cities to see the splendors of Florence, Siena, Pisa which are mostly an hour away.
We organise and run a number of activities from a fresh pasta cooking class with a local chef to day trips to San Gimignano and wine tour. When the weather is amazing, we can even take you out to Pisa for a day.
Bassetto Guesthouse will always make you feel like you won’t want to leave and with our friendly staff, always able to help we are the perfect place to be in Tuscany.
There is something for everyone here!

We're going to take a fresh pasta making class this morning before we set off to see where Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, Foscolo, Gentile and Rossini are buried at the Basilica of Santa Croce and see the museum where Michelangelo's David resides

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Santa_Croce,_Florence

http://www.accademia.org/

after a light lunch we are going to the Boboli Gardens

http://www.museumsinflorence.com/musei/boboli_garden.html

We are going on late afternoon early evening horseback adventure, with our picnic baskets. We are going to see the city's beauty at sunset from an incredible advantage point.

Sleep well my friends we have another busy day ahead of us.

"Backpacking Europe: Day 11, Hello Rivera
August 11th

Quick grab your breakfast we're off for a full day adventure! Grab your swimsuits and good walking shoes.

Explore the Italian Riviera on this day trip to the beautiful Cinque Terre from Florence, with transport between each small town provided. Led by a local guide, discover each fishing village by coach, train and boat, from the beaches of Monterosso to the charming streets of Riomaggiore. Stop for a swim in the turquoise waters and upgrade to include a traditional Italian lunch. Soak up all the character of this UNESCO-listed region before heading back to Florence. Highlights Full-day trip to the Cinque Terre from Florence with transport Discover the UNESCO-listed Cinque Terre with your tour leader Travel between destinations by coach, train and boat Soak up the scenic views and distinct character of Riomaggiore, Manarola, Monterosso and Vernazza Enjoy a traditional lunch in quaint Monterosso, if option selected Stop off for a swim in the turquoise waters at one of the area’s beaches

Read more about Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport from Florence - Florence | Viator at: https://www.viator.com/tours/Florence/Cinque-Terre-Day-Trip-with-Transport-from-...

Dinner is up to you guys, if your hungry after all we've done today. I recommend the Panini Toscani or if you just want a lighter fare the Montecristo has the typical bar fare of meats and cheese platters.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g187895-Florence_Tuscany.html

We have to be on the train at 8 am, a two hour ride to Venice.

August 12th Venice "Backpacking Europe: Day 12

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/AWA-Venice-Apartments-San-Marco/Ven...

We have 5 apartments so we'll be split into groups of 5 or 6 per room during our stay in this crazy city.

We have a two hour tour scheduled this morning and you have the afternoon to explore on your own after lunch. we need to hook up for our dinner date.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Venice/Skip-The-Line-St-Marks-Basilica-Guided-Tour/...

Dinner is at 7:30 this evening, the wait is going so worth it on this Gondola and Serenade and dinner experience.

eel the romance of a classic Venetian experience with a serenaded gondola ride through Venice’s famed canals, capped off by dinner or lunch at a renowned local eatery. Settle into a traditional gondola boat for a 35-minute ride through the Grand Canal and some of the city’s smaller waterways, while onboard musicians provide a passionate soundtrack of Italian ballads. Savor an authentic Venetian meal at the top-rated Hostaria Ai Coristi Restaurant to conclude your enchanted evening or afternoon tour. Highlights 35-minute Venice gondola ride with serenade plus a meal Share a ride on the Grand Canal and glide down smaller canals Listen to a musician and a singer serenade you aboard one of eight gondolas in your flotilla Enjoy a two-course lunch or dinner at Hostaria Ai Coristi Restaurant

Read more about Venice Gondola Ride and Serenade with Dinner - Venice | Viator at: https://www.viator.com/tours/Venice/Venice-Gondola-Ride-and-Serenade-with-Dinner...

Grab those boys, we are off for a great day. "Backpacking Europe: Day 13
August 13th We'll be heading out at 8am today

Our day tour will take about 9 hours so be sure to dress comfortably, we're leaving right after we lock up our gear.

Visit Verona, the setting of Shakespeare’s ‘Romeo and Juliet,’ on this day trip from Venice. Soak up the city’s history, architecture and culture as you check out castles, churches, frescoes, Gothic landmarks, charming piazzas and Verona’s renowned amphitheater. A knowledgeable local guide will bring the city to life on this small-group tour limited to 15 people. Highlights Verona day trip from Venice See sights related to Romeo and Juliet, as well as other historical landmarks Skip the line at the ancient Roman amphitheater Pass by the Verona Duomo and the famed Juliet balcony Walk along the river past Casa di Romeo Learn about the city as you walk along its streets with an in-the-know guide Small-group tour limited to 15 people provides a more personalized experience

Read more about Romeo and Juliets Verona Day Trip from Venice - Venice | Viator at: https://www.viator.com/tours/Venice/Romeo-and-Juliets-Verona-Day-Trip-from-Venic...

Dinner is at Ristorante Enoteca Cangrande
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187871-d1639024-Reviews-Ristorant...

I know it's tempting but please don't feed the pigeons when we are walking past St. Marks.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/dont-feed-the-pigeons-in-venice-b...

I know it's a long day but please have all your stuff packed this evening, we're leaving very early.
We've got a 5 hour train hour ride, but it's a beautiful scenic ride to Vienna. We've got bag lunches so we can begin our day once we leave our stuff at the hotel.



© Copyright 2016 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889375-August-Backpacing-Across-EuropeHostels-August-7-13