*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889834-The-Doge-is-a-leader-of-government
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#889834 added August 12, 2016 at 7:41pm
Restrictions: None
The Doge is a leader of government
August 12th Venice

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/AWA-Venice-Apartments-San-Marco/Ven...

We have 5 apartments so we'll be split into groups of 5 or 6 per room during our stay in this crazy city.

We have a two hour tour scheduled this morning and you have the afternoon to explore on your own after lunch. we need to hook up for our dinner date.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Venice/Skip-The-Line-St-Marks-Basilica-and-Doges-Pa...


Dinner is at 7:30 this evening, the wait is going so worth it on this Gondola and Serenade and dinner experience.

eel the romance of a classic Venetian experience with a serenaded gondola ride through Venice’s famed canals, capped off by dinner or lunch at a renowned local eatery. Settle into a traditional gondola boat for a 35-minute ride through the Grand Canal and some of the city’s smaller waterways, while onboard musicians provide a passionate soundtrack of Italian ballads. Savor an authentic Venetian meal at the top-rated Hostaria Ai Coristi Restaurant to conclude your enchanted evening or afternoon tour. Highlights 35-minute Venice gondola ride with serenade plus a meal Share a ride on the Grand Canal and glide down smaller canals Listen to a musician and a singer serenade you aboard one of eight gondolas in your flotilla Enjoy a two-course lunch or dinner at Hostaria Ai Coristi Restaurant

Read more about Venice Gondola Ride and Serenade with Dinner - Venice | Viator at: https://www.viator.com/tours/Venice/Venice-Gondola-Ride-and-Serenade-with-Dinner...


Fairy playing a flute

Quote for the Day comes from a book: http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/venice

“There is still one of which you never speak.'

Marco Polo bowed his head.

'Venice,' the Khan said.

Marco smiled. 'What else do you believe I have been talking to you about?'

The emperor did not turn a hair. 'And yet I have never heard you mention that name.'

And Polo said: 'Every time I describe a city I am saying something about Venice.”
― Italo Calvino, Invisible Cities

The San Marco apartment is very nice and clean. We have a tiny terrace of our own overlooking the city. A kitchenette gives us opportunity to make a cup of tea. The rooftop has exercise equipment in the fresh air. Again, with a view of the city.

We took a flotilla (a large boat that can take a group of people) to the Palace of the Doge and another as we toured the Grand Canal. I saw a map with an overhead view of the Grand Canal and all the little side waterways through out the city.

It was fun in the afternoon to catch a gondola to some little shops not far from the apartment. Better than a noisy traffic ride in a taxi. The Grand Canal is quite a site when normal day time traffic is paddling from place to place.

The word Doge is a title given to the rulers of Venice. The word Doge derives from Latin duc which means leader. The present Palace of the Doge is not the original. The original burned and was replaced by a different building. The Palace has suffered fire many times in it’s history. Each time, whatever part was burned was renewed and rebuilt. Until, it became the building we visited today. Because of its long history, more than one architect was involved in building the Gothic Style that is today’s Palace.

The museum is under the control of a group called the Fondazade Musei Civic of Vinuezia. They work with 11 different museums. As I toured the building, I experienced awe at the architectural beauty and the art . Some of the art depicts different Doges painted with the Christ, the Virgin and other Saints. It is a symbol of faith guiding the government.

The winged Lion of St. Mark reminds me of Aslan. A legend says, that when St. Mark was evangelizing in Venice an angel approached him and told him his body would rest in Venice when he died.

When we viewed the Bridge of Sighs our guide told us this story. Lovers will be granted eternal love if they kiss while riding a gondola under the Bridge of Sighs at sunset while the Bells of St. Marks ring.

The evening gondola ride to the restaurant was peaceful. I enjoyed a dish called Taglioni with seafood. They brought so much food no one could eat it all.

Once again I find myself glad for the welcome rest at the end of the day.

Owl with signature







© Copyright 2016 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889834-The-Doge-is-a-leader-of-government