*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/890230-After-Destruction-a-City-Rises
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#890230 added August 18, 2016 at 8:57am
Restrictions: None
After Destruction a City Rises
August 18, 2016 Berlin
We'll staying at the Marriott. Potsdamer Platz location in Berlin, Germany's city centre. Our 370 guest rooms and 9 deluxe suites are each outfitted with in-room entertainment, stone bathrooms with walk-in showers, and fashionable decor. No matter your reason for visiting Berlin, we can help you feel at home with quality amenities such as a 24-hour fitness center and an indoor pool. Dine-in and enjoy delicious steak and seafood from our Midtown Grill, or savor a specialty cocktail from our trendy CATWALK fashion bar. Our well-situated hotel places you near many of Berlin's most notable attractions, including Brandenburg Gate and the Holocaust Memorial.
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bermc-berlin-marriott-hotel/
After lunch at the hotel, we'll be going on another Segway tour
Experience Berlin like never before on this guided, educational and entertaining, 3-hour small-group Segway tour. Berlin is Germany’s capital and cultural centerpiece. Cruise to all its main sites — like the Berlin Wall, Brandenburg Gate, Berlin Cathedral and Museum Island, Reichstag, Gendarmenmarkt and many more — stopping frequently to hear fascinating stories, take pictures and discuss Berlin’s history. Guided Segway training, plus a helmet and poncho (in case of inclement weather) are included. Dress in weather-appropriate clothes with flat, closed-toed shoes. Highlights Segway tour of Berlin See more of the city than you would on a walking tour Cruise by major attractions like the Berlin Wall and Brandenburg Gate
Read more about Berlin Segway Tour - Berlin | Viator at: https://www.viator.com/tours/Berlin/Berlin-Segway-Tour/d488-3933BERSEGWAY?pub=vc...
We're skipping the line for this once in a lifetime experience by celebrating our visit to Berlin with a sky-high meal in the clouds during this VIP dinner 679 feet (207 meters) above the city in the revolving restaurant of the Berlin TV Tower. Enjoy skip-the-line access to the tallest building in Berlin, sitting down for a VIP dinner at Sphere, the revolving eatery located at the tower’s apex. Savor a delicious 2-course dinner at a guaranteed window-seat table, accompanied by three wines and soak up the incredible vistas of nearby Berlin landmarks like Charlottenburg Palace and Checkpoint Charlie. Highlights Skip-the-line VIP dinner atop the famous Berlin TV Tower Treat yourself to an unforgettable dining experience at the top of the highest building in Berlin Enjoy skip-the-line entrance to Sphere, a revolving restaurant at a soaring 679 feet Dine in the elegant atmosphere and admire incredible 360-degree views of Berlin from your table Choose from four dif
ferent dinner menus to suit your taste and savor three glasses of wine.
Read more about Skip the Line: Dinner Atop the Berlin TV Tower - Berlin | Viator at: https://www.viator.com/tours/Berlin/Skip-the-Line-Dinner-atop-the-Berlin-TV-Towe...
Did you check in with your fellow backpackers lately? How are they doing with all this traveling?


Quotes for today are from Brainy Quotes:

1." There are many people in the world who really don't understand-or say they don't-what is the great issue between the free world and the Communist world. Let them come to Berlin!" John F. Kennedy

2."The Berlin Wall go down, that was the most wonderful thing that could happen, absolutely. I celebrated with everybody in Berlin that day when the Wall was down". Nana Mouskouri
Read more at:{link: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/berlin.html}


Owl with signature


We checked into the Marriott. It is a beautiful oasis in the heart of the city. Did you meet the kind, handsome Grill Chef? The Cafe had lots of fresh fruit and salads in a buffet style. Did you see the cat walk? I walked around just to become familiar with the radio room and main lounge area. What a beautiful pool. It seems familiar somehow. I wonder if some movie scenes were shot here? O.K. off to my favorite fun time, a Segway tour.

Ride with me Blue Moon. If you fall off I’ll help you up and we will wheel along on our way. If I fall off? Well, you know, call an ambulance or a wrecker for old well worn objects. I loved the Alexanderplatz square. Don’t laugh I like large flat open spaces. We met the guide and received our Segway training. He was surprised how many of us were experienced on the Segway. Oh, yes he was much taken with Princess Megan Rose. No surprise needed about that.

We saw the Aqueduct. The guide told us about shopping in modern malls, theaters, and concerts. Modern Day Berlin is a very social upbeat public with modern ideas. They do a good job of putting the past behind them and moving on into the 21st century. In a You Tube video by Rick Steves, Steves calls it “the fastest changing city in the world.” The culture is diverse and artistic, plus friendly and sharing.

We also viewed the Reichstag Dome, Holocaust Memorial, and a piece of the wall that once divided Berlin. The city was pretty well smashed in 1945. Now it has modern trains and tourist cruises.

In the 60’s I met an airman’s wife who is German. She met her husband when he was stationed at an airbase in West Germany. Her brother was still living in East Germany and the wall was still in place. She told me this story. There were many people who wanted to leave East Germany but it was still illegal to migrate. He could not get legal passage to leave. However, there was an underground movement to bring relatives from the East to the West. It was not a safe thing to do because people caught were sometimes shot or imprisoned for breaking the law. It was still a very strict problem. Her husband joined the under ground who had apparently breached the wall in places, They smuggled out her brother. She was very happy to be living in the USA. The wall fell in 1989. Berlin was united. It’s now the capital of Germany.

After the Segway Tour we rested and wandered for awhile. Dinner was at the top of the Berlin TV Tower. The Sheer is a revolving restaurant at the top of the Tower. I was not sure I wanted to go up there. I once traveled to a restaurant in the top of a tower in Pittsburgh. Just the elevator ride is rather daunting. The dining part was worth it. The food was remarkable and the view? Well....let’s call it aerial.


We sat in the lounge back at the Marriott discussing the trip so far. Those of us who visited the Terezin and other holocaust sites were sorrowful toward human history. Other comments centered on the wines of Europe. Princess Megan brought us up to date on castle lore she is absorbing. I told people about the olive culture and farms I have managed to visit. Everyone seems to be having and amazing time touring Europe. It was a very nice way to finish the day.

Merit Badge in Blogging
[Click For More Info]

Congrats on winning 3rd place in the Jan. 2016  [Link To Item #30dbc] !

.


© Copyright 2016 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/890230-After-Destruction-a-City-Rises