*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/893628-November-Fantasy-Newsletter-Deadline-103116
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#893628 added November 2, 2016 at 8:58am
Restrictions: None
November Fantasy Newsletter (Deadline 10/31/16)
Mythological Monsters #11

Some beast from American Folklore

Where is my wampus cat and my axehandle hound?

Has anyone seen my Axehandle hound?
Is he stalking your campground?
Where is my Wampus cat?
Is she hunting a giant rat?

Letter from the Editor

Wampus

According the Cherokee mythology, the Wampus cat or beast was a woman who was turned into a cat by a spell. This creature is a huge cat that looks like a Panther or mountain lion. The Wampus cat, whose eye glow brightly, usually has black or dark fur. Cherokee legend refers to this creature as a Ewah.

Hoop Snake

The hoop snake is another creature of American mythology. These creatures are said to have stingers on their tail. They also have the ability to grab their tails roll down a hill like a hula hoop. One of the more interesting beliefs about hoop snakes is their ability to kill trees. It is said that if one of these snakes rolls into a tree while chasing its prey then the tree will die.

Wendigo

The Wendigo comes from Algonquain folklore tradition. This mythological creature which is either an evil spirit or a cannibal monster roams the foreats of the Great Lakes and the north Atlantic coast. The Wendigo is a horrific looking bipedal creature that resemble a gaunt human or humanoid creature. The medical term Windigo psychosis gets its name from this monster.

Axehandle Hound

Axehandle hounds are night roaming creatures usually sighted in Wisconsin and Minnesota. This stubby legged canine gets it name from the shape of its head. Its head is shapped like an axe. This creatures main food source is axe-handles. So if you are camping in Minnesota or Wisconsin you do not want to leave your axe outside you tent or camper at night.

Editors Picks

1. Choices
2. leprechaun who went to church
3. Time Worf
4. ASHLANDS chapter one
5. The Airship war
6. The Dream Fairies
7. Shining Stars
8. Overshot - Chapter 1
9. Ode to Data

 
STATIC
Choices   (18+)
A woman faces the consequences of her choices
#1949563 by Author Ed Anderson

Excerpt: “That choice that you are thinking about, rethink it.” This woman stepped out of the alley and warned me. I was walking down the street, minding my own business when she approached me. I looked at her and wondered if I was being set up. Maybe this was some kind of prank reality show set up. “Divorcing Richard is a huge mistake. Sure he cheats and sometimes goes days without taking a shower or getting dressed but it’s not as if you are an angel. Need I remind you of that young college boy you picked up when you went out with ‘coworkers’?”

 
STATIC
leprechaun who went to church  (E)
Little man in green comes to visit with me.
#1982105 by dogpack:saving 4 premium: DWG

Excerpt: While I was enjoying my breakfast this Sunday morning before going to church, a little man dressed in green popped up at my door. He was polite, hungry, and lost. I was not at all prepared for guests, so offered to him a bagel and explained I was going to church so he would have to leave.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2095406 by Not Available.

Excerpt: From the Curie to the Enterprise
         there stood Ryker, not allowing Worf to surmise
         anything amiss from an Argussian sunrise
         nor from a Captain of the ship's birthday surprise...

 
STATIC
ASHLANDS chapter one  (E)
In the barren Ashlands, the automaton Tommy Coggins hopes for a future and a friend.
#2097687 by SisterCrow

Excerpt: Hazel eyes, softly human, scanned the night sky for stars through wisps of smoke and ash. On nights like this, restless winds high above would stir the air and dust, and even block the moon if it was thick enough. Lids clicked mechanically, clearing the view as he continued to search from the rooftop.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2096369 by Not Available.

Excerpt: Alexas Arizona, so named because his mother just thought it would be funny, was captain of an helium airship.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2099960 by Not Available.

Excerpt: Once upon a time. A long time ago. When the world was young and there was magic in the air, there lived the dream fairies.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2100356 by Not Available.

Excerpt: There was once a little girl who dreamed of touching the stars whenever she looked up in the sky. One very large star flickered and twinkled so brightly, it never failed to catch her attention.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2094480 by Not Available.

Excerpt: “Specialist Ty!”

 I am Data  (E)
A brief respect for the android that tried so hard to be human.
#2100217 by lukegoff

Excerpt: Yes, I am a construct. I fathom human behavior though much better than you might imagine. Though no feelings I possess, I emulate as best as I can, many processes have gone into that very subject. Millions in fact. Though I cannot comprehend all that I understand, I have enough presence of mind to know that I am held in high regard, though always as a lesser being.


dogpack:saving 4 premium: DWG writers: You asked for word art about family and friends so even though this isn't actually about a friend, I thought for this purpose I would be able to call this individual my friend. Thank you for sharing about the celtic mythology and halloween. Safe travels and many blessings.

writetight writes: Thanks for mentioning my "Invalid Item in your Halloween newsletter.
Dan

© Copyright 2016 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/893628-November-Fantasy-Newsletter-Deadline-103116