*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/896327-End-of-November-Fantasy-Newsletter-deadline-112816
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#896327 added December 5, 2016 at 10:42am
Restrictions: None
End of November Fantasy Newsletter (deadline 11/28/16)
Mythological Monsters #12

Obscure Mythological Creatures

Do you have a vampire cat or a weretiger?


Vampire cats and weretigers
Frighten the unwary,
While the Leprechaun's drunken cousin
Sours your fine wine.


There are numerous well know monsters haunting the pages of folklore and fantasy. Some of these creatures are from the mythology of various cultures and nations across the world. Other are the creations of the fertile imagination of poets and novelist. There are other mythological monsters that very few people have heard about. Some of these obscure monsters are vampire cats, weretigers, Clurichaun, and Lausks to name just a few.

The Clurichaun, who appears to spine most of its time drunk, is related to the Leprechaun. If you treat this creature well then it will help you by protecting your wine. However, if you treat it badly then it will either sour your wine or steal it before making your life miserable.

The Lausks, who appears to be related to Jack Frost, is a fur covered winter spirit carrying either a crystal or a silver axe. It uses the axe to test the strength of your house by striking the wall or the roof. When you go outdoors then this monster pinches your nose, ears, or cheeks until the turn red.

The vampire cat is a vengeful spirit that takes vengence on anyone deliberately harming a cat. While the weretiger or werecat is the feline equivalent to the werewolf. Obviously these aren't your normal cuddly little house cats.

There are several other lesser known mythological creatures. Some of these are ice elementals, Krakens, a water demon called the Kappa, and the Nian. The Nian, a creature with a the head of lion on a bull's body, comes down from the mountains on New Year's Day to harass villagers and eat their livestock.

Editors Picks

1. In The Land Called Anthromorphia
2. Cruise to Uranus
3. A Legendary Encounter
4. Search for a Song
5. Almost Human
6. Snake Oil
7. Shining Stars
8. The [Clockwork] Raven
9. Harry the Hamster

 In The Land Called Anthromorphia  (E)
In the land called Anthromorphia contest entry
#2101034 by dogpack:saving 4 premium: DWG

Excerpt: In the land called Anthromorphia each day brings joy and happiness to those creatures who enjoy each others company and work well together. Whenever any creature is upset, often many of these friendly individuals gather around the individual needing understanding and comfort to sooth the jangled nerves and unhappy demeanor. Often the gathering of necessities is a village affair with even the youngest members diligently doing their part to benefit everyone.

 Cruise to Uranus.  (E)
The gas mining ship- Planetarya is on course to Uranus.
#2102785 by kajidoh

Excerpt: It was a quintessential day out in the tremendous region of Sol, the gas mining ship Planetarya was due to arrive at Uranus to extract gases from the expansive atmosphere of the gas giant. The ship was closing in on Uranus's orbit and it was preparing to descend.

 
BOOK
Gossamer Threads - Book III  (18+)
Continuation of Joe's writing
#2102929 by tucknits

Excerpt: “Captain! Sir!! Ve have spotted zom objects floating towards ze Enterprise! Zay are life forms,” reported Chekov to Captain Kirk.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1998585 by Not Available.

Excerpt: On a large tropical island in the Caribbean lived a species of birds that had a most beautiful song. Their music had rhythm that made the body move and the heart laugh. The beat of their song called to the very soul. Their song was well-known across the world and cherished.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2103317 by Not Available.

Excerpt: Dr. Dalton Winslow loaded his program and waited for the results. His nerves were on edge and for good reason. He'd poured his heart and soul into his vision of creating an AI like none other ever envisioned. These AIs would make the armed forces obsolete. They would revolutionize robotics. In many ways he felt like a father awaiting the birth of his first child, except there were six of them. The first six of what he envisioned as millions.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2102655 by Not Available.

Excerpt: The health issue of the ‘National Enquirer’ flew off the shelves faster than the trucks could bring more in. Headlines read ‘Popcorn smothered in Tomato Sauce Cures Cancer’. People tore it out of each other's hands to get one. “Fish Heads Eaten Raw Fix Flu’ screamed a sidebox. Scalpers hung around the empty news racks building up the price, even while hacking and having coughing fits. No-one had an actual cure. Everyone was desperately hunting one.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2100356 by Not Available.

Excerpt: There was once a little girl who dreamed of touching the stars whenever she looked up in the sky. One very large star flickered and twinkled so brightly, it never failed to catch her attention.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2007446 by Not Available.

Excerpt: The raven clenched the wood of the driver's bench in the open carriage, unable to move. The driver's shoulder nudged his tail feathers, but the raven could not react.

STATIC
Harry the Hamster  (13+)
A hamster saves the human race - for Sally because she loves hamsters - Quills 2016 Winner
#2103788 by Christopher Roy Denton

Excerpt: I cowered in the darkness in the corner of my cage. My stomach rumbled, and I wished I had some seeds to gnaw on with my large front teeth. Both my cheek pouches were empty, and I couldn't remember the last time I'd had spare food to store in them. There was never enough food.


chord0 writes: thank you for your informative newsletter as always! I enjoyed the numerous stories about Star trek, it is one of my favorite TV shows, interesting and entertaining at the same time.
Thank you for the information on American Indian mythology here. Happy Halloween!
gchord0

dogpack:saving 4 premium: DWG writes: The information about the mythological monsters for me was enlightening and informative. Fantasy is a new adventure into writing and reading. I appreciate the honor of having my story chosen for editors picks in this issue. Do you have resources which you feel are illuminating and a plethora of valuable information which would help my research into fantasy writing and reading?

bogengine writes: I apreciate the Editors pick.

yours; mystdream


© Copyright 2016 Prosperous Snow Valentine (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow Valentine has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/896327-End-of-November-Fantasy-Newsletter-deadline-112816