*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
26
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/901240-Gravel-and-Shingles
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#901240 added January 5, 2017 at 1:05pm
Restrictions: None
Gravel and Shingles
Merit Badge in The Monthly Reading Challenge
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations for hitting your  [Link To Item #1945699]  goal in September 2015. Very impressive. Keep reading! *^*BigSmile*^*


Are you on the road, or are you safely at home? Think about it...


I was driving, driving, driving. There was no scenery just a dirt road reeling out before me. The view in front of me was endless blank scenery beside the length of the road stretching into the horizon. White landscape unfolded on the right and left sides of the road without any kind of anything. The dirt of the road was a light brown color unraveling out before me like the brown string of a ball of yarn, as the motion of the vehicle continued toward the skyline in the far, far distance.

Then I noticed the one other piece of color. It was the skyline itself. It started out as a light blue stretching across the road and out to both sides. As I traveled the distant line of color across the postcard view became darker. The light blue faded to darker blue in stages of vibrant colors then it became black. I was still driving through daylight so I knew the black across the horizon could not be the night. Lightning flashed without a sound where the brown gravel road met the sky.

The motion of the vehicle stopped. I was impatient to reach the end of the road. I left the vehicle behind and started walking toward what looked like the possible ridge line where the road met the sky. I could feel the gravel under the soles of my shoes. In the center of the road was two tracks where other vehicles had worn the gravel smooth with the weight of their frames. As I walked the road was folding under my feet and I felt as if I was making a lot more progress than when I was riding forward in the automobile.

Suddenly, it was there, a house with white siding and a green roof. It sat on the right side of the road where the road met the sky.

I left the road and beelined my way toward the house across a soft springy carpet of green grass. Behind the house, a forest of brown and green rose as if it grew out of a new page in a book. I felt joy when I reached the front door. Back on the road, I feared I had lost my way, but no, here it was the same as when I left it. Waiting for me to return beckoning me to enter.

Whatever was out there on the road, making me take wrong turns and slowing down my progress. This house still stood waiting for me to take shelter from the storms. I opened the door and walked into the beautiful foyer. The dog barked and lept joyously at my feet. The cat curled around my leg purring. The tea kettle whistled from the kitchen.

Soon the mail will arrive bringing bills or notices of problems. Someone will arrive with troublesome news. The storm on the horizon will burst across the house shaking the foundation, but for now peace and the purring of the cat reigns. Safety is where you find it.

Fairy playing a flute


© Copyright 2017 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/901240-Gravel-and-Shingles