*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904922
by RisanF
Rated: 13+ · Book · Young Adult · #2112713
Andrew Champion is given a special project, partnered with the geekiest girl in school
#904922 added April 14, 2017 at 3:16pm
Restrictions: None
Friday
D&C

-
-
*****
-
-

FRIDAY



Mr. Clark's crowded classroom was alive with the chattering of children, like a pentagon of pintsized politicians. They were speaking about their weeklong project with gusto, bantering back and forth enthusiastically on how they did. The school board would've been pleased with the interest they were showing in school matters. To be fair, however, most of the conversation was dealing with how one project was going to another project's ass.

The conversation died as the teacher reentered the room, much like a concert hall does when the conductor gets started. And this conductor, with his ruler tapping his shoulder, demanded nothing short of silence. Mr. Clark stood like a grand commander at the front of the class, ready to deal out prize or punishment at will. There would be no mercy today.

"Class, as you know, this is the final day for our project," he began methodically, stalking about before the white board. "I have heard about many of the results by hearsay. Some of them were honorable." Here, he stared at a batch of reliable A students, who sat smugly in their seats. "Some were very dishonorable." His gaze shifted to the back row, where two students stiffened visibly at the unwelcome attention.

"I wish he wouldn't bring that up," Slick muttered to Justin, melting under his teacher's leaden gaze.

"We have many varying stories among us, which are sure to be inspiring," Mr. Clark continued, halting in-between the middle rows of seats. "Two students have requested before class that they go first. Mr. Champion, Ms. Reichardt." He gestured to two seats at opposite ends of the room. "Please come forth."

The classroom's collective mouth was agape as Andy and Tarah proceeded to the front of the classroom, looking like it was the most natural thing in the world to be together. Coming to a halt just to the left of Mr. Clark, they stood side by side, with one paper between them. For a few seconds, they whispered back and forth amongst each other on how to conduct their speech. Then, with a small cough, Andy began.

"'I don't know much about free-will,'" he started, staring straight ahead at the twenty or so students crowded around the room. "’I always assumed I had it and that was that, but then I encountered events that made me doubt whether it even existed at all. It was then I realized that free-will was not just a God given right, it was also a tool to be used. It is from here that the term 'willpower' comes into play, for you need strength of character to wield it properly and enact your own design upon your life.’"

At this point, Andy handed the paper over to Tarah. "’There are people who let life drift on by, without taking time to use their free-will," she chirped, a bright expression on her face. "'But everybody has the power to change their life for the better, no matter their situation. Children and adults alike, we can all put to use our free-will and shape a future we're proud to live in. This is what Andy and Tarah think.’"

And then they stopped, and took a short bow to the class. The class was stunned.

"Excellent job," Mr. Clark commended them, a slight smile on his face. "A rival for high school thinking, I believe. Class, you would do well to remember their words." He made a motion towards the desks. "You may take your seats."

The two started back toward their desks, looking fairly confident in themselves. As they went, the entire class followed them with their eyes, as it just dawned on them what had happened. Tarah had a huge, ear to ear smile on her face, looking like she had just received her birthday gift five months early. And Andy had the stoic look of a warrior who had just won a battle, and was ready for the rest of the war.

Along the way to his desk, Justin whispered harshly into Andy's ear. "Champion, what are you doing?" he hissed, leaning forward to look him in the face.

Andy closed his eyes, any indecision on his face vanishing. "Whatever I want," he responded, a wry grin coming to his lips.

Andy and Tarah took their seats, and class resumed.

-
-
*****
-
-

In the hollows of the empty school corridors, two pairs of footsteps were heard echoing down to the lunchroom.

"Thanks for carrying my bug jars, Andrew," Tarah said, happily proceeding down the hallway with her books tucked between her arms.

"I still can't understand how you managed to get them from class to class," Andy responded, closing one eye and peering at her through the other.

"I take two trips," she explained, giggling lightly and smiling up at him.

The two reached the doorway to the lunchroom. The boy started to put his hand upon it, but Tarah quickly latched onto his arm. "You really don't mind, right?" she asked him, a somewhat vulnerable expression on her face. "Being friends, I mean?"

Andy just smiled gently, putting his hand firmly on top of hers. "I'm ready for this," he told her. "So the rest of the world will have to get ready for us."

The braided, bespectacled girl stood for a moment with a small blush on her face. But soon, she broke out into a beaming grin. "Okay!"

They both turned back towards the door, making brave faces as they pushed it open. A beam of light burst forth, along with the lunch hour gabbing of the school. Tarah took a short glance at Andy, as if trying to reassure herself that the boy was still there. Andy just closed his eyes, holding his hand to his heart as if in prayer.

It had been fine to inch along for a while, but he couldn't move like a caterpillar forever. The metamorphosis was done, and he had new wings for flying through the sky. To soar upon the currents he chose, with all the other butterflies of the world.

Wish me luck, Mom.

With Tarah, he headed through the door and into a new adventure. Ready for all the danger that came with being alive.



END
© Copyright 2017 RisanF (UN: risanf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RisanF has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904922