*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905235
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2110197
A chain of vignettes.
#905235 added February 22, 2017 at 5:34am
Restrictions: None
F-22 Words-625
sigh silently. Once again it was to the tune of 70k. With her mind in turmoil, Cathy got up from her seat and said to the stranger,

“OK sir, this is a large sum. I will have to enquire with the manager if we have that much with us right now. Please be seated and I will be back in no time,” so saying Cathy quickly walked into the manager’s room.

She went in and interrupted the boss who was on phone with someone. She made a signal that something urgent had cropped up and that the matter needed his immediate attention.

Mr. Anderson, the manager nodded to her to come in and asked her to sit down.

“What is the matter Cathy?” he enquired.
“Sir, the person we wanted to catch red-handed is right there. He came with a forged cheque and wants cash. I told him I will check with you about cash. He is waiting outside,” said Cathy quite excited and tensed as well. Obviously, she did not want the culprit to escape this time round.

The manager crossed his fingers, rested his elbows on the table before him and thought as to how to act at such a crucial moment. Known as a clever and quick acting person, Mr. Anderson came up with a plan five minutes later.

He said,
“Cathy, you did the right thing in consulting with me. Now listen to me carefully. Go out and tell him that we don’t have enough money to encash his cheque. Ask him to come back at four in the evening. Above everything you should act normal. He should not have an inkling of doubt that something is happening behind his back. Got it?”

“Yes sir, got it right,” replied Cathy walking out to the front room.

She saw the tall guy pacing the veranda outside the bank. She pressed the buzzer and when the office boy brought him in, said to the dubious customer,
“Sir, I sorry, I made you wait. As I said before, the manager says he is just leaving to get cash from the treasury. It would be an inconvenience to you but you need to come in the afternoon for the money,” Cathy replied in a cool and composed voice.

The man asked, “at what time?”
“At four sir,” replied Cathy.

He nodded saying he would be there by four in the afternoon, walked out and was joined by another person just outside the door.

At that point, Cathy stopped talking and checked her watch. It was nearing four pm.
“Ok Jim and John, I will now. You can join me a little later and let us try to have a peak at the culprit and motives behind this theft.”

Cathy left shortly after that. Uncle John said, “Jim if you are busy at your office, you don’t have to come with me.”
I insisted on accompanying him to the Union Bank and see with my own eyes this infamous guy, who dared forging my uncle’s signature on his stolen cheque.

Within a quarter of an hour we started off and within ten short minutes we were at the bank. We parked the car by the kerb and walked in through the side entrance. Cathy was there to receive us and took us to the manager’s room. We were able to watch the proceedings at the front room counters as customers went about their transactions. Anticipation hung heavily on us.

At about five minutes four, we saw a blue car sliding into the parking lot and two guys got out. The screen on the window did not allow us to get a clear glimpse of the persons. So we waited with bated breath for them to enter






© Copyright 2017 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905235