*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905401-Workin-for-a-Living
Rated: GC · Book · Opinion · #1591550
One writer's journey
#905401 added February 24, 2017 at 7:16am
Restrictions: None
Workin for a Living
Prompt:
Have you ever taken a job you didn't want in order to support yourself?
Yes, multiple times.

What was it?
The first time I was 15 and it was Dino's Pizza. Under the table of course *Laugh* Until I was 16, but I had to quit that job because the asshole boss was all hands. Then I worked at United Technologies. I had a new/used car I had to pay my mom and grandfather back for. I hated that office job. Never take a job when you know you are replacing someone that EVERYONE loves. They will let you know daily how you don't measure up. In 2003 R just got the garage and we weren't making money so I had to go look for a job. He suggested I try City Hall. BAM! Tested. Passed. Interviewed. Passed. Hired. It was so quickly I couldn't believe it. And I hadn't worked in a decade. But, I did love my co-workers and the job was pretty good on most days.

In "The Meaning of Work," an episode of NPR's TED Radio Hour, psychologist Barry Schwartz asks, "Why is it that, for the overwhelming majority of people on the planet, the work they do has none of the characteristics that gets us up and out of bed and off toward the office every morning?"
Good question. I don't necessarily think people realize what they truly want to do until after they've gone through college and graduated. Once you have that degree in hand it's more difficult to change course. You have personal financial debt, parents waiting to see you working and earning your way. Now you're trapped. Besides. if we all could earn money staying home, wouldn't we? I sure as hell would.

Are you working in your dream profession now?
*Rolling* *Laugh* Oh how I wish. As soon as my new DIL gets situated, I'll be out looking for a job. I need to pay my personal debt down, and I am in desperate need of a change. A new job would be great. Keep your fingers crossed that I actually find something I like.



FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer


© Copyright 2017 Purple is House Florent (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple is House Florent has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905401-Workin-for-a-Living