*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905509
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2110197
A chain of vignettes.
#905509 added February 26, 2017 at 8:59am
Restrictions: None
F-26 Words-725
I announced my idea to mom, uncle John and Jonathan. They were not game for it to begin with, but after I told them how it would divert us from being too worried, they fell in with my plans.
I rang Ashley and invited her to join us. She was free during the weekend. She came within half an hour. Her smile and cheer refreshed us. I remembered the date we made to meet during the weekend. This would serve the same purpose much better.

I booked two rooms on line, at a hotel near the beach resort known as the “Turtle Beach.” They provided bed and breakfast at reasonable rates. During summer, thousands of turtles came out from the sea to the beach to lay eggs. Hence, the name of the beach. During the rest of the year it was a tourist attraction. People could rest and relax. They could indulge in swimming and sightseeing. They could row to the small islands located around the resort. I knew it would be an ideal place to propose to Ashley.
We reached the spot by seven in the evening. The sea was calm and the breakers were few. The full moon was up in a clear sky. What could be more romantic than nature which was beautiful at any given time of any season? Strains of a romantic melody floated to us on the wings of a soft wind. Well, the setting is god- made. Let us see what happens to a man-made proposal.
We took bags from the trunk and walked into the neon-lit lobby of the hotel. We had dinner at the restaurant. It was enjoyable. The main courses were made of fish and lobsters, prepared in Indian style. They were tasty despite being hot and spicy.
After dinner Jonathan and uncle John went into the video game parlor while mom said she would like to retire for the night. Ashley and I decided to walk on the beach.

There were few people on the beach. We walked from one end of the beach to the other with our hands linked. Her lavender based perfume was pleasing. She wore her hair down. It waved like spun silk wrapping thick and blonde around her shoulders. Ashley looked up at the moon and lo! How beautiful her eyes were! luminous with the reflection of the moonlight. Their shimmer and sheen was too much to resist. I turned her in my arms and kissed her petal-soft lips deep and passionate. I could listen to my own heartbeat. I knew in that moment that she belonged to me.
“Ashley darling, will you marry me?” my voice was hoarse to my ears.
“Are you sure Jim?” she whispered in a soft voice.
“Like never before, my love. You are the first and last girl I loved and wanted to marry for keeps,” I answered without a falter.
“Let us choose an early date for wedding Jim darling.” I was thrilled by the ardor and intensity in her voice.
Half an hour later, we walked back to the hotel. The night was balmy and the air was cool. I fell asleep dreaming of Ashley and her sweet smile. I am sure she did the same.

Morning dawned and the sun was shining bright and bold. Mom, Jonathan and uncle John were looking fresh and well rested. Ashley was literally glowing with the newfound happiness.
We went to the restaurant and sat around the table I reserved earlier. Conversation flew about and everyone wanted to have a say about something they found special about this place. I saw the result of coming out of home and share life with others. I looked around and saw couples and children, people young and old having a good time. It made a difference to get out and dine outside at least once in a while, and listen to the voices and opinions of people in our society. After all, no man is an island. The good feeling you get after being sociable could be very effective, like for example, Jonathan’s attitude. After eating his cheese sandwich and garden omelet, I saw him getting out of his chair to join some boys playing volley ball outside. Wonderful!

“Mom and uncle John, I have an announcement to make. Ashley and I decided to marry,” I said
© Copyright 2017 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905509