*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905950-Poetry-Forms
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#905950 added March 3, 2017 at 10:05pm
Restrictions: None
Poetry Forms
Jalál (Glory), 4 ‘Alá’ (Loftiness), 173 BE - Friday, March 3, 2017 CE about 5:59 PM Pacific Standard Time

I found another poetry form I want to try. The Pathya Vat1 is an oriental form from Cambodia. A Pathya Vat stanza is composed of four lines with four syllables each. If the poem has a single stanza then the rhyme is on the two middle lines, 4.a.a.4, but if it has more then one stanza then the first stanza rhymes, 1.a.a.b, while the second rhymes 4.b.b.c and so on for as many stanzas as the poet chooses. I'm contemplating a poem about the Nineteen-Day Fast using this form.


Another form I want to attempt is one created by David Marshall. This form, the Haiku Sonnet2, combines the sonnet with the haiku. It is composed of fourteen lines in five stanzas. The first four stanzas contain three lines each with a syllable count of 5/7/5 and the final stanza is a couplet with a syllable count of seven and/or five syllables. A crown of haiku sonnets is composed of seven haiku sonnets that are linked.

The third form I want to try is a cinquain3 which is a five line form of 2/4/6/8/2 syllable. A cinquain chain is a group of linked cinquain stanzas with the first line of the following stanza beginning with last line of the previous stanza. The last stanza in a chain ends with the first line of the first stanza as the last line of the final stanza. In a cinquain swirl the first line becomes the link. There are no stanzas in the cinquain swirl instead the lines are united in one poem following the normal cinquain syllable count.

Footnotes
1  http://www.thepoetsgarret.com/orient/pathyavat.html
2  https://dmarshall58.wordpress.com/haiku-sonnets/
3  http://www.thepoetsgarret.com/2014Challenge/form04.html


© Copyright 2017 Prosperous Snow Valentine (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow Valentine has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905950-Poetry-Forms