*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907137-Opinions-and-Desires
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#907137 added March 20, 2017 at 3:56pm
Restrictions: None
Opinions and Desires
Often we see cases where someone in a celebrity status is questioned about matters that have nothing to do with their narrow area of achievement. For some reason the public thinks that if a person is accomplished on one field of endeavor it follows that they must also be accomplished in others.

Now Joe the plumber is accomplished in the trade "Plumbing" and if I need that skill I will certainly pay attention to what he says. However, when he drifts into other areas, where his expertise does not qualify that is a different matter altogether. The reason I point this out is because everybody has an opinion on practically every aspect of life, but that opinion is not always based upon experience, long study and aptitude. So the saying that opinions are like A-Holes, everybody has one, hits the nail right on the head!

If you ever go to a tavern and listen to the patrons as they get revved up you'll know what I'm talking about. Not only about opinions but other things as well. I have never heard someone say over a beer that.... "The reason my life is so screwed up is because of the bad choices I've made." You simply will never hear this fundamental truth expressed. The "Reasons" always given are things like my wife, my boss, the church, and the list goes on and on. This goes to show that people don't use "Reason" in assessing the situations in which they find themselves. An "Excuse" is not a "Reason." Reason is a process for assessing facts and assumptions given a problem statement. The possibilities are then considered and the optimal choice selected and acted upon.

Sometimes when I go to an RC model swap meet, I'll see a model that sends a thrill through my being, or I marvel at the craftsmanship, feeling a sense of wonder. I want to buy it, wrap my arms around it and hustle my purchase out the door. When my friend, Ron, asks why I bought it I don't say.... "Because I lusted after it." I tell him some "Reason" because this connotes some kind of a rational thought process was behind the purchase rather than a glandular secretion.

I have no idea what the connection is between "Opinion" and "Desire." Perhaps somebody out there can make the connection.... I'm writing this because I need a blog entry for today and can't think of anything better to write about.


© Copyright 2017 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907137-Opinions-and-Desires