*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907153-My-Mother-Marie-Pearl
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#907153 added March 19, 2017 at 1:26pm
Restrictions: None
My Mother: Marie Pearl
Jamál (Beauty), 19 ‘Alá’ (Loftiness), 173 BE - Sunday, March 19, 2017 CE

About My Mother

A picture of my mother

Today, March 19, 2017, would have been my mother's 96th birthday. Mama was born on March 19, 1921 on a farm somewhere in northern Oklahoma. She was the only daughter of Mary Pearl Chaplin Newland and Frank Spence Newland. Mama was raised a Southern Baptist and, while in Blackwell, Oklahoma, attended the First Southern Baptist church or the First Southern Baptist Mission located in the Smelter Heights in Blackwell. Because of divorce she was a single mother of four children and raised them on a waitress salary (which was below minimum wage at the time).


Sometime in middle to late part of the twentieth century, Mom moved, with the rest of us, moved to Las Vegas, Nevada. It was in Las Vegas that she heard about Baha'u'llah and declared her belief in Him. For many years Mom worked at the Showboat Hotel Casino of Boulder Highway. She worked in the coffee shop and in the employees dinning room until the place closed. It was, also, in Las Vegas that Mom begin to write poetry. She passed into the Abha Kingdom on Thursday, February 29, 2012.

BOOK
My Mother's Poems  (E)
This is a collection of poems written by my mother.
#1908512 by Prosperous Snow celebrating


© Copyright 2017 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907153-My-Mother-Marie-Pearl