*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907287-Spraying-my-Big-Stick
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#907287 added March 21, 2017 at 10:16am
Restrictions: None
Spraying my Big Stick
Yesterday I masked and painted the white on the control surfaces.

To make this work I had to have them attached to each of the wings. Not only does the top and bottom have to match, but the dowel holes have to align, the paint lines match and also where the servo rods attach the wing and control surface. These are too many variables to have to keep in mind and the only hope I have is to fit them perfectly and paint them while attached to the wing.

I'm sure that people more gifted than me can keep all the differences in mind and paint them individually while removed from the wing but I can't.

In addition to this the paint has to be reduced, and the inner parts of the spray gun kept immaculately clean. I use a product called MEK. It is hard to find because the Meth addicts use the stuff to make drugs.

It is the end of the winter and cold outside. My friend Matt showed me how to use a spray gun last month and it was the blind leading the blind. He hung up one of the wings and the paint ran. Luckily a shop rag dipped in MEK wiped it clean so I could start over. I understand now the saying, "Teaching an old dog new tricks." It is harder and harder as I grow older learning new processes. What was effortless when I was younger now requires twice the effort and concentration. I learned plenty of good from what Matt showed and also some things not to do... like not spraying something that is stood vertically. The gravity makes the paint run... like you didn't already know that.

I used to use "Rattle Cans" to paint my old automobiles and models. Using a spray gun does a much nicer job. I have to be careful to use a mask/ respirator and keep the shop properly ventilated.

You can buy a nice cheap spray gun at Harbor Freight for less than 20 dollars. An air regulator costs another six or seven. Then you need an air supply source which is usually some sort of compressor. Once the paint is mixed you pour it into the cup through a paper strainer. This can be tricky. I hang the gun with the trigger and handle on a plastic garbage can and use the air line supported on a cardboard box to get the orifice of the cup level. This allows me to have two hands free to hold the filter and pour. The cup I use is quite small. It is much larger than an airbrush bottle but much smaller than the "touch-up cup used on an automotive spray gun. You can see the full range at Harbor Freight which is half the cost of buying them anywhere else.

Before pouring the paint into the cup it is necessary to have the sprayer hooked to the airline. I also take a small drill and enlarge the air hole in the cap. If this gets clogged it won't work right and you'll wonder what's wrong. Make sure you read the instructions. Where the paint comes out of the nozzle is a raised linear metal surface that can be turned vertically or horizontally to adjust the spray pattern. At the top of the handle is a screw allowing adjustment of the amount of material flowing through the gun.

If you have used the gun before pour some MEK into the cup and test the pattern. This will help clean it out from the last time you used it, however it is no substitute for taking the gun apart and cleaning it after each use.

To take the gun apart unscrew the Cup and put it in a cleaning container. Now remove the strainer which is a small plastic mesh cylinder with a plastic tab protruding upward. Pull this out and put it in the container. Next unscrew the material flow adjustment screw at the top rear of the gun handle. Take out the spring inside. Put those in the can. Next take the pattern adjustment cap off the end of where the spray comes out. Using a small pliers unloosen the needle value nut inside. Behind it is a plastic ring with holes in it. Put them in the can. Now take out the metering needle. I press it gently agains a wood surface and slide it out the back side of the gun. Put the gun and needle valve into the container. Pour MEK inside and slosh it around wetting down all the surfaces. Then wipe everything dry and reassemble.

Make sure you wear those vitriol gloves. As a general rule I try and absorb as little of these chemicals through my hands and skin as possible.

When spraying it is better to layer than apply a thick coat. After the first layer gets tacky it will tend to run less and the paint can be applied thicker. Practice and decide what is best for you.

There! Now you know as much as I do. After a little practice you'll be ready to take on those rocker panels on your rusty car.

© Copyright 2017 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907287-Spraying-my-Big-Stick