*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907423-The-Favre-Wait
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#907423 added March 23, 2017 at 9:49am
Restrictions: None
The Favre Wait
Something I wrote July 9, 2008 that's probably posted here somewhere or a dead link....

I often drive by Brett Favre's Green Bay home. The other day, I noticed a landscaping crew caring for a nicely manicured lawn. My son asks as we drive by, who is the Packer's new quarterback? 'Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers,' I pronounce slowly. My son is seven. 'Do you think we could stop sometime and ask Brett Favre for his autograph?' I tell him it's not likely.

We never saw Favre outside the house during training camps or the regular season. Now that he's retired, we watch to see if a realtor sticks a sign in the ground. He likely can afford to keep the home anyway, and it probably comes in handy for his trips to and from Green Bay. He still has the upcoming Packer Hall of Fame dinner to attend. I had told my son about this, prompting yet another request to have a chance encounter with this person he hears so much about but has only briefly seen play.

No, the only time someone I knew had reported seeing Brett outside his Green Bay home was early on a Tuesday morning after the second or third game of the season. He was playing with his hunting dog, probably a beagle in the yard. My wife knows his neighbor who told her he had the dog flown up from Mississippi because he missed his hunting companion. The dog apparently wasn't content in Green Bay, and wound up back in Kiln during the season.

It must have been a lonely year. An old dog was learning new tricks, it seemed, hearing how Favre had to relearn his footwork from McCarthy. He apparently spent more time watching film and had to put in more time preparing for games. He likely paid a toll. He seemed to run out of gas in that playoff game against the Giants. A lot of people commented that wasn't like him, to just tank like that in a cold weather game. Others said, that's what they've come to expect from him in recent years. To choke. I wonder how that has been sitting with Brett.

He said he was retired. Now he wants to unretire. It's hard to figure out what led to all this. Did he feel obligated to give Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy and the Packer organization a decision on another year and decided too early? Did he start to doubt himself after the way the Giants game panned out? He was that close to the Super Bowl again and maybe after the season he just decided he couldn't do it again. But then, wait. He's had some time now. Maybe, he's reconsidered what he has left and what he can still accomplish.

But it's likely the employer and not the employee that complicates the decision. The old dog that learned new tricks might feel he still has some more tricks in the bag. Is Thompson too stubborn to let Favre go out or come back on his own terms? Perhaps, he wants to make Favre jump through those hoops knowing he can wear the old quarterback down. Take the fun out of the game so he'll want to retire, so Thompson can look ahead with Rodgers and the future of the organization. Why in such a hurry?

It seemed they rushed a Favre retirement ceremony by making it the first game of this season. That puts a lot of pressure on Rodgers who would have to begin a new era. The rumors that Thompson wouldn't return a text message from Favre is being aired in the media. It makes me wonder who puts that information out there and for what reasons. Is Thompson being portrayed as indifferent to the star quarterback, to perhaps reveal what many may suspect? Has he been trying to shed the most beloved player in franchise history? Is Thompson really stonewalling last year's MVP in a world without Tom Brady?

A shareholders meeting is around the corner and Favre is scheduled to make a presentation on behalf of Frank Winters at the Packer Hall of Fame dinner. A lot has to happen in a short time, or this could become a messy divorce. And Packers fans might feel like helpless offspring watching their parents feud. Uniquely, the team is owned by shareholders, giving fans greater voice. Does this turn up the heat on Thompson to play his cards right? Because, it appears, now Favre and his camp are forcing his hand.

I think the Packer's may have been trying to nudge and now shove Favre out of the picture. And last season didn't show that he could still play? Isn't the team better with him rather than with that other guy? Who has been injured more, ironically it's Rodgers who's missed games while Favre was the starter. Of course, the Packers are better with Favre. And, doesn't he fire up those players, doesn't he lead? What is Thompson afraid of here? That Favre will show up? Why?

Brett Favre is money. You could say he generates more revenue for the organization, brings more attention to the franchise, and gives you a better shot at winning another title. Favre worked extra hard and took your team that close to the Super Bowl, and you stood by to watch him explode from carrying that enormous burden on his back? And now you, the Packer organization, want to call him a yo-yo too wishy-washy to know what he wants. If Favre had the appropriate time, he would have said he'd play again. And now, like some speculated, he will be back to play because he can. Ted Thompson, you have to do the right thing.

You can say it's Favre's fault you wasted two draft picks on quarterbacks. But, everything happens for a reason. Maybe, the ironman who's never missed a game could ironically go down in a heap. It just adds to the story, the legend, whatever happens. Don't give him the bum's rush. But if this is all a ploy by both sides to help Favre find a warmer environment so you won't have to explain a parting of ways to fans, shame on you all.

Talk to him. Find out what he wants. But you know, don't you. And I think he wants to know that you want him. But you don't want to let him think that any more. But he can play. He wants to play. He's forcing your hand and you can't trade him away, even though he would let you.

I hope you're vacation wasn't spoiled Ted. I hope you're rested and ready to answer questions for those shareholders. There are too many people to silence this time around. McCarthy could barely silence a room of kids at a recent fundraiser. I know what my son would say.

I think I'll drive by Brett's house a couple extra times next week. If my son is brave enough, I'll let him ask for that autograph. I would love to ask Brett to share what's on his mind. It would be nice to know what has been standing in his way. I don't begrudge him for announcing his retirement prematurely. We know too well the coming out of retirement stories. Like the George Foremans of the world, this is what old guys like me live for. One more shot at glory, to feel whole, to be doing something well that we love and to be admired for it.


"Who's Tampering With Whom?
"Packers Losing Me
"Packers Clean House-Favre Last On List

"Brett Favre Scandal After Retirement Yrs [E]
"Invalid Item



© Copyright 2017 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907423-The-Favre-Wait