*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/908618
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2110197
A chain of vignettes.
#908618 added April 8, 2017 at 2:46am
Restrictions: None
A-8 Words-1025
Pandemonium broke out when the names were announced. Once again Ashley and I were mobbed. Everyone teased us by calling us the golden couple on whom dame luck kept on smiling. Well meaning jokes went flying across the hall. Ashley blushed sweetly, a delicious pink creeping on to her cheeks and made her look like painter’s dream. Ashley and I were the chosen couple of the evening, with the tagline “made for each other.” Mr. Moore presented a cache of goodies to each of the couples that made it to the first, second and third place honors. In between, dinner was served buffet style. Each of us relished a very tasty meal made of Chinese chou-mei, Indian chicken Biryani, and Spanish tacos, Russian salad followed by Italian ice-cream and American cakes and chocolates. The ensemble was amazing and I complemented Mr. and Mrs. Moore for their discerning choice of a meal that was sumptuous and delicious. Mrs. Moore was a nice lady and knew how to take an involuntary complement like mine. She smiled and acknowledged the complement.
“Enjoy yourself Jim. This is your day. I wish you both long years of happiness and success,” she said as stood at the door bidding good bye to those who were leaving.

It was eleven in the night by the time we got out after saying our thanks and goodbyes to everyone. We shook hands with Mr. and Mrs. Moore and took our leave.

“That was a memorable evening, love,” murmured Ashley as she rested her head on my shoulder. With less rush and with only a few cars on the highway, it was much easier to drive even at eleven in the night.
“More so for me darling because you are by my side,” I said, putting my arm around her shoulders and pulling her close to me. Ashley fell asleep in the cool interior of the car.
The moment we reached her home, I woke her with a gentle kiss on her fair eyelids. She opened her lovely eyes and smiled like the white moon glowing above in the dark sky.

I dropped Ashley at her place and came home. It was a very beautiful and memorable evening. But I stopped short of counting my blessings. I know I couldn’t do it till I fulfill my duties and completed my assignments.
I reached home and parked the sedan quietly in the driveway. A single light burned in the porch. I experienced peace and pleasure in the quiet surrounds of the suburb.

I tiptoed into my room so did not disturb my mom and Jonathan.Waves of deep sleep enveloped me as I dwelt on my Ashley’s beauty and my life with her. Sweet dreams baby!


Next morning dawned on a damp note. Grey clouds greeted me as I rose to the new day. There was a strong hint of rain or thunder shower in the skies. I loved the rainy days as well. They washed the brown off the trees and bushes and nature attained a fresh sparkle and a brand new coat of green after rain. I looked at the lonely road outside the window, I could sense that people were getting ready to face the day and the concerns it brought along. Rain or no rain, everyone must work to survive. Of course, it did make difference if you were doing it with pain or pleasure.
I suddenly recalled uncle John’s phone call. He said he would be here today and that there was a new twist to the forgery case. He said, he was on his way to our home and that he would meet the bank manager because he called him and made an appointment with him.

I called uncle John to confirm his coming home to us
“Should I wait for you Uncle? Do you need me with you?” I asked.
Uncle John replied he didn’t need me right then. If there was a need he would tell me. Satisfied with his assured voice, I went away to my firm as usual. Having finished my scheduled works on time, I asked my boss to relieve me an hour earlier than usual. He had let me go. My plan was to join uncle John and know the latest development in the forgery case.

Uncle John was about to leave for the Union Bank as he had an appointment with them. We went to the place at half past two in the afternoon. Mr. Anderson, the manager was ready to receive us and took us to his office. He offered us cool drinks and looked happy. It was as if he found a missing link in this half solved case.

“You know John, Cathy has proved her capability once again in helping us trace the forgery culprit.”
John broke into a spontaneous smile.
He said, “Isn’t she a real asset to the bank sir?”
Anderson nodded in consent.
“Let me start at the beginning. Cathy lives in a quiet suburban area of the city. She lives with her mother and a younger sister. During the last weekend, her sister Lucy went to a party with her friend Amanda. It was one of her classmate’s Birthday party. After the party, the two girls were returning home. They were passing by small but well painted house. As they were going past that house, they saw two the men exiting the house. One of them looked familiar to Amanda. At closer quarters, she recognized uncle Tim, whose sister Maryann is her mom’s close friend. Tim didn’t notice her or even if he did he wouldn’t stop by and talk to her. Amanda told Cathy that she spotted Tim in a house with a fierce looking guy. Now, Cathy knows that Tim is John’s brother Jeremiah’s son-in-law and that he is presently without a job through Amanda’s mom. Cathy made inquiries about this house owner, Edwardo, whom Tim was visiting and came to know that he was a crook involving himself in shady deals such as gambling and theft. He owns a wine shop in the vicinity. After listening to Cathy’s story, I informed Luke about it
© Copyright 2017 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/908618