*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/909548-Chapter-28
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(112)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Sci-fi · #2098237
Two hundred years after a colony vanishes, they return with a warning.
#909548 added July 6, 2017 at 10:17pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 28
Link to previous chapter: "Chapter 27



Matvei



Scott walked slowly down the passageway running through his mind all that he had seen during his full ship walk around. Seeing the physical damage to his ship, he wondered at the number of ready, and green light indicators on the bridge. It didn't seem that all those systems could be functioning. With all the dead and injured, the McHenry was grossly understaffed. If they had to fight and take further damage and causalities, he doubted they would survive let alone make it to Fleet Command.


There were not sentries standing at any of the hatches. As Shay's suggestion, Scott had allowed the security step down a few notches. After the reports, he had received of the Russians jumping with everything they had to help save his people and assist the fire teams, Scott felt they were all in this together now.


As he passed the Russian Marine's quarters, through the locked open hatch, he saw both guard contingents sitting together playing cards. Someone had provided chips, now stacked in front of each player with more in the pot. The one UEF Marine facing the hatch froze when he noticed his Captain watching the game. Scott smiled and gently shook his head telling the Marine to continue playing. He walked on before any of the others turned to see him. Scott stopped at Matvei quarters and touched the [admittance chime]. After a few moments, the hatch slid open revealing Major Stanislav.


"Good morning, Captain Scott," the officer said.


"We are finished, Major. Let the Captain in, and you and I can talk later," Matvei said from the back of the room.


"Please come in Captain Scott," Stanislav said with the first honest smile he had seen on the man. "If you will excuse me, I'll leave you, two Captains, to talk."


"Of course, Major," Scott said.


The senior Marine walked the short distance to the open hatch where the game was going on. After a brief look at Scott, he disappeared inside.


Scott entered Matvei's quarters sealing the hatch behind him. When he turned to face the woman, her honest, welcoming grin greeted him.


"It is too early for lunch, John. What brings you to my humble quarters?" Matvei asked.


Scott now stood directly in from of her. "Please sit down," she said waving at the chair just vacated by Stanislav.


"Veronika. Commander Shay and I have discussed this, and we would like to thank your people for pitching in during the last engagement."


Matvei watched Scott, slowly relaxing her smile. "John, my men, couldn't stand by and do nothing while your crew perished," she said, looking down at her lap.


"There some that owe you their lives and the entire crew is grateful."


"I appreciate you telling me this, John." She stopped and said nothing for a moment, then looked up. "There are a few things I'd like to discuss with you before we arrive at Earth."


"We are going first to Fleet Base. That's on and orbiting Mars."


Matvei smiled. "Yes, I think I heard that somewhere in the past weeks."


Scott nodded for her to continue.


"Major Stanislav and I just had a discussion. I told him that the political maneuvering was over. This ship's very survival is at stake, and this is not the time to be playing games."


"How did he take that?" Scott said, leaning back in his chair and trying to imagine Stanislav's reaction.


"At first, not too well. We had been conversing for some time before you arrived. What I told the Major isn't completely true. I pointed out the relaxed security since the last battle. The more casual and helpful attitude of your crew. These are both true."


Scott had discussed relaxing security with his XO and had noticed all the Marines from both groups playing cards together. Major Stanislav had just joined them. He had also noticed the single UEF Marine "reading" in a corner watching everyone carefully. just as he and Shay had discussed. Jumping in and saving the lives of some of his crew had earned them that much.


"Which part isn't exactly true?" Scott asked.


Matvei's cheeks blushed, and she looked down at her hands on the table. "Knowing you the way I do, I took our past conversations with your reactions to things I said and implied that you and I have come to an understanding. I told him that you had agreed to do all you felt morally correct to help us win the approval of your government." She looked up, and Scott saw guilt and maybe a little fear in her eyes. He was sure she was not putting on a show, but he would run this by Shay later. Matvei had not said anything further, clearly waiting for a response. Scott ran their past conversations through his mind and recalled her statement that she thought him an honorable man and that he would do what he could if he felt it was the right thing to do. His silence brought further fear into eyes.


"Veronika, I will indeed do that. What you told the Major is close enough to the truth." Matvei let out a breath looking relieved.


"Thank you, John. It didn't come out quite as I wanted with the Major, so I wanted you to know what was said."


"I had wondered why he was smiling at me like he was when I arrived," Scott said now understanding the smile was one of satisfaction. What Stanislav may not have noticed was the, morally correct, caveat.


"One last thing, John. I wanted to clear the air on what happened in our time together."


Scott went still wondering where this was going to go.


"We spent many hours together having lunch together. Some things we discussed were deeply personal. Event things I have discussed with no other person. We grew--closer than would be expected with two ranking Naval officers from completely different cultures. I might have been interested in spending some more time together when this war is over."


Scott started, surprised at her admission. She was a beautiful woman, but he had no interest in pursuing a relationship with her, now or after the war."


Matvei added, "I realized that would be useless. You already have a woman in your life." She smiled in a knowing way making him wonder what she was thinking. Many officers were married to their ships or careers.


"Do you mean my ship?" Scott asked.


Her smile grew bigger as she answered, "Perhaps."


Scott was mystified but discounted it as unimportant at the moment. "It doesn't matter," he said. "Right now, we need to worry about getting you safely to Earth, and there might be something you could do to help with that."


It was Matvei's turn to look mystified. "I can help with that?" she asked.


"Yes. You and your staff."


"Me and my staff?" she asked clearly surprised.


"You once told me your bridge experience was as a Tactical Weapons Officer or whatever your Navy calls them. Correct?"


"Yes. Until I became the second officer."


"The deaths, in addition to who we gave up to [the Daedalus commander] leave us short on personnel, including bridge crew. I would like to ask you to enter the watch rotation as backup bridge crew, with the rest of your people taking shifts where ever their experience lies."


"And my Marines?"


"The same as mine. Help damage control and move any casualties. Pitch in wherever needed."


Though Matvei had answered his questions, she had asked in a way the spoke incredulity. She stared at Scott in obvious disbelief, so Scott added. "Difference in ideology at this point are irrelevant. Our very survival could hinge on just a few more hands. Veronika, I'm asking as the Captain of this ship for your help."


Matvei seemed to shake off her amazement at the question. "Captain Scott. My staff and I will be honored to do as you asked. Thrilled in fact. Do you know what it feels like to be confined to our quarters while your ship is in battle? Unable to move or assist in the vessel's defense or even know what is going on? Yes, Captain. We will be happy to do as you ask."


Scott was pleased having not expected the conversation to go so smoothly. "Very well Captain Matvei, I will send my XO to make arrangements to integrate your people with ours soon enough to participate in the drills she has planned."


"Excellent idea, Captain. Please send her down to speak with me," Matvei said with a strange smile.


"Why is she looking at me like that?" Scott wondered.


Tighten



For the next two weeks, Scott continued to recover from his injuries. After the Chief Surgeon had released him from the restraints to physical exercise, he restarted his workouts with Senior Chief Jean. He added the Saber to the swords with which he practiced. The new weapon seemed more real but much more tiring than the foils he had trained with so far. The styles of match competition were also vastly different. Though bruised and exhausted after each workout, it was the good tired of healthy exercise and helped to release some of his tension.


Repairs to the ship continued around the clock. New training areas for damage control were constructed and utilized. Even some compartments open to space were used for EVA training. The Chief Engineer had crews working to strengthen the Alcubierre Node connections and other critical but weakened areas of the ship. [WHO] even increase the efficiency of the Carbon Dioxide Scrubbers by fifteen percent. That alone would add a week to the time before the internal atmosphere could no longer be kept in regulation range.


"Aye. Firing solution confirmed, missiles ready to launch," Captain Matvei said as the training drill proceeded.


Scott leaned over to his XO. "I think she might be better than Wilkes."


Shay nodded, "Certainly if she had more experience on our equipment, she could easily surpass him. At least we have a competent backup to replace Ensign Murphy."


"Our Russian told me she was one of the best TAOs in her fleet," Scott said. "I believe it. She's doing calculations in her head, or plotting by instinct as fast as the computer."


"Tactical, you are free to launch," Wilkes said to Matvei.


"All tubes are firing, sir, she said. "Missiles on course. Detonation in twelve minutes."


As the simulations continued, Scott noticed looks of respect for the Russian Captain among his bridge crew. At first, they reacted with suspicion and were unhappy when anyone referred to her as, Captain. She had solved that problem by insisting she be addressed as Mr. Matvei or Tactical. She said there could be only one Captain on the McHenry."


Scott felt stiff and stood to streach his muscles, walking over to Navigation. "Ensign Lorelei, how long until we reach the last waypoint?" He could have checked his display but wanted to move around the bridge. Sitting too long made him sore. The problem disturbed him as before his head injury; he had never faced that problem. The Doctor had told him to be patient; he was still healing.


"Captain, we will reach waypoint Zulu in eleven hours nineteen minutes," Lorelei said.


Scott glanced at the tense posture of the crew and figured they would finish the current drill and simulation and let the crew relax for the remainder of the current watch.


"Direct hit on their engines, the ship is disabled," Matvei reported from her position at Tactical during the current iteration.


"Very well, Mr. Matvei. Good work," Wilkes said. He, as the first watch TAO, was running the drill.


"Nine incoming intercepted. Point defense is engaging," Matvei added as the simulation proceeded.


"Damage to missile three and four," the damage control officer said.


Matvei glanced over up at Scott who now stood next to her station. "Two missiles detonated inside the point defense bubble," she said. "Damage control and medical responding."


Commander Shay ran full involvement drills where all crew members participated and practiced their portion of real scenarios. She modeled the drills on actual battles and real-life damage to the ship as a result of the fighting. Scott preferred this new scheme as it demonstrated more accurate time and resource use while providing the closest to real experience for all involved.


"Make this the last drill, Commander," Scott said. "Let the crew relax until the end of watch."


Shay nodded and gave the order. The damage control officer reported the time expected for the fictitious repairs and the drill was complete.


"Very good, everyone. We reduced ship damage while inflicting more on the enemy. The response and repair times are also down," Shay said. "Keep up the good work."


Scott heard Matvei request permission from Lieutenant Wilkes to remain at Tactical and continue running simulations on her board. At his nod, Wilkes told her to proceed. Despite feeling better, Scott knew he was not physically one hundred percent yet and dreaded arriving at Fleet, and all that would entail. They were coming upon the last jump that would bring them to the Sol system and Fleet Base on Mars. He sat back down in his command chair pleased with the progress Matvei had made in familiarizing herself with the McHenry's systems. Scott regretted the loss of so many of his crew that made a handful of trained Russians so valuable.


As was often the case, Commander Shay discerned his thoughts. "The Russians have integrated with the crew well, Captain. With our crew situation, I'm glad we have them.


Scott studied her face again wondering how she so often knew what he was thinking. Her eyes twinkled, and she smiled and said, "It's your expressions, sir. I can read your thoughts on your face."


"Really? What about now?" Scott asked.


"Captain, no one can read that blank stare."


"That was my, Matvei is occupied with her simulations. Our watch is over, and I'm free for lunch, expression," Scott said letting a small smile peek out.


Bernard's Star



"Sound the warning Mr. Lembke," Scott said, as the McHenry approached the [Bernard's Star] system way point. The last before the final jump to Mars Base. It was a busy waypoint yet the only fleet presence was an extension of the academy which included a Marine training facility as well.


"Aye, sir," the OD said, adding over the com as the tone sounded, "Stand by for transition in fifteen minutes."


Ensign Waters spoke up suddenly, "Captain! I'm reading unusual activity in Bernard's system. Ship signatures as well as an energy release. It looks like a battle, sir."


"Oh, God!" someone said.


Scott's stomach clenched. He closed his eyes and sighed hearing Shay whisper, "They beat us here."


"Sound General Quarters, Mr. Lembke," Scott said.


"General Quarters, General Quarters, man your battle stations, this is not a drill," the OD said, his voice a little unsteady.


"With everything that's been going on, the attack on Daedalus Base. They must have followed someone here," Shay said.


"We knew if they got close enough, they could follow commercial vessels," Scott said. "The last few jumps are mostly for traffic control with security being a secondary consideration. I had hoped that the message drones we got off before we lost the capability to send them would have prompted [Admiral Yamoto] to tighten security and extend the Action Perimeter.


Shay sat in her station and strapped herself in. "Who knows. It has been centuries since any threat came close to earth."


"Mr. Wilkes. Load all tubs with standard missiles. Hold the [Ship Killers] in reserve for now," Scott ordered. "Com, I want a Class two probe released the moment we arrive and sent in system. Have it transmit a warning for all ships to shut down their AIs. Warn them of the problem. Send it on the command channel priority Alpha."


"Some won't get that message for hours, Captain."


"It's the best we can do right now."


"I never dreamed the Aeons would get this far," Shay said. "If they are as effective here as at Daedalus...," her voice trailed off."


"We need to hope someone got to Fleet with a warning. That the battle is here, makes that plausible," Scott added.


Chief Gavin spoke up from Com, "Captain, Mister Matvei is asking where she should report." Scott considered the question for a moment, seeing the three trained TAOs now on the bridge including himself.


"Chief, have her report to the CIC and relieve Ensign Murphy as TAO backup. Send a confirmation order ahead, so there won't be any questions. Let the Marine sentries know as well."


"Aye, sir," Gavin said.


"Good idea, Captain," Shay said nodding closing the last clasp on her skin suit.


"Com, give me an all-ship channel," Scott said.


"All-ship ready, sir," he said after a moment.


Scott touched his panel. "This is the Captain. Our worse fears have been realized. We have read ships in battle in Bernard's Star system. I suspect we battle for our lives and our world. The McHenry is hurt but still ready to fight. Do as you have always done, give your best and she'll pull us through. Captain, out."


"Ten seconds until transition," Lembke announced. "Five, four, three, two, one."


Link to next chapter: "Chapter 29
© Copyright 2017 CanImagine (UN: stefanmiles at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
CanImagine has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/909548-Chapter-28