*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/909699
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2110197
A chain of vignettes.
#909699 added April 23, 2017 at 11:00am
Restrictions: None
A-23 words-1400
happiness that uncle John felt at citing his brothers in his place. Blood they say is thicker than water. The feelings brothers share are special. Generally, there are no secrets between brothers. They make fun of each other freely and they defend them heartily when the occasion demands. Both Rod and Jeremiah joined the others in lunch and I see the family, I mean our family consisting of mom, aunt Sarah, unless John, Rod and Jeremiah, that was the five of them came together after years of separation from one another. Not only they met, but also shared a meal enjoying each other’s company. Uncle Rod and Jeremiah were introduced to the others and everyone greeted them with a smile. This was uncle John’s typical scenario. He absolutely enjoyed the society he mixed with and became a part and parcel of that particular group. Once the lunch was finished Elvira and uncle John once again mounted their horses and rode away to a distant destination. Ryan Anderson and Cathy took the car and went to relax by the stream under the shade of giant trees. Mom and aunt Sarah went to have a nap before tea. Their beds and bedrooms were ready. Jonathan, Ashley and I opted for a game of tennis in the yard. Ashley played an excellent game. The efforts made by Jonathan were worth praise. I was yet surprised by the progress that Ashley made with Jonathan regarding physical movement and also the grasp and understanding he showed while interacting with people.

After we had enough of tennis, we went in and relaxed in the porch with a glass of fresh fruit juice that I made in the farm kitchen. Then I asked for the method she had used to get Jonathan back into the mainstream life.

Ashley swirled her juice and after having a sip, she sighed with satisfaction and said,
“Jim that is great juice. You know people take many things for granted. Making a carafe full of juice is a matter of minutes in the mixer. But there are things to consider and take care of before you serve it to the guest. You have to squeeze in the right amount of fruits, sugar, milk or water as per your preference and then mix it in a juicer. The result would be as good as this pineapple juice you made. Similarly, before I let Jonathan mix with the outsiders in a free and normal way, there are things I had to teach him and things for him to learn.”

“So how did you go about it?” I asked out of curiosity.
“Here is how it was. Along with physiotherapy, I had to make him practice speech for which there is a particular discipline to follow. He had to repeat after me certain words in a set of two with vowel and consonant sounds like “rat/sat” “fat/mat” “sit/pit” “fip/vip” and so on. Then he had to count numbers, say, till fifty. And then say them in their descending order. Then I added reading the alphabet. Later I made him practice some musical sounds like “do re me fa so la ti” the basic notes for any kind of music. This is also meant for regulating his tone and pitch movement so that he can avoid any kind of shakiness in his speech. In addition to the above items I made him sing the three pitch movements like the base, the middle and the high pitch. This sets his vocal cords to remain intact. We went on doing this for several months at the end, of which he found his normal voice.
I used the technique of mirror therapy as advised by the psychology professor Ramachandran. It simply means a mirror is used to trick the brain into thinking that the affected limb to be fine and by that gradually both hands harmonize their actions and find balance. There were several wrist and hand exercises we went through. He had to practice flexing and splaying his fingers, stretch and fold his arms and legs to get rid of stiffness. His waist and backbone were weak. To bring them back to shape, in addition to the Bowen therapy you had seen me I was doing on his spine, I also had to make him go through some spine and neck exercises. Eye exercise was compulsory. Since it was not possible to go through all the exercises every single day, I distributed them over a period of three days. Reading and writing were important too. Reading aloud was good for him instead of silent reading.”

As we were talking, Jonathan went out to the stables and was talking to Jack. They were joking and laughing.
“Ashley darling, aunt Sarah and all the rest of the family owe you plenty of gratitude. We cannot pay you back. But we can never forget the great good you had done the family.” I said with all my heart overflowing with love.
“What else do you want to do Jim? You love me and had let me come into your life and you are ready to share your whole life with me. What else can I ask for? I am so grateful to God to have given me a golden hearted life partner. I know I will be the happiest woman sharing every day. with you in the near future. I don’t have to get up all by myself. You will always be there by my side. I am just thrilled at the idea of spending all the days of my life with you.”
I got up and took her in my arms and kissed her on the petal like lips deeply and passionately. We were lost in each other and came awake when voices were heard outside the farm house. I saw Ryan and Cathy coming in with their hands linked and uncle John and Elvira too making their way in from their happy loitering and riding. It was a lovely day. Everyone enjoyed the riding and relaxing at will.
“OK guys, it is time leave. I am glad I need not say all good things come to an end. No, no way, there are three more days to go. I promise the time of your life. Let’s go home and sleep tight after an early dinner.” Everyone shouted in agreement and saying, “oh we love you John.”

Once again the party divided themselves to get into the two cars, pickup vans and a land rover. Mom and aunt Sarah came with me in my car where as others were picked up other vehicles. Uncle John is seen taking his brothers Rod and Jeremiah in the back and Elvira by his side in his car. Elvira has become inseparable from him. Neither did he leave her side. Theirs seemed to be another couple meant for each other.
Soon we were homebound. I heard one of the cars’ music system playing John Denver’s “country road take me home.” What lovely song! It suited us pretty well. We reached home in time for drinks and dinner. When we entered the house, we saw Betty and her young help hovering around the dining table trying to set it and arranging the dinner dishes. Guests greeted her pleasantly much to her pleasure. Then they went up to freshen up and change into fresh clothes. I was just about to enter the room when I saw Elvira and Ashley already present in the hall and were served glasses sherry by rosy the young maid. I joined them with my own small measure of gin and tonic. Conversation started flowing once again as the others too came down as soon as possible to join the group. Nobody wanted to miss a single minute to spend time with the others of the party.
“what is on the cards tomorrow John?” asked Ryan looking handsome in his formal clothes.
“well, buddy, as Cathy desired to have fun in vineyards, the sooner the better we join the harvesting activities. My general manager just rang me up to get you all to the spot where it is going to take place.”
“ Hooray, finally we are going to go to the wine festival if I may describe it so, John.” Cathy was all enthusiasm for the activity that uncle John had planned.
“So it is dear Cathy. I never once imagined


© Copyright 2017 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/909699