*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/909897
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2110197
A chain of vignettes.
#909897 added April 26, 2017 at 10:28am
Restrictions: None
A-26 Words-1475
Jonathan joined us. Elvira and uncle John were not far behind in joining us. We mixed and talked to the other guests too.
“In Spain they have tomato slapping and throwing festival. Don’t they” asked a male voice. I turned aside and saw a family of four enjoying what looked like chicken roast and fries and salad.
The lady presumably his wife replied, “La Tomatina is a food fight festival held on the last Wednesday of August each year in the town of Bunol near to Valencia in Spain. It was banned by a ruler till sometime. But after he died, the festival returned with more enthusiasm. People have to follow certain rules before entering the festival. The participants have to crush the tomatoes before they throw them at others.”
“The bullfight also belongs to Spain doesn’t it?” asked one the sons.
Now the father replied saying, “yes, the Spanish style of bull fighting originated in Spain and it is practiced in Mexico, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, Peru and parts of Southern France and Portugal.
The game has three parts wherein the fighter progresses gradually to tame or kill the bull. For the bull it is mortal whereas for the fighters it is dangerous. Often they are injured seriously or gored by the bull.
In traditional corrida de toros which means “running the bulls” three toreros or matadors or in French toreadors. Each fight out of a total of six fighting bulls. Each bull is at least four years old and weighs up to about six hundred kilograms or 1300 pounds. Bull fighting season runs from March to October in Spain.”
“Isn’t it supposed to be cruel dad?” the little kid asked sensibly.
“Yes, it is. They should have given it up long back when the era of lords and kings was over. But don’t worry. Soon it is going to come to an end. Environmentalists and Bullfighting protesters are not going to let it continue for a long time.” The father seemed in agreement with the sympathies of the son.

“You heard that Ashley darling?” I asked her sitting in the opposite chair.
“Oh yes Jim. I heard that and I simply admire the kid for being sensitive to the poor animal. Man has no right to make use of the animal for his pleasure.” She paused
“I agree. We are supposed to be more eco friendly and are supposed to treat animals as our companions. They are our shadows. They have as much right to live a life of their own as humans.” I argued a bit passionately.

Time just slipped by and soon it was twilight time. The organizers slowly started rapping up the activities of the day. Wine was filled into containers and took care so as not to let browning set on it. Barrels of wine would be taken to the processing places where it will pass through certain procedures to cleanse and keep for consumption at a later time.

Soon it was dark and all of us got together and had a recap of what we had done.
Cathy was all gratitude to uncle John.
“Thank you John. It was a life time experience. Now I can call myself well informed about grape harvesting and wine festival,” she said with pleasure and thankfulness shining out of her baby blue eyes.
Uncle John patted her on the shoulder and said, “as I told you already it has been my pleasure. I loved the company this event had provided me with. He looked up at Elvira casually, but I could see happiness shining through his eyes. His feelings for her could be read by those who were watching the couple as keenly as I did.

The moon came out of the clouds and the whole scene was transformed into a beautiful place like a forest of Eden or that place described by the Bard of England in his famous comedy “The Midsummer Night’s Dream.” Silver moonlight shone from above and its rays made each of look beautiful and out of this world. As we walked to the waiting vehicles our faces wore the expression of absolute friendship and love.

Next morning at ten uncle John took us all to the amusement center. We had a hilarious day. The Happy go lucky show had us on the swinging and swirling horseback and I could see everyone giggling like kids. There were all kinds of shows and activities. The guests had dispersed to meet at six in the evening to return home. This gave a chance to the couples to be on their own and spend the day as they wish. I loved the sense of freedom that uncle John had in mind when he took us to this place which I knew like the back of my hand.

“Ashley, did you ever visit the Disneyland on the West Coast?” I asked her.
“Sure Jim. We should go there sometime in future,” she responded.
“In my opinion Walt Disney was the best human being to have planned it and implemented it for children. Just look at his ideal behind the greatest amusement park in the world. His vision was incomparable. I am proud that he was an American and did the Americans proud by constructing this fantastic place.” I became a little intense in my expression and Ashley was staring at my serious looking face.
“What are you favorite places in the Disney, Jim?” she asked.
Immediately I was traveling to my childhood days. Once again in my imagination I was screaming at the top of my voice when we went up in Mission to Mars or the Silver Mountain. I was gazing in awe at the bandits of the Mediterranean, and once again I fell in love with the children at the “It is a small world.”

I told Ashley about the above places which I had enjoyed to my heart’s content when mom and dad took me to the Disney.
She said she never had a chance to visit the Disneyland and hoped she would go there sometime in future. I made up my mind to take her there as part of our honeymoon travels. I wanted to make it surprise trip for her. I was thrilled to imagine the flashing pleasure in her eyes and then I got lost in her passionate embrace and kisses unnumbered.
We had our lunch at one of the restaurants in the park. There we met Cathy and Ryan. They seemed absolutely in enjoyment of the trip and couldn’t wait to finish lunch and go for a show in the theater with special technical features like 3d and the most refined sound effects as they informed us. They asked us if we wanted to go with them. But we wanted to just sit and relax. The day slipped by. Ashley and I started walking towards the exit gate. As we reached there I could see others coming from different directions to where we were asked to wait.
“Hi Jim, Hi Ashley, have you had a nice time?” asked Elvira who looked thoroughly tired but quite happy with it.
“Oh yes, it is another memorable day. We seemed to have gone into a different life since we came to Emerald Farm,” said Ashley.
“No wonder. I feel the same way. To me it is more thrilling as met John after a long time. I feel my life has come full circle. This seems my final destination,” she said unusually, deep and serious.
“Oh really. It is the same way we too feel,” chimed in Cathy accompanied by Ryan.

Rod and Jeremiah with my mom and Sarah have reached us too.
“Hiya guys, how are you doing? Did you a good time?” asked uncle Jer. I was surprised to see him such a jolly good mood.
“Yes uncle Jer. We had a lovely time. How about you guys?” I asked looking at my mom and aunt Sarah.
“Oh we went through every event in the park and recalled the various things we did in our past,” said my mom with amusement writ large on her face.
It was so nice to the brothers and sisters coming together and spending such long hours in one another’s company. It was more or less like family get together.

Soon it was time to leave for Emerald Farm which had been like a home for all of us these three days. The next day would be the last and I wonder what uncle John had in mind for tomorrow. I was sure he would come up with some brilliant idea of his own to make it memorable and momentous.
“guys and girls, it is time to get you back to home and see you sleep well before you rise and shine for another day, tomorrow,” said uncle John jovially.
We got in
© Copyright 2017 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/909897