*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910690-The-Song-of-the-Fabreg-Egg
Rated: 18+ · Book · Activity · #2120076
Collection of 31 short-short stories and some micro fiction. Easy to review.
#910690 added May 8, 2017 at 6:05pm
Restrictions: None
The Song of the Fabregè Egg
Prompt: Chapter title:The Egg and The Eye

Source: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Main event in the chapter: Harry takes the Golden Egg to the Prefect's bathroom to listen to its song.



After her parent's death, Deidre cherished the Fabregé egg her dad gave her mom on their 20th wedding anniversary. She let all her siblings root through what was left behind from broken lives. Her parents traveled extensively and owned hundreds of priceless valuables.

"Valuables sold on Ebay, most likely," Deidre complained to her cat, Dancer.

Deidre cradled the imitation of the "Lilies of the Valley" egg crafted in 1898. She stroked the pearls and admired the Cabriolet legs of green-gold leaves with rose-cut diamond dewdrops. Every egg held a surprise, and in this case, Deidre was happy the egg wasn't the original.

"That's why nobody wanted the egg." she told Dancer. "Can't get enough on the market. And, since no one is listening, I'll confess to hiding this egg before my siblings arrived."

She fingered the gold-mounted button that should twist and reveal a surprise.

"Broken, though. But I'm not sorry. No way do I want to see some photos of French aristocracy."

Dancer rolled on his back and stuck his legs in the air.

"You think I'm making all this up? Humans can research on the internet. Too bad cats don't have a cat-ernet. You'll just have to take my word for it."

On more than a few occasions, her parents had tried to get the replica egg fixed. Even broken, it was worth a fortune, a secret she held tightly.

Alone in her parent's house, Deidre carried the egg wherever she went, including the bathroom. While showering, she heard a haunting song emanating from somewhere. With the faucets silenced, Deidre listened. Dancer's ears were perked.

Her blonde hair twisted up in a towel, she looked at the cat. "You hear it too, huh, buddy?"

An awful thought bottomed out Deidre's stomach when she traced the sound to the egg. "What if I damaged it by subjecting it to humidity?" She bit down on her knuckles and studied the egg.

"Look at that," Dancer. "It's opened up, but rather than some ugly aristocracy, someone, somehow, put music in here."

The cat stretched, and with its pink tongue, delicately licked its hindquarters.

"You don't have to be rude, Dancer. Of course I know current eggs are music boxes. But this remake has been verified authentic. As authentic as a replica can be, that is."

Down on one knee, Deidre, terrified to break the spell, stared at the egg perched on the bathroom counter. She leaned in to hear the song. What she heard knocked her back on her butt.

"That's the lullaby Mom and Dad sang to me as a kid. Now how the heck did they get the song in there? The pearl button has never worked."

A pink hand towel in Deidre's hand cleared the mirror of steam. For a split second, two smiling images appeared.

"Mom! Dad!" shouted Deidre, and then the faces were gone. The music played on.

Info and image  




© Copyright 2017 Nixie is recovering. (UN: nixie9 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Nixie is recovering. has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910690-The-Song-of-the-Fabreg-Egg