*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/911853-climate-differences
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #388967
Daily notes and timed freewrites but mostly my blog
#911853 added May 27, 2017 at 6:18pm
Restrictions: None
climate differences
Well, I'm finally starting to get that settled feeling. Two months ago today, I lost my job which forced me to move from western Montana to western Idaho. The difference of climate is telling; but, being with family helps.

Today, I am reminded why I loved living in the Bitterroot Valley. I lived there for nearly 25 years (August 1992 to April 2017) and took for granted that the 80 to 90 degree temperatures don't happen until July and August. Well, here it is nearly June, less than a week left in May, and the temp is already 80-90 degrees. For the last 25 years I've taken for granted that when it got hot in the valley you could drive for a half hour and get to a higher altitude that would be 10 to 15 degrees cooler. Time to enjoy a picnic in the woods by a stream in relative privacy. Can't do that here. The hills of Idaho aren't high enough for any major temperature change and the Mountains are further away than a half hour drive. Also, anywhere you go to commune with nature is very crowded with all of the Memorial Day weekenders with the same idea. Even without the holiday, Idaho weekenders out number Montana weekenders by far. I've not realized how private my life was in Victor. I'm beginning to miss that privacy. I'm beginning to miss the semi-solitude I so enjoyed these last 24 years.

The plus side is the growing season for the garden is approximately a month longer here than in the 'Root'. So, I will take advantage and do a little planting today...nothing big. Some beans, corn and pumpkin. and a few radishes. There is a corner of the kid's (by kid's, I mean my son and his wife) garden that didn't take, so I have replanted three hills with the three sisters (beans, corn and pumpkin). It is a spontaneous experiment on my part. I will have to let the kids know I've replanted the hills in case they decide to do some of their own replanting.

The heat of the day drove me back inside. My son has taken the rest of the family to the river so the boys can play in the water. I'm content to enjoy the coolness of the basement where I'm set up.

On the job note, I've not had much luck having a job just drop into my lap. The applications I've sent in have not born fruit. I can't say I'm disappointed about it though. I have enjoyed not having to go to work. I suppose I could go through the employment service, but to me the pittance of employment insurance isn't worth the acid reflux medication it would invariably have to buy. For the first time in years, I'm enjoying eating without the heartburn. No work, no immediate need to find work...(my son has assured me it is okay to take my time)...equates to no stress and no stress equals no reflux.

© Copyright 2017 DyrHearte writes (UN: dyrhearte at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
DyrHearte writes has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/911853-climate-differences