*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/911909-Quotes-About-Death
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#911909 added May 28, 2017 at 6:58pm
Restrictions: None
Quotes About Death
A couple weeks ago, I wrote a blog post about some of my favourite quotes, found here: "Seven Favourite Quotes . I thought I would share a few more favourite quotes, this time themed around death. Those of you who might not be sure why my mind is on the topic may see "Grief and "Grief, Part Two, but that won't be the focus of this post. It feels like a good time to take a brief look at some touching quotes on the topic.

“To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” - JK Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
I think a lot of Harry Potter quotes stand out to me so much because of the place Harry Potter held for me growing up. This quote in particular feels really fitting in my life at the moment. I think that it can feel incredibly reassuring to think of your loved ones going to a better place, being reunited with people they may have once lost, and perhaps starting a great new adventure.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.” - Mark Twain
Mark Twain definitely came out with a number of incredibly wise quotes in his time, but this one ranks among his best in my opinion. This is particularly reassuring for those of us who have lost relatives that we have felt are full of life. It can feel like they did what they were meant to do when they were here, like they live with no regrets. Even if they have some regrets, even if they don't necessarily long for death, there's still that knowledge that they did a lot with the time they had.

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” - Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie
I think this particular quote is one we all need to be reminded of when we lose someone. The person we've lost may no longer be with us, but they are still apart of us. Even if you don't believe in any sort of afterlife or reincarnation or anything, your relationship to the person you've lost is still a part of you. That relationship is there, with no greater power required.

“Life is for the living.
Death is for the dead.
Let life be like music.
And death a note unsaid.”

- Langston Hughes, The Collected Poems
This beautiful piece of poetry is one that touched me from the moment I first read it, and it's what I intend to finish on. There is something incredibly magical and beautiful about viewing life as a song, and death as still being a part of that song in a way. It serves to remind that life is beautiful, and we must live it while we can. It serves to remind that we must not let death become too much a part of our lives, because the two are separate parts, each beautiful in their own way. It also serves to remind that it's okay to take that moment to linger on that final note unsaid.

(I have committed to blogging daily with Give It 100. This is Day Twenty-Nine. Three days of leave taken total.)

© Copyright 2017 Lady Elizabeth Mormont (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lady Elizabeth Mormont has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/911909-Quotes-About-Death