*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912336-30DIC-Day-3-Hybrid-Turtle
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #2072393
The catch-all for items related to and/or inspired by the music that shaped me.
#912336 added June 3, 2017 at 6:24pm
Restrictions: None
30DIC Day 3: Hybrid Turtle
** Image ID #2123241 Unavailable **


Hello there! The third installment of the "Invalid Item has found me at a critical juncture...I really dug the pic of the turtle, but was having a really difficult time trying to figure out what it was saying to me. It was almost like there were too many different ways I could've gone with it, each with interesting little spikes and turns and jabs, but no one idea was grabbed me. And when I'd run over a line in my head, nothing would attach to it. Frustrating. I kinda started fixating on a theme based on the classic Aesop fable The Tortoise and the Hare  , and since I couldn't shake it I figured I'd start spinnin' it and see where it went.

Annnnnnd it got outta control in a hurry *Laugh*.

It turned into a bastardized fairly tale; the kind maybe I wish I'd heard when I was a kid, or the kind your drunk uncle   pulls you aside for at holiday gatherings. When I think about the choices I've made in life, and how like a lot of people I one time gave thought to maybe being a teacher but didn't, my school-age self didn't realize I'd instead be writing a near-terrible poem based on something other little kids are supposed to moralize for themselves *Laugh*. So, if you're really bored (or if you are the drunk uncle), maybe later on take a look at the fourth installment of "Also Mutants...the one that wasn't good enough to make it into this entry, "The Turtle vs. The Hare, 2017.

Now, onto the real reason why you're here:

30-Day Image Prompt.


Hybrid Turtle

I'm tired of crawling out of my shell.
The analog architecture
of this body
isn't meeting
21st century demands,
and I can't live another hundred years
standing still.
But while you're getting me ready
for the next millennium,
don't leave me behind.
I need to keep up with the times.
The only problem I can see
is a future passing by
as I'm doing all I can
to live in the now,
and when I finally think
I'm all caught up
I'll have to climb back in
to see there's still so far to go.


         "Hybrid Turtle from "Also Mutants

Yeah, I also got stuck on the idea that this turtle is some mix of old and new technology. I could've gone The Terminator   route, but since I hadn't seen that movie since...since probably when it hit cable in the 80's, I didn't feel like I had enough knowledge on the subject. Although...I don't know much about turtles   either, and that didn't stop me from writing two turtle-based poems *Rolleyes*.

Blog divider.


Another one of those instances where you hear a song at random, and then you see a picture and your brain starts doing the mental gymnastics to make it relate somehow to what you're writing, two hours later *Laugh*. When I saw the turtle I just kept cycling over and over the line "I'm on your back", with an image of some other creature, like a squirrel of miniature rabbit, hitchin' the worst Uber ride of their poor little forest life.

"Walking After You"   -Foo Fighters

"I cannot be without you.
Matter of fact, I'm on your back."


And that, unfortunately my friends, is all I've got for today. My concentration level for the second day in a row is barely hovering above zero (which is why writing a nearly two-page poem in some kind of loose style/voice I don't think has surfaced in forever is astonishing, and then realizing it wasn't good enough by whatever standards I have so I had to force out another), so maybe tonight's a good night for me to take it easy and read up some of the other entries that I've fallen behind on. Happy Saturday night folks! Peace, weren't you adored, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2017 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912336-30DIC-Day-3-Hybrid-Turtle