*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912462
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2110197
A chain of vignettes.
#912462 added June 5, 2017 at 3:03am
Restrictions: None
J-5 Words-1600
took place after Rama bid good bye to his father and left him with Viswamitra to go to the forest. The news soon reached Ayodhya. King Dasaratha’s joy knew no bounds and he made arrangements to reach Mithila to attend the marriage ceremony of Rama and Sita. Then sage Viswamitra suggested Lakshmana could also get married to sita's younger sister named Urmila. He also proposed that Bharat and Shatrughna should be married at the same auspicious hour as their other two brothers. Mandavi and Shrutakirti were to be their brides. These were the lovely daughters of Kushadhvaja, the younger brother of Janaka. The priests in Janaka’s court fixed the date of marriage. On that day, all the four sons of king Dasaratha tied knots of marriage to the girls proposed to them. Rama’s marriage with Sita was much talked about in the three worlds. It was rich, grand and worth witnessing, they said. Splendid and attractive it was, they reiterated.

After the marriages, Janaka and his wife bid farewell to their daughters who were about to depart to their in-law’s country and house. It was a moment of grief to the father and mother of the daughters. It was difficult for them to part with their beloved daughters whom they have groomed for fourteen years and now they had to entrust them to their husbands and in-laws who were, to say the truth, strangers.

They say that marriage is a gamble. Some might get not so favorable cards but can still play them well. And some might get all good cards and still may not play well. How they manage their married lives has always depended on fifty percent luck and fifty percent honesty and love. But for the parents and the departing girl these moments of sorrow could be unbearable though temporary. The girl feels physically and mentally torn away from her father’s house. Tradition rules that after marriage a girl becomes a part and parcel of another house and no longer has binding ties with her parental home. She might visit them occasionally, but she cannot stay longer than a limited span of time. If stayed longer than the expectations of society, then the same society will talk scandalously about her behavior. In India this is how things happen with married girls.

So the young couples traveled back to Ayodhya with Dasaratha and his queens and a number of courtiers.
The city of Ayodhya was decorated with garlands and each street was wore the look of festivity. People dressed in their colorful best and waited anxiously and happily for the arrival of their beloved king Dasaratha and his four sons and their new wives. They loved the oldest of the princes, Rama with all their heart and soul because Rama was more concerned for them than for himself or for his father’s welfare. However, it should be accepted that he did his duty as a son and as the future king of Ayodhya.

When the entourage arrived in Ayodhya, the palace staff welcomed the royal family with bugles and bagpipe, drums and kettledrums. Music was played on wind instruments such as saxophones and trumpets and percussion instruments accompanied them rhythmically. It seemed as though the whole world got together to give a grand welcome to Dasaratha’s newly married sons.

Dasaratha ordered festivities for a week to celebrate the safe return of his sons from Viswamitra’s mission in the forest. Also, he had enough reason to rejoice because without making much effort he could all his sons married to princesses from the worthy royal family of Mithila.

From then on, king Dasaratha ruled Kosala with the help and counsel of his able ministers for long years. People were happy with his rule of the land. They felt secure and the kingdom knew no thieves or bad guys of any kind. Seasons changed as per the agricultural calendar and crops yielded plentifully in time and no one suffered from hunger or lack of love and kinship. Ethics were followed diligently. It was a welfare state in every respect.

Age caught up Dasaratha despite his extraordinary strength and prowess. He called his council of ministers together and a meeting was held in the court. He addressed them thus:
“O wise men of my court! I have called you today to express my thoughts which have been on my mind for a while now. I have come to an age which demands rest for my body and spiritual refuge for my mind and spirit. In other words I have decided to retire from my kingly position and hand over power to my eldest son, Rama. You are aware of his abilities and behavior patterns. I hope you will agree with my decision.”

There was immediate applause when king Dasaratha announced his decision to make Rama the next king and entrust the reins of power into his hands. Evidently, the ministers agreed to the king’s decision unanimously.

Dasaratha was a happy man on that day. He returned to his palace summoned his chief priest and guru, Vasistha and informed him of his thoughts and feelings regarding anointing Rama as the next king. Vasistha appreciated Dasaratha’s decision and promised him to look for an auspicious date for the anointment of Rama as the head of the state. He spent a few days in consulting astrological doctrine to search for the right day and date and time of anointment. After having got the dates and auspicious hour for the intended ceremony, he came back to Dasaratha and informed him of his findings. The king consented to his suggestions and soon after the crier of the kingdom announced the impeding date of Rama’s anointment as their next king to the people of Kosala. The people rejoiced that their beloved Rama was going to their next king. They celebrated the news in a big way.

While the whole kingdom celebrated the announcement of the news that on the very next day Rama was going to be crowned as king, there was one person who felt extremely unhappy at it.

It was an old maid of King Dasaratha’s third and his favorite wife Kaikeyi. Her name was Mandhara and she was beside herself with sorrow. Ask me why. Here is how it was.

This woman Mandhara was a nurse of Kaikeyi when she was an infant. She was with baby girl and then as a young adolescent and later as a young woman to be married to king Dasaratha when he sought her hand in marriage. Mandhara was like a shadow for Kaikeyi. Wherever Kaikeyi went, Mandhara followed her. Her life’s mission was to protect her young queen from all kinds of mishaps. She loved her mistress like there was no tomorrow. Kaikeyi too had a soft corner for Mandhara. That was the reason why her parents sent Mandhara with Kaikeyi as part of her dowry. She was with her like a faithful dog that followed her master all these years.

When Mandhara heard the news of Rama’s anointment to be the next king of Kosala, she started weeping. While the whole world celebrated the happy tidings, she alone sat in a dark room and wept as though it was someone’s funeral. Then she went to her beloved mistress Kaikeyi’s chambers in the palace.

She approached her mistress who was relaxing on a long couch and addressed her thus:

“O Mistress Kaikeyi! I have just heard the news that your stepson Rama is going to be made the king of the land tomorrow. I am not able to bear it. What do you think your position will be with your husband Dasaratha, the king retiring and a stepson assuming power?”

Kaikeyi was so happy to learn the news of the future king’s anointment fixed to be held on the next day, that she took the gold chain from around her neck and presented it to the old maid.

Then she said,
“Dear Mandhara! What great news! This land deserves none other than my darling son Rama as its king. I love your bearing of the news to me. You just made me the happiest soul on earth with this wonderful news.”

Mandhara was confused and astounded at the way happiness shone in Kaikeyi’s eyes. How could her mistress feel happy at someone other than her son becoming the future king of this kingdom? There must be something wrong with her hearing. I could make clearer by telling her the repercussions if Rama would be made the new king.

Thinking thus to herself, Mandhara addressed Kaikeyi in the following manner.
“O queen! Have you heard me clearly? I am saying old king Dasaratha is planning to make his beloved son and his eldest queen’s son Rama the king of the country. Do you know what happens in the case of Rama coming to power?”
Kaikeyi was innocent of the evil plans and thoughts of Mandhara.

She said,
“What will happen Mandhara? People will have the best king they could ask for. Rama is famous for his truthful words and loving nature. He loves any creature in the same way as he loves his father, brothers and mother. Why are you crying in a heartbroken way instead of going out and taking part in the celebration that are taking place in the city?”

Mandhara replied,
“O my innocent queen, you should first understand that Rama is only your stepson and not your real flesh and blood. Your own son is Bharat and not Rama. If he comes to power she will have more luxuries than she is now enjoying. She





© Copyright 2017 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912462