*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912956
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2110197
A chain of vignettes.
#912956 added June 11, 2017 at 5:21am
Restrictions: None
J-11 Words-1700
So saying the brave buzzard breathed its last. Rama and Lakshmana were moved by the sorrowful death of a brave bird. They cried because they were not able to save the life of Jatayu, their father’s friend. They gathered their spirits and performed the last rites of the Jatayu. They stayed till the physical remains of the bird were consumed by the funeral fire. After fulfilling their duty of performing the last rites of Jatayu, Rama and Lakshmana restarted their search for Sita. They still had no idea as to where Sita was being carried away. They knew he was a king and that he ruled Lanka. But the whereabouts of Lanka were unknown to them. They continued looking for Sita, the unfortunate lady of Rama.

After walking a few miles in the forest, a strange experience awaited the brothers. Two black arms started following them. Suddenly they reached the brothers and started enveloping the. Lakshmana took out his sharp lance and cut both arms which were hairy and black and monstrous. They were miles long following the two brothers on their forest trail. When Lakshmana further wanted to cut the arms, Rama dissuaded him from doing so and went back to see the owner of these two arms.

When they reached the source of the arms, they were both taken aback at what they had seen. The person or the demon had just the head with one red burning eye and torso. He had no body or legs or waist. Except for the two arms he had nothing besides. When he saw Rama and Lakshmana, he said thus:
“O Rama and Lakshmana! My name is Kabandha. I was a sura (contrary to asura) or one belonging to the race of devas or gods and goddesses of the heavenly kingdom of Indra. During my life as sura I had the power to change myself into any shape or being.

With that power I was arrogant enough to pester a rishi named Sthulasthira. When I was continuing with my devilish play, the rishi lost his temper and cursed me to remain in the same appearance with which I teased him. I used to have the whole body. But I had a fight with Indra my chief and he had cut my limbs with his thunderbolt. Then I asked Sthulasthira to tell me how I could get rid of the curse he placed on me. He took pity on my condition and said that when Rama and Lakshmana come to the forest searching for Sita, you will talk to them and ask them to bury you and cremate your body. Soon after that you will gain your former appearance and go back to your heavenly abode. O Rama, take pity on me. I am using my arms to catch the prey and satisfy my hunger. Look at my pitiful condition. I promise I will not repeat my mischievous ways anymore. Forgive my sins and please reform me and grant me salvation.”

Rama took pity on Kabandha and did as he was asked. After the cremation a handsome sura with a bright aura rose from the funeral pyre. Before he went away to heaven Kabandha told the brothers that Sita was carried away by Ravana to the south. He could tell them only that much of information regarding Sita’s abduction and nothing more. However, Kabandha told Rama that Sita was abducted by Ravana. He also told them that Ravana was the younger brother of Kubera, the keeper of gods’ gold. Ravana was the grandson of the great Pulastya and son of Vishrava. He was given a boon by Brahma and conquered the whole world. Kabandha did not know where Lanka was. His prophetic vision did not extend beyond that. He however said that Rama would get the help of the mighty king of apes, Sugriva and would soon find Sita. He told them that they would find Sugriva living on a mountain called Rishyamuka. Sugriva would become a friend of Rama and would help him.

Then Lakshmana asked Kabandha the way to Rishyamuka. Kabandha asked them to take a westerly path. He further told them that after crossing many streams and peaks of the south they would go to a beautiful pond called Pampa and the ashram of sage Matanga. The sage’s positive power was so strong that whoever went to his ashram would be completely devoid of evil and turn into a good soul. Matanga was no more. But a lady disciple of Matanga, by the name Sabari lived there. Kabandha told them that this woman lived in the hope seeing Rama whom she considered her God. She was an ascetic and ever lived in devotion to Rama. She had no ego she served without feeling pride or selfishness. That was what made her a true Bharat(devotee),said the rishis of the forest who were observing the attentiveness with which Sabari prepared herself and her ashram everyday in the hope welcoming Rama. Even as he spoke he said, she was preparing to welcome Rama and Lakshmana with flowers and fruits. She was cleaning the path on which Sree Rama would walk. She swept it clean so no thorn would hurt Rama’s feet. She plucked the sweetest of fruit. She would taste them herself and test their sweetness. She was waiting day and night restlessly for a view of Rama and Lakshmana.

Kabandha further informed the two princes of Ayodhya that Sabari knew the way to Sugriva’s habitat and that she would guide Rama and Lakshmana to the mighty ape king. So saying Kabandha consoled Rama that he would be successful in his search for Sita and everything would end as he desired. Wishing them well and thanking them to help him regain his former life, kabandha disappeared.

Rama and Lakshmana started walking towards the west as directed by Kabandha.
They walked for a few more days and covered quite a bit of distance covering streams and peaks and finally reached the pond Pampa, and came upon the ashram of a sage named Matanga. When they saw a hermitage, which actually belonged to Sabari, they walked towards it. Mother Sabari was spreading flowers on the forest path as she would do everyday in anticipation of Rama’s visit. Rama and Lakshmana went to her stood by her side. The old lady lifted her head and saw two very bright looking people wearing the apparel of a rishi standing before her and smiling at her.

Sabari asked them.
“Who are you my dear sirs?”

Rama replied,
“Dear mother, we are searching for the hermitage of Sabari. Can you guide us to her place? My name is Rama and he is my younger brother, Lakshmana.”

Sabari was overcome with high emotion. Her words tumbled out in a hurry. She was beside herself with joy and anxiety. Joy, because she got her wish fulfilled unexpectedly, and anxiety because she was worried if she could look after her god Rama as a worthy devotee.

Then she came back to herself and invited them into her humble dwelling. She spread more flowers on their path and took them inside her ashram. She spread mats which cleaned with her sari and asked them to take their seats. Then she went in to get water to wash their feet. But Rama prevented her from doing that. He said,
“No need to wash our feet mother. You have already made me holy by washing my feet with your tears.”
Then she offered them fruit which she kept in readiness for their service.
She asked to eat the fruit which she already tasted and tested their sweetness. Rama was pleased with her fruit and ate them commenting on their extreme sweetness and that he felt as though his own mother Kousalya was feeding him.
Then Sabari informed Rama and Lakshmana about her guru Matanga and told them that as he went away to heavenly abode, he bade her to stay back and wait for Rama and Lakshmana. He said that the brothers will come searching for the lost wife of Rama. Then Matanga asked Sabari to tell Rama and Lakshmana about Sugriva and guide them to his cave.

When Rama asked Sabari to give him the road map to Sugriva’s dwelling, then Sabari said,
“Hey prabhu!(my master) you know all that but still if you want me to tell you, I will. As you go a little distance from here, you will cross Pampa stream and will come across two peaks named, Malayadri and Bhung. That is where Sugriva lives with his four ministers. One of them is Hanuman. He is your well known devotee Sir. You will be introduced to Sugriva by Hanuman. With your acquaintance, Sugriva will have one of this important missions fulfilled.”

Then Rama asked Sabari to show the place where her teacher and guide Matanga did his penance and left this world for higher life. Sabari felt happy and showed them the asan (seat on which one sits and performs yoga) that Matanga sat under the big peepal tree. Rama and Lakshmana went with her and paid tribute to the memory of a great sage whose light of goodness and purity still shone in the surroundings.

Before letting the brothers leave her ashram, Sabari requests Rama to impart her knowledge as to how to reach the supreme stage of staying at god’s feet. Rama replied,
“O Mother, what little I know, I will tell you. There are nine ways to attain salvation. First, you worship god with other devotees. Second is to listen to the stories and miracles of god and third is to perform selfless service to your (spiritual teacher) guru. Fourth, is to learn the hymns of god and fifth is to think and chant the name of god with faith as the Vedas reveal, and the sixth is to practice self control and detachment from word, deed and action. The seventh is to think of saints more than god, and the eighth is to have contentment and never look faults in others. The ninth way is to have simplicity and have no cunning and have faith in God without exultation or without depression.” After
© Copyright 2017 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912956