*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/913511-Sht-Medical-Professionals-Have-Said-to-Me
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#913511 added June 17, 2017 at 3:02pm
Restrictions: None
Sh*t Medical Professionals Have Said to Me
As someone with a host of unexplained health issues, it can be rather difficult dealing with medical professionals. Being sick doesn't mean I get more help from doctors, nurses, medical assistants, and so on. People fail to take me seriously in my serious health struggles, and it can often feel like seeking medical attention is a waste of time. I would give anything to feel healthy again, but medical professionals often assume that I'm faking, I'm lazy, I'm drug seeking, or it's a mental health issue rather than a physical one.

I thought it might be worth my while to share some of the incredibly hurtful things that have been said to me by medical professionals. Remember that just because you can't see a person's illness, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Aren't you bored?
This was asked of me because I am on sick leave. I don't have the health to be bored. Being at home instead of work means that I have the energy to do things I need to do, like housework and doctors' appointments, and do things that I enjoy. The rest of the time is spent sleeping, or wishing I was sleeping. When I was working, I was at risk of losing my job, and I was so busy sleeping when I was at home that everything else was left undone. So no. I'm not bored. I was pretty bored of my life being nothing but work and sleep though.

Take more walks.
This one killed me. After describing neurological symptoms to a neurologist, he did no tests, and told me it was in my head. More walks would help me feel better. Except I have been falling down, fainting, getting confused, and having trouble breathing. I am not safe to walk far, and I am never safe to go to far alone. But more walks would help me feel better.

Medication won't help you.
The same neurologist as above. The same appointment as above, even. It was psychological apparently, but medications were not the answer. I got the impression he thought I was looking for more drugs. I was just looking to be taken seriously. I also feel this statement was incredibly dangerous, as I am already on medications to manage my symptoms. I take medications for my depression, pain management, and gastric symptoms, but what if I had taken this as an invitation to stop my medications? These medications allow me to function in life. I am bedridden without them.

It's probably nothing.
I went into the hospital for severe, sharp abdominal pain. The ER doctor had me wait seven hours, barely looked at me, and told me "it's probably nothing" based on my previous fibromyalgia diagnosis, even though I have never had this abdominal pain until recently and have had the fibromyalgia for years. She then gave me tylenol and sent me home. I honestly wish I had stayed home that day. I had stronger medications at home if she assumed I was drug seeking. I certainly didn't wait seven hours for something that was "nothing."

I'm already doing too much for you.
This has been said to me every time I ask my family physician for another referral or test. Asking her for help leads to another lecture about how much she has already done for me. We have no answers yet, and my symptoms carry on, but apparently asking for more help is just too much. She tells me that if she helps more, an investigation might not look kindly upon it. I feel the opposite. But I'm desperate for answers.

(I have committed to blogging daily with Give It 100. This is Day Forty-Eight. Six days of leave taken total.)

© Copyright 2017 Lady Elizabeth Mormont (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lady Elizabeth Mormont has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/913511-Sht-Medical-Professionals-Have-Said-to-Me