*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/913664-Sigh-Rejected-Again
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#913664 added June 19, 2017 at 4:22pm
Restrictions: None
*Sigh* Rejected Again
I just received this little email:

Andra,

Thank you for offering your story to Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show.

We're sorry to tell you that we will not be using it; you are free to submit it elsewhere.


That makes Rejection Number Two for my story "Ashella's Heart."

At this point, I don't know if I have the energy to find another magazine to submit it to. Sure, I have access to significant lists of magazines that accept stories like mine, but the problem comes with the necessity of reading a copy or two of each one to find out if it's really a good fit, or not. That takes a lot of time. Sure, I could submit it to every science fiction/fantasy magazine out there without reading any of it, but that seems too . . . impersonal, I guess. Not quite the word I'm looking for, but I'm not motivated enough to find it.

So, yeah, I'm feeling a little maudlin about the whole thing.

Part of it is due to spending the last three days looking for agents for my sci-fi novel. I found over a dozen that look promising, and that's a good thing. Better to have too many choices than not enough. All I need to do is structure and personalize my query letter and synopsis according to each one's submission requirements - starting with the agents that I like best and work my way down from there.

The good news is, I at least I didn't have to wait until my birthday to find out the magazine thought my story sucked (kidding a bit there. My story didn't necessarily suck. Most likely they're looking for something different).

I just wish I could better predict what magazine/publisher/agent will fit with what I write. It's so damned unpredictable in that the only way to discover it is to send it out there to be rejected. I'd like to think I have a thick enough skin, but on days like today - apparently - it's not thick enough.

© Copyright 2017 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/913664-Sigh-Rejected-Again