*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914041
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2110197
A chain of vignettes.
#914041 added June 25, 2017 at 4:49am
Restrictions: None
J-25 Words-1900
how a friend must be helped in times of need. He said he would be grateful to the ape race for all times to come and all human beings must respect them whatever be the age.

Then the Pushpak flew over the sea and it was soon northward bound. On the way to Ayodhya, Rama wanted to pay his respects to the powerful sage, Bharadwaja in his ashram. The Pushpak landed near rishi Bharadwaja’s ashram. Before stepping out Rama asked Hanuman to go to Bharat and inform him of his coming home. He asked Hanuman to go in the guise of a Brahmin and break this news to Bharat at a suitable moment of time. For, sometimes sudden happy news could be dangerous. Then Rama and Lakshmana shed their bows and arrows and met rishi Bharadwaja in his ashram. The rishi blessed them and was grateful that the kind Lord Narayana in his avatar of a human being decided to give him a glance.

On the next lap of their flight they landed at Rama’s old friend and devotee, the leader of the river folk, Guha. They met him at the start of their journey. Now they met him at the completion of Rama’s exile in a happy frame of mind. Guha took them to worship Ganga first and then took them to his habitat for them to take rest.

In the meanwhile, Hanuman flew to Nandigram to meet Bharat and inform him of the good news of Rama’s return to Ayodhya. Just before his arrival, Bharat was talking to the royal priest Vasistha and was telling him that if the moment when the exile period was over would not coincide with the arrival of Rama in Ayodhya then he would surely die by entering fire. Sage Vasistha was dissuading him by saying that it did not behoove a man of dharma to be hasty in such actions. Till the last moment, one could not predict how the destiny would turn its wheel.

Then Hanuman entered and gave them the good news of the completion of exile and the returning journey of his brother Rama with Lakshmana and Sita. Bharat was overcome with joy and ordered his sentry to announce the good news throughout the breadth and length of Ayodhya.

The auspicious day and the moment arrived. Rama, Sita and Lakshmana came to Ayodhya along with their ape men and the asura king Vibhishana. The first thing that Rama had done after alighting on the ground of Ayodhya in the Pushpak air vehicle was to kneel on the earth of Ayodhya and pay his respects to her. Then he went to his priest and teacher, Vasistha and saluted him saying that it was due to his blessings and teaching that he could complete the fourteen year long exile and won the war against the most feared and evil minded demon king of Lanka, Ravana.

All the three mothers of Rama were waiting impatiently and eagerly for their loving son Rama to come to them. Among them again, he saw mother Kaikeyi first and went to her. As he touched her feet, she lifted him up and embraced him lovingly and affectionately. All the grief of the past melted in that moment of pure love and affection. No more regrets for what was done, only happiness shining in eyes of both Rama and Kaikeyi. After greeting Sumitra and his own mother, Kousalya, Rama went to Bharat. Bharat was waiting for him with his foot wear to be given back to his elder brother. He had his eyes full with tears.

The moment Rama came near to greet and meet him, Bharat said,
“ My lord, my brother, Ayodhya has been waiting for you for the last fourteen years. I was just a keeper of her safety, not the ruler. Please be our king and take back the responsibilities of ruling the country.”
Rama hugged Bharat with a lot of love and accepted the footwear as a sign agreeing to Bharat’s suggestion. Then his youngest brother Shatrughna hugged Rama and cried on his shoulder showing how much he missed his oldest brother in all those years of his exile.

Then Sita went to the mothers and hugged each with a lot of love and humility. Each mother treated her as though each missed her own daughter. Next come the brothers’ wives who were like her sisters and all of them hugged Sita at the same time. Bharat greeted his sister in law Sita with folded hands and then touched her feet with humility and respect. Shatrughna did the same.

Lakshmana hugged his brother Bharat and touched his feet. Bharat said that he that Lakshmana was the luckiest of all of them because he lived with Rama and had the chance of serving through all these years. Bharat was older than Lakshmana and there was always some kind of rivalry between the two of them regarding serving Rama or just be with him. But then Bharat said one could not say what was in store for him or her.

Then queen mother Kousalya asked the royal priest Vasistha whether her children should get their river bath and go into the palaces. Guru Vasistha replied that he would see to the arrangements of their ceremonial bathing in the Ganges and went away to do the needful. Sita, Urmila and Mandavi went to a different ghat for ladies. Hanuman, Sugriva, Jambavanta and other important guests like Vibhishana too were given suitable accommodation to stay at Ayodhya.

Priest Vasistha directed Hanuman and other fast flying ape soldiers to go to the four sides of the earth and collect water from various seas and holy rivers for the coronation ceremony of Shree Rama on the following day. Different people were given different jobs to run to and get every thing done for the next day.

After the ceremonial baths, the princes and their consorts entered the main palace which was previously that of king Dasaratha. Prince Bharat would not enter the palace of his mother Kaikeyi because he took a vow at the beginning of Rama’s example that he would never enter her palace. He felt she was responsible for plunging the whole family and the city of Ayodhya into an endless gulf of darkness and shadow. So out of hatred and cold contempt, Bharat had vowed never to enter his mother’s chambers nor to talk to her.

After Rama and others had entered the palace of Kaikeyi, Rama looked around and noticed Bharat was not present. So he called for Bharat and Shatrughna told him of the reason. Rama was taken aback and went out to get Bharat. He found him outside in the hall way and asked him to come in. But Bharat wouldn’t budge. He looked as though he was in two frames of mind. As he approached the palace of his mother, Bharat slowly lagged behind others and slid to the back. As he receded he looked over his shoulder to see if anyone was noticing him going away. After what Shatrughna told him Rama went out and went to Bharat. Then Rama took his hand and led him into the chambers of his mother Kaikeyi.
Then he told him of the importance of a mother in a human being’s life. He said,
“My loving brother Bharat, you have not done justice to your mother. A mother is great for many reasons. First, she bore us for nine months in her womb and helped us. She nurtured us with her own blood and flesh and caused us to grow. Then she took the pain and suffering to bring us into this world. After the birth too she became a part of a child’s life. She is the one who holds him to her bosom and suckles him. She teaches you to walk and talk well. Clarity comes with mother’s love. If you fall as you learn to walk she would hold your hand and come with you all the way. She is your first teacher. She tells you what is good and what is not. ”
Bharat looked guilty and looked at his mother Kaikeyi in a sad manner. Nobody could say he was wrong in becoming angry with his mother, because what she did was a grave mistake and she ought to have more sense than listening to the words and impressions of a woman of no knowledge or wisdom.

Rama continued to talk with Bharat.
“Bharat, do you know it is only the mother that can know and share your pain? Whatever way you behave to her, she would always look for what makes you happy and what keeps you healthy. She will forget the hard time she might have had at the hands of her children. It is not right that you did not visit her in her chambers for so long. And I heard that you don’t talk to her. I cannot imagine how you spend your days without talking to your own mother. Bharat, my brother, listen to me and understand the importance of mother in your life. She was feeling miserable about the way you have behaved, but she never complained. No other person in your life would do that.”

With this little explanation by his brother Rama, Bharat was moved to tears and he understood how improper his behavior had been to his mother, Kaikeyi. He was overcome with repentance and regret for the days passed with him and his mother without exchanging a single word or looking at each other’s face. Rama held his hand and led him to his mother Kaikeyi waiting in the hall way. Bharat approached his mother and looked at her suffering face. His eyes welled with tears and years of affection and love waved over. Kaikeyi stretched her arms and took her son into her embrace. People who stood around nodded as if they know of this bond between a mother and son was irrevocable. Certain relationships remained the same all over the world through eons. Thus sree Rama helped Bharat and mother Kaikeyi to meet understand each other better.

All the guests were properly accommodated. The ape soldiers and the asura leaders were given apt cottages for their stay. The arrangements were looked after and taken care of by efficient supervisors. Janaka and his wife and their cousins had arrived from the country of Mithila.

Priest Vasistha asked Sugriva to get the water of the seas and holy rivers to anoint sree Rama as the king of Kosala. The whole country was celebrating the return of their beloved prince Rama. Everywhere there was an atmosphere of festivity and gaiety. Streets were decorated with long chains of mango leaves and flowers of wide variety. They mixed various colors to make lovely patterns on the thresholds and important spots in the towns and villages. Hundreds of people from hamlets and small towns gathered to witness the crowning of Sree Rama as their king and ruler.

The next dawned with choristers singing the praises of the Raghu dynasty and in particular the brave adventures and conquests of Rama. Bugles and trumpets played the melodious music marking the ceremony. Rama, Lakshmana, Bharat and Shatrughna were given auspicious baths and were dressed by their men in waiting. So it was with the ladies. In the central hall of the palace ministers and priests assembled.
© Copyright 2017 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914041