*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914187-Cooking-and-Family
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#914187 added June 26, 2017 at 9:20pm
Restrictions: None
Cooking and Family
I like to cook. I'm often too tired or sore to cook, but it is something I enjoy. I especially like the part where I actually get to feed people, and see how they feel about my cooking. I'm generally a pretty decent cook though, so I think that makes sense. I like to do some light baking as well, but I enjoy it less. I think it's mainly because I prefer savoury foods over sweet foods.

After my grandmother passed away, I actually got her recipe books. I asked for them. One of my biggest regrets after my great-grandmother passed away when I was about twelve was that I didn't have a way to learn all of her recipes. Now I have my grandma's recipes, and there are probably thousands of them, in all different varieties.

My grandma's family has a family reunion every year, and it's in August. Going to the first one since she has passed is going to be absolutely brutal, and it occurred to me that not having her food among the dozens of dishes served would feel horribly strange. I've already decided that I am going to pick out a couple of recipes to bring with me so we would have her food there, even if she can't be there with us.

I think that cooking is often a family thing. You share meals and desserts with your family. You cook with your family. You pass down recipes to those you love. Cooking together and eating together are things that bring family closer. They can also be the setting for some pretty outlandish fights, but I think it's mainly a good thing rather than a disaster.

I already miss my grandma's cooking. It has been a part of my life for as long as I have been able to eat. Without even fully realising yet how interconnected I feel family and food are, I asked for her recipes. I am so glad that I did. I don't know how I would feel about living in a world where her pie crust recipe was lost to me.

I hope that I can share her recipes with my other family. I hope I can pass them down when I'm gone. And I eagerly await the next time I can show my family I care about them by making them a delicious meal.

(I have committed to blogging daily with Give It 100. This is Day Fifty-Seven. Seven days of leave taken total.)

© Copyright 2017 Lady Elizabeth Mormont (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lady Elizabeth Mormont has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914187-Cooking-and-Family