*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914476-10-Awesome-Things-About-Canada
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#914476 added July 1, 2017 at 2:21am
Restrictions: None
10 Awesome Things About Canada
July 1 is Canada Day. 2017 specifically marks Canada's 150th year since confederation. Canada is quite proud of itself, and here in Canada we have set up quite the celebrations, even including year long promotions for national parks and historic sites. Tonight I attended a free concert in my city (Fefe Dobson, for the curious parties), and there are all sorts of free events to attend throughout the entire weekend.

I thought I would mark my own celebrations by listing off some things that are really great about Canada.

1. Marriage Equality
We've had marriage equality on a national scale for twelve years! Canada was the first non-European country to make marriage equality a reality, and the fourth country overall in the world.

2. Poutine
Seriously, if you haven't had poutine you're missing out. Fries, gravy, poutine. You can add other toppings too, but as long as you have the essentials, you're set for a delicious time.

3. The Music Scene
Canadian music is some of the best music in the world. I especially think our 1990s alternative rock music was some of the best available. It helps that Canadian bands actually tour Canada, so there's an actual chance of Canadians being treated to a concert.

4. Desserts
We have butter tarts and nanaimo bars, both of which are two of the best sweets to ever grace my tongue. I could eat a tub of butter tart filling and die a happy woman (probably from eating a tub of butter tart filling). Don't forget all the maple flavoured candy.

5. Hockey
We did it first. We do it best. American teams win with Canadian players. This is an area of national pride I refuse to bend on, despite hardly being able to skate. I still remember the winning goal in the gold medal game of the 2010 Olympics held on Canadian soil.

6. The Underground Railroad
One of the most significant things in Canadian history prior to confederation was the Underground Railroad. Canada served as a safe haven for thousands of slaves to escape to freedom.

7. WWI Successes
Some of the most significant Canadian Corps successes were during the first world war, and some of the most significant WWI successes were made by the Canadian Corps. This year is also the one hundred year anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, which Canada won due to well planned tactical maneuvers.

8. The Burning of the White House
During the War of 1812, Canadian troops (British at the time) burned Washington, including the White House. I have fond memories of middle school history class, where we listened to entire songs about burning down the White House.

9. The Natural Beauty
The Great Lakes, Niagara Falls, the Rocky Mountains, Banff National Park, Hopewell Rocks, and many more. Being such physically large nation means that there is vast opportunity for beautiful natural scenery, and it is certainly there. You can visit just about any portion of Canada and find something beautiful to see.

10. Multiculturalism
Canada in its very nature is multicultural. With a mixture of indigenous, British, and French heritage, Canada was founded on multiple cultures. Both French and English are official languages of the country, although many other languages are spoken. With a long history of welcoming immigrants to the new world, it's no surprise that Canada has a grand mix of all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds.

(I have committed to blogging daily with Give It 100. This is Day Sixty. Seven days of leave taken total.)

© Copyright 2017 Lady Elizabeth Mormont (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lady Elizabeth Mormont has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914476-10-Awesome-Things-About-Canada