*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914766-The-Best-Graphic-Novels-Ive-Read-So-Far-This-Year
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#914766 added July 4, 2017 at 11:56pm
Restrictions: None
The Best Graphic Novels I've Read So Far This Year
As an avid reader, I tend to consume a lot of any reading material I can get my hands on. This year I have managed to be particularly prolific, and so I thought I might share some of my favourite new finds. Unfortunately most of them have not been new releases, merely new to me, but I thought it might be worth sharing anyway.

Starting off with graphic novels, here are the ones I have rated five stars this year.

Ms Marvel, Vol 1
By G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona
Ms Marvel is a reboot of a previous serious, with an all new character as the headlining hero. The previous Ms Marvel is now Captain Marvel, and the new Ms Marvel as Kamala Khan. Kamala is a teenage girl, and daughter to Pakistani immigrants. Her unique background for a superhero gives her a completely new perspective that makes the new Ms Marvel stand out as a hero all her own. The details are also incredibly relatable, including the demands of parents and the perils of a dead phone battery. This is one of my favourite superhero reads from the last few years, and one that I recommend without hesitation.

Monstress, Vol 1
By by Marjorie M. Liu and Sana Takeda
Monstress is an epic fantasy tale in comic format, featuring fantastic storytelling and some of the best art I've been introduced to in years. Set in a war-ravaged land, the story focuses on Maika Halfwolf, a teenage girl with physical and psychological wounds from the warfare, and powers she can't quite control, as she seeks her vengeance. It's an intricately woven story, with an interesting cast of characters, and enough twists and turns to satisfy any reader. The art is as intricate and unique as the story. This is one of my favourite new series since Saga. I readily recommend this to anyone looking for a fantastic new read, but offer a caution due to the violent content.

Nimona
By Noelle Stevenson
Nimona is a young adult fantasy that flips the good vs evil dichotomy on its head. Nimona is a shapeshifter with few limitations, including moral ones. She acts as sidekick to the villain Sir Blackheart, as they fight the hero Sir Goldenloin. The hero and the villain have a history that ups the tension, and as the Institution that backs the heroes seems to be going about some shady tasks that the villains must fight against. Nimona is a heartwarming story, but also hilarious, filled with action, and filled with unexpected twists. Another one that I completely recommend (these are my five star reads, after all).

(I have committed to blogging daily with Give It 100. This is Day Sixty-Four. Seven days of leave taken total.)

© Copyright 2017 Elizabeth (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elizabeth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914766-The-Best-Graphic-Novels-Ive-Read-So-Far-This-Year