*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915247-Fantasy-Newsletter-for-Augst-Deadline8717
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#915247 added August 10, 2017 at 7:18pm
Restrictions: None
Fantasy Newsletter for Augst (Deadline:8/7/17)
Items for Editor's Picks

1. Escape from Alpha
2. Family Secrets
3. Tobias the Torturer
4. Kalamity
5. Return to New London
6. Impious Hearts
7. Barnaby, son of the traitor (01)

Research

Title

GoT and Genre Reviewing
Second Title

Things I learned about genre reviewing from my participation in Got

Hook

Can you improve your genre reviews by pushing yourself beyond your perceived character count limits?

About This Newsletter

"Helpful reviews are supposed to be encouraging. If a reviewer does not encourage you to write then they have failed in their task."

STATIC
Sardine Sandwiches and Whales  (E)
About Points of View Featuring a Lactose Intolerant Grilled Cheese Sandwich
#836999 by ♥Hooves♥

"A bad review is like baking a cake with all the best ingredients and having someone sit on it."
Danielle Steel

“Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible, and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Letter From the Editor

This year I am participating in "Game of Thrones, and one of the important aspects of this game on writing.com is reviewing. All GoT reviews have to be at least 1000 characters long. This means that, if you usually write 250 character reviews, you are being pushed beyond your perceived limits. This can be frightening and stressful the first few times you write 1000 character reviews, which brings me to a couple of questions.

Can you improve your reviews by pushing yourself beyond your perceived word count or character count limits? Yes! How does pushing yourself beyond your limits improve your reviews and make them more helpful? First, it gets you out of any rut or box you have inadvertently gotten yourself into. I have found, that when I write reviews of around 250 characters, I look for only the most obvious technical problems and typos. When I go beyond the 250 character limit in a review, I have to look at other aspects of the story. To do this I have to slow down because sometimes there are subtle issues with plot or character that you do not detected in a quick read or the first reading of the story.

When doing genre review, especially in fantasy and science fiction, look closely at the technology, as well as the plot and characters, used in the story. The reason I write this is that sometimes I tend to either overlook the technology or do not mention it in the review. In fantasy and science fiction the technology, magic is a form of technology, is important to the plot of the story. If you need to create a review template especially for fantasy or science fiction, do so, but remember to put a line in about the technology.

Is there something you have learned from participating in GoT about reviewing? Have year learned something about reviewing from reading other people's reviews? Are you a member of a group that focuses on reviewing? If so, is there something you have learned from the group about reviewing? Please share your thought about reviewing, especially reviewing fantasy and science fiction stories or poems.

Editor's Picks

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2129023 by Not Available.

Excerpt: “Hurry John! They’re coming!” A woman’s voice calls to the enormous man lumbering down the corridor. Johns’ body was experiencing a rush of adrenaline like never before. He is running for his life. In fact, all of them have been running for their lives.

 
STATIC
Family Secrets  (ASR)
Your people are dying in war, do you save them if discovery means being burned as a witch?
#2099254 by CanImagine

Excerpt: The knife blade nicked Lindsy's ear, bringing a drop of blood before embedding itself into the ancient oak tree behind her. She reached up and grabbed the cut, removing her hand after a few seconds, leaving her ear healed.

 Tobias the Torturer   (13+)
A character in the Pandora Series
#2127629 by percy goodfellow

Excerpt: In the Who's Who of Evil, considering all the disreputable scoundrels with feeble claim to humanity, one miserable scum-bag stands out. He was Monk Stephen's chief assistant. Tobias ran the "Reeducation Program." It was rumored that he'd been hand picked by Satan himself for the job.

STATIC
Kalamity  (13+)
It was the first of its kind; a promise of the future.
#1990430 by iKïyå§ama-BacktoWonderland!

Excerpt: Somewhere below, yet another metallic groan of the hull shattered the monotonous silence. He grimaced and attempted to change positions, his lower limbs now numb from hours of inactivity. Aunt Beatrice would have a field day if she were to see him this way. Why, she'd waste no time admonishing him for being such an impolite cad. Her sharp tongue would pierce through his usual veil of disinterest, her afternoon tea long forgotten as she would take muted pleasure at her ability to peg him in his place. Perhaps the lecture would end with a rap of her umbrella on his head and a verbal promise never, ever, ever again to act that way in her presence.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2116688 by Not Available.

Excerpt: Amie Wakefield stepped down from the self-propelled steam cab and tapped the door to send it back to its stand. She took a deep breath, but was forced to start the air cleaner modification disguised as large pearl in the notch of her throat, due to the foul air. She began to walk into the dock area, hoping for the smell of salt and sea that was Londontown to her.

 Impious Hearts  (E)
Science Fiction story set in the distant future.
#2130177 by SamMcG

Excerpt: "Captain on Deck!" shouted the Executive Officer as Captain Hiram Novak entered the Command Operations Hub of the Interstellar Commonwealth Naval Exploratory Vessel Yanlai. The Yanlai had been underway for three years. It had traveled nearly 500 light years in that time using the advanced slipstream technology that had allowed humanity to expand out of the Sol system into the Orion Arm.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2124998 by Not Available.

Excerpt: Barnaby stood stick straight, hands glued to his sides to avoid nervous shaking, and knees locked to the tallest, most royal, posture he could pose. He breathed so silently as not to be breathing at all, and he did not allow his eyes to move from the man behind the high desk. He knew that only the guilty looked away.



Christopher Roy Denton writes: Hello Neva!

Thanks for mentioning my novel opening chapters in your newsletter.

Cheers,

Bob

You're welcome. Prosperous Snow Valentine

writes:


© Copyright 2017 Prosperous Snow Valentine (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow Valentine has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915247-Fantasy-Newsletter-for-Augst-Deadline8717