*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915339-Genealogy-Daze
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1300042
All that remains: here in my afterlife as a 'mainstream' blogger, with what little I know.
#915339 added July 13, 2017 at 9:44pm
Restrictions: None
Genealogy Daze
I did the Ancestry.com DNA sample kit that I got for my birthday and have been wrapped up in genealogy. Most of the work was done years ago by my cousins Dennis and Debra (my Mom's side). With Celtic roots, I'm 67% Great Britain, only 21% Italy/Greece (sorry Dad). And, nine percent located in: Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein. Less than one percent Asian.

I learned I am the great, great, great grandson of Irishman whose name came from McAdoh or McHugh or McCue. McAdoh is said to be Celtic for "son of fire." He participated in the 1798 Irish revolution and dropped the Mc from his last name (to hide from the English) when he moved to America not long after -- where met a woman in Pennsylvania and married. She gave birth to my great, great grandpa and died shortly thereafter. He married twice more and his lineage carries nearly 1400 offspring to this day.

Funny that my great Italian grandpa's story has similarity. He fled supposedly because of a murder. He didn't want to be implicated, moved to America and got settled. Eventually all but one of his offspring relocated here, too. My grandpa Bertolomeo fought for the United States in the Spanish-American War of 1898. He was an iron miner.

I'm learning one of my all-time favorite writers may be a distant relative -- Margaret Atwood (10th cousin). Still trying to confirm, since I'm not a premium member of Ancestry.com. Dennis said we are related to Laura Ingalls Wilder and a descendant of a Mayflower voyageur. Not done building my family tree and yet to visualize the full work of my cousins. Hoping to add more.

© Copyright 2017 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915339-Genealogy-Daze