*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916168-Music-Above-60-North
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#916168 added July 25, 2017 at 9:24pm
Restrictions: None
Music Above 60° North
60° north is pretty far to the north. Let's use this map   as a reference point for anyone who is uncertain of just how far north 60°N is. This is just a little bit south of the Arctic Circle (66°N). It's safe to say that most music that the average person listens to falls below the 60°N marker. I enjoy hearing music from places all over the world, and so I thought I would share some of the interesting artists I have heard that originated in the northern part of the world.

Note: I haven't listened to much music from the parts of Russia that are 60°N or above, so nothing from that region appears here. It wasn't intentional neglect, the area just doesn't have as much music due to the sparse population, and what's there isn't the easiest to find. If you know of music from Russia that is further north than 60°N, please feel free to suggest it in the comments.

Tanya Tagaq
Tanya Tagaq originates from Cambridge Bay, Nunavut, Canada. She mixes her incredible throat singing with folk, rock, hip hop, and generally experimental stylings, often with topics in relation to her Inuk background.

Track to try: Aorta  


Lucie Idlout
Lucie Idlout is from Iqaluit, Nunavut. Idlout's rock singer-songwriter tunes, with a beat to tap your toes to, often have a focus on First Nations issues based on her Inuk background.

Track to try: E5-770: My Mother's Name  


The Jerry Cans
The Jerry Cans are a folk rock group out of Iqaluit, Nunavut. Their music combines folk and country influences, while their vocals are mainly sung in Inuktitut, the Inuit language. Their vocal stylings also include throat singing.

Track to try: Ukiuq  


Small Time Giants
Small Time Giants originate out of Qaqortoq in the southern portion of Greenland, although their drummer is from Denmark. Their music is alternative rock.

Track to try: We Are the Arctic  


Amiina
Amiina is an all woman Icelandic band based out of Reykjavik. Their music blends post rock with folk stylings, with several string instruments involved (including violin, viola, and cello).

Track to try: Lóri  


Lene Marlin
Lene Marlin originates from Stordalstrand in the northern portion of Norway. She is a singer-songwriter who makes catchy pop rock tunes perfect for toe tapping and singing along.

Track to try: Sitting Down Here  


Mari Boine
Mari Boine originates from Gámehisnjárga in the northern portion of Norway. Her music blends the traditional Joik stylings from northern Europe with contemporary folk.

Track to try: Oktavuohta  


Eivør Pálsdóttir
Eivør Pálsdóttir is from Syðrugøta in the Faroe Islands, located about midway between Norway and Iceland. Her music is incredibly experimental at times, playing with her vocals as she makes art pop, folk, and big band tunes.

Track to try: Trøllabundin  


Moon Safari
Moon Safari is from Skellefteå in the northern portion of Sweden. They make symphonic progressive rock, complete with perfectly harmonised vocals and lengthy tracks.

Track to try: The Ghost of Flowers Past  


Emiliana Torrini
Emiliana Torrini originates from Kópavogur in Iceland. Her music is soft dream pop with folk and trip hop elements. She is best known for performing the credits track Gollum's Song in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers film.

Track to try: Telepathy  


(I have committed to blogging daily with Give It 100. This is Day Eighty-Five. Eight days of leave taken total.)

© Copyright 2017 Lady Elizabeth Mormont (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lady Elizabeth Mormont has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916168-Music-Above-60-North