*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916638-Things-You-Can-Use-As-Bookshelves-That-Are-Not-Bookshelves
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#916638 added August 2, 2017 at 10:32pm
Restrictions: None
Things You Can Use As Bookshelves That Are Not Bookshelves
When you have a lot of books, you start to get to a certain point where you run out of shelving space. Eventually you might even run out of space to put more shelves. Ultimately this means that you have to get creative with your storage ideas. Books can't just be left carelessly scattered about (well they can, but it just isn't good form), so you get creative.

One of the best ideas I ever had was a DIY bookshelf made of Nerd Block boxes. I removed the lids, used the excess cardboard to reinforce the main part of the box, and nailed the box to the wall. I have three of these boxes up, one on top of the other, and they are the perfect size for mass market paperbacks. I actually have my VC Andrews collection in the boxes. I set this up about a year ago, and it has held quite well. (See image here  .)

A few years ago I found a cupboard for $5 at Goodwill. Without making any changes, I filled it with books and gifted it to my little brother. He has a hidden bookshelf in a cupboard that was simply never mounted on the wall. The cupboard is a full sized kitchen cupboard that holds quite a few books. As cupboards are made to hold cans, dishes, etc, it has been incredibly sturdy for his books.

Despite my living space being quite full of shelves, I have once again started to contemplate getting creative with my space as I seem to be running out once again. I could always get a hold of more boxes to add to my Nerd Block shelf, but those boxes only hold paperbacks and not too many of them, and my wall space has become quite cramped as well (framed posters, artwork, photography, etc, plus the height of existing shelves).

It occurred to me that dressers and tables that have drawers might be a good alternative. If there is drawer space to spare, a drawer can become a pullout shelf that can later be tucked away. As well, any surface can become a bookshelf if you have something to use as bookends. I use my dresser and shelf tops, and when I run our of bookends I use Pop! dolls, snow globes, and any other trinkets that might be big enough and weighty enough.

What about the rest of you folks here at WDC? Do you use anything as a bookshelf that traditionally wouldn't be considered a bookshelf?

(I have committed to blogging daily with Give It 100. This is Day Ninety-Three. Eight days of leave taken total.)

© Copyright 2017 Lady Elizabeth Mormont (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lady Elizabeth Mormont has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916638-Things-You-Can-Use-As-Bookshelves-That-Are-Not-Bookshelves