*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916741-Prompt-1--Eves-Trip-to-Paradise-or-Hell--Story
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2088681
My work for my team, House Martell
#916741 added February 3, 2023 at 6:47pm
Restrictions: None
Prompt 1 ~ Eve's Trip to Paradise or Hell ~ Story
Feeling groggy, and disoriented, I opened my eyes and stared into the eyes of a lizard, which scurried away when I moved to sit up. “Where in the blazes am I?”

Startling a crab who was walking by, he swiftly buried himself in the sand with just his eyes peeking out, staring at me like I was a freak of nature or something.

I looked around, seeing nothing but sand, water, and a forest of trees in the distance. “How did I get here?”

What am I going to do? I know nothing about surviving. I checked my pockets, and all I had was a toothpick and a soggy match. “Water, I can’t survive without drinking water!”

I paced back and forth, working up a sweat, hoping someone would come along and rescue me, but my instincts told me that wouldn’t happen anytime soon, and there was no one in sight.

I began thinking of wild animals who may be on this island, it could be home to gorillas, wild cats of any sort, and maybe bears. Chills crawled down my back at the thought of dreaded snakes, and spiders, “Gadzooks, I might be prey instead of predator.”

This is going to be a trying time, so buck up, kiddo, you’re going to need all your common sense, or I'll die.

“I would love to, but I don’t know how, I’m just a city girl whose favorite thing to do was go shopping,” I answered.

Well, change is good, but does it have to be a life-and-death change?

Stop it! I have to remember what I learned at girl scouts, and the first thing you always do is make a shelter first, but how? I don’t have any tools. “Holy cow! I’m going to turn into a cavewoman! What did Tom Hanks do in this situation?”

Well, of course, he had a camera on him at all times, and the camera crew; he wasn’t alone as I am now. I better stop freaking out and began thinking more clearly.

I began walking towards the tree line, and maybe danger. Good thing I exercise a lot, this is going to be a long trek, and please let there be fresh water like a creek or a river of sorts. Thank goodness the sun wasn’t hot, just a nice, comfortable temperature that didn’t make me sweat. Reaching the trees, I found that they looked more like a jungle, with tall palm trees along with other trees I didn’t recognize. I picked my way through the underbrush, hoping no poisonous snakes will slither down and bite me. I kept walking, because there weren’t any options, I needed to find water.

I didn’t know how long I was walking, but hearing sounds like a waterfall made me hurry, following the sound, getting closer to the source. There it is, the most wonderful sight ever! I ran the rest of the way and dropped down to take a long cool drink. It tasted wonderful! There was a berry tree nearby, so I picked one to taste. “Yummmm, so sweet and juicy, that I began to cry.”

I let out all my fears and frustrations but felt a little better afterward. At least I won’t die from dehydration; plus, these berries will keep me alive for a while at least until I can get my bearings on what to do.

I stripped down to nothing, jumped into the water, and swam to the other side and back ten times, getting all my aggression out of being stuck here, and the worse part is, I cannot even remember how I got in this mess in the first place. What a conundrum!

I slipped back into my only clothes, and my worries began anew. “What will I be wearing many years from now? With nobody around, who would care? I’ll be Eve, lady of the forest.”

Tired from the swimming, my head aching from all the stress, I lay down and fell into a fitful sleep. I was rudely awakened by someone shaking me, and remembering I was supposed to be alone, I screamed to high heaven thinking a gorilla was doing the shaking.

“Hush, it’s me, your fellow traveler, Joy Silverton.”

“What? How did you get here?” I rubbed my eyes, and looked up into bright, blue eyes I remembered as my shipmate. “Hi, Joy, what happened to me?”

“You fell overboard, you don’t remember?”

“I’m beginning to, I must’ve hit my head when I tripped, became dizzy … Then darkness.”

“When you turned up missing for our lunch date, I went to the captain, and he did a head count. We knew then what must have happened, and this island was the only place you could have gone to, so we began our search. It's a good thing we were close, or you would’ve drowned for sure, or eaten by sharks.

“Stop! I don’t want to hear any more gory ways of dying. My head’s spinning with all my thoughts of being preyed upon by wild animals.”

“Okay then, let’s head, it’s a long walk back to our beautiful ship.”

“No more wearing heels on board, that’s what got me in this mess in the first place!” I hugged Joy, happy to have this nightmare over with. “Thank you for finding me!”

“Well, Charles was quite upset too. I think he has a thing for you.” Joy winked.

“Charles, the lawyer!” Eyes wide, I shook my head frantically. “I don’t like lawyers ever since my divorce.”

“Neither do I, but he doesn’t have the hots for me, so I’m in the clear. He is quite tall and handsome though.”

“That’s just like you, Joy, trying to match me up with every Tom, Dick, or Harry. I’m not over being hurt by the last idiot I was married to, so not ready to jump into more heartache.”

I breathed a sigh of relief as we walked arm in arm to civilization, back into my life.

995 words
© Copyright 2023 Jeannie Cheering for Martel (UN: sjs55049 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeannie Cheering for Martel has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916741-Prompt-1--Eves-Trip-to-Paradise-or-Hell--Story