*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917566-Montevideo
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#917566 added August 15, 2017 at 8:42am
Restrictions: None
Montevideo
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/south-america/uruguay/montevideo/
Clicking on this link will bring up a map of Montevideo. Clicking on the map brings up specific pictures of specific places.


August 15th Good Morning
https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductDetail-g294323-d11452291-Montevideo...
Get an introduction to Montevideo, the capital city of Uruguay, on a 3-hour city sightseeing tour — perfect for those short on time. Travel by coach with your knowledgeable guide, and step off the bus to view prominent landmarks around Independence Plaza and other city hot spots. See Parliament Palace; venture into the residential barrios of Carrasco, Punta Gorda and Pocitos; and stroll along the coastal avenue, Rambla of Montevideo. Round-trip hotel transport included.
Get acquainted with Montevideo’s architectural landmarks, neighborhoods and coastal views on this insightful 3-hour guided tour of the capital. Board your coach upon hotel pickup for the drive to Independence Plaza (Plaza Independencia), which divides Montevideo’s Old Town and downtown.
Your guide points out the monument to José Artigas, Uruguay's great military leader and national hero, and leads you on a walk around the plaza. Admire the Italian Gothic–style architecture of the Palacio Salvo (Palacio Legislativo), whose 26 stories once made it South America tallest building. View Puerta de la Ciudadela, one of the few remaining parts of the city wall that once surrounded colonial Montevideo.
Back aboard the bus, head to the barrio of El Prado, home to three soccer stadiums and Prado Park. Listen to your guide’s commentary as your city tour continues to elegant Carrasco, Punta Gorda and Pocitos, traveling along La Rambla de Montevideo. Get out to stroll a section of this beachside promenade where you can browse local shops and enjoy lovely coastal views from Punta Gorda before the return drive to your hotel.
A quiet afternoon at the hotel before our late night
https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductDetail-g294323-d11452294-Montevideo...




Uruguay Politics:
There is a two party system consisting of the Colorado and national parties.
Uruguay has a constitution / The popular vote elects a Presidente for a 5 year term.
The general assembly building (Palacio Legislatavo) is an ornate building with a paved courtyard. I have always liked South American architecture for its beauty of form.

Rambla Ore Avenido (the coastal avenue) runs the length of Montevideo along the coast of the city, According to Wikipedia it is the world's longest walkway. It is another place to soak up the culture of the city in the evening when the public enjoys the coolness of the day.

In Prado, you can view the residential palace and other residences as they connect to the central park and botanical gardens. The whole area is filled with heavy green as if the jungle would take back the city and reconnect it to the wild. The soccer fields are also adjacent to the park.One day simply isn't enough to take in all the sites.

Although I don't dance formally I do dance in my house. I liked learning the steps to the Melonga. According to the teaching video Melonga refers to both a party and the dance they will use at the party. Melonga music is an African based happy dance. Candombe seems to encompass the steps used in Melonga with wilder improviser steps incorporated.

This is a really good vacation for me. I am learning a lot I never took the time to learn before. It makes sense to some of the news I see on PBS.

Adios

Merit Badge in Blogging
[Click For More Info]

Congrats on winning 3rd Place in the May 2017  [Link To Item #30dbc] !

P.S. Fall Regstration Starts August 19 for New Horizons Academy



© Copyright 2017 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917566-Montevideo