*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917722-the-Patagonian-Shelf
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#917722 added August 17, 2017 at 4:51am
Restrictions: None
the Patagonian Shelf
August 17, 2017
Rise and Shine… we’re going by 4 wheel drive to our day’s excursion. We’ll be dining back at the house.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductDetail?product=5640P50&d=203794...


Owl with signature


Today's book: In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin, ( Nicholas Shakespeare, introduction) Reference: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/79909.In_Patagonia / the following quote is from In Patagonia from the Goodreads.com reference.

Quote:“I climbed a path and from the top looked up-stream towards Chile. I could see the river, glinting and sliding through the bone-white cliffs with strips of emerald cultivation either side. Away from the cliffs was the desert. There was no sound but the wind, whirring through thorns and whistling through dead grass, and no other sign of life but a hawk, and a black beetle easing over white stones.” — 11 likes

The Patagonian shelf is geographic land rising up under the ocean. Part of South America rests on this shelf. It juts out under Argentina. The Falklands are also part of the shelf.

The journey to Volunteer Point was an excellent way to get a good look at the Island. There are about 3000 native born people living on the Falklands. They are British Citizens. Both of the main islands have mountain ranges that reach 2300 feet.

It was a muddy, bumpy trek onto the Point by automobile. As we drew closer I was interested to see penguins grazing beside flocks of sheep. Sheep and fishing are two of the ways people earn their livings here. After we passed the fencing onto the point we saw a Trekkers House called Volunteer Shanty. It had a fenced yard protecting it from the wildlife. We stopped the automobiles close by and wandered on foot from there, to see the sights.

Three species of penguins are here, King, Magellanic and Gentoo. The Penguins were as curious as we were. As we stood quietly snapping pictures, they would wander close. Other types of wildlife were here too. Steamer Ducks, ruddy headed geese, and white-bridled finches find their home on these islands. There are also some elephant seals. Most are protected species who struggle to maintain their grasp on the island. Because of introduced species that are also making their home here.

It was a good day. Carly, Blue Moon, Lyn and just everyone sat around at dinner discussing the sights. It is a very quiet restful place where we are staying. Like most of the housing I saw on our excursion today. The yard is protected from sheep flocks and wildlife by a fence.

I will spend the night reading about Patagonia.

Merit Badge in Blogging
[Click For More Info]

Congrats on winning 3rd Place in the May 2017  [Link To Item #30dbc] !


© Copyright 2017 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917722-the-Patagonian-Shelf