*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/919812
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2110197
A chain of vignettes.
#919812 added September 5, 2017 at 6:13am
Restrictions: None
S-5 Words-2000
the Pandavas was the next one to manifest the result of his education.

When the people of Hastinapur saw Arjuna using the astras he learnt from Drona, they cheered him. They were impressed by his wide knowledge of different astras which could be invoked only through powerful mantras. Drona tested his knowledge and skill by asking him to show a particular weapon which had a particular effect. For example, there was an astra called vayavya astra which induces thunderstorm and fierce winds. Arjuna was able to do this. Likewise, he could induce different elements and manifest them to the audience. Kunti was a proud mother on that day. Drona had just announced Arjuna as an indefatigable archer of this generation.

The moment he announced this, a young man shining like sun, came forward and said,

“No Acharya! Arjuna is not unconquerable. I can do much better than him with astras and shastras. Let me prove my merit by a duel with Arjuna.”

Then Kripacharya, the main priest of the Kuru kings asked him to give his personal details. They come to know that Karna was the son of a chariot driver. So they disqualified him from entering the arena where the princes participated. It was a great irony. Karna, if you remember was the son of Kunti when she tested the mantra given by sage Durvasa before she was married. The fourteen year old girl not knowing what to do with the babe in her arms abandoned it in the river in a basket. That was Karna who in fact more than qualified than the princes. His birth was the outcome of divine grace. Yet, he did not know of this secret behind his birth. His mother Kunti recognized him as her son, but could not open her mouth due to the taboo of the society that shunned an unmarried mother. Karna became the victim despite being innocent.

When the eldest brother of the Kauravas, Duryodhana saw the shining armor and ear drops of the warrior, Karna being accused of lowly birth, he immediately came to his rescue. On the spot in the open arena of Hastinapur, he declared Karna as his best friend and made him the king of the Anga kingdom. Then he challenged those who did not allow Karna to take part in the archery demonstration.

“This is Anga king Karna. He is an invincible archer and a warrior. He is my best friend and well wisher. He is now the head of a state like me or like any other king. He is fit to fight with any Kshatriya at any time.”
So saying Duryodhana embraced Karna and made him his friend for life.

Karna was grateful for the generosity showed by Duryodhana. He pledged his loyalty to Karna and declared that he would give his life for the good of his friend.

Thus the eldest of Kunti’s children was claimed by the rivals of Pandavas and the situation remained so till the Maha Bharata war was over.

Drona’s gurudakshina-

Once the education was over and its merit tested in the open court of Hastinapur as witnessed by royal families and the people of the country, it was time for the princes to pay the gurudakshina to their teacher Drona.

They approached him and asked him to let them pay him his gurudakshina. Drona thought for a while and asked them to go capture the king of Panchala, named Drupada, and bring him to his presence. Both the Pandavas and the Kauravas were ready to obey the command of Drona. Duryodhana was assertive that he would go and subdue Drupada and bring him as the teacher asked.

Duryodhana went with his brothers, his friend Karna and the troops of Hastinapur to Panchala, the kingdom of Drupada. But Drupada proved an excellent warrior who could handle any weapon with ease. Duryodhana and Karna had to run away from the battle field to save their skin and life.

In the meanwhile, Arjuna asked Drona,
“O teacher of mine, why did you not let us do the service that you had sent Duryodhana to accomplish?”

Drona replied,
“Arjuna, there is one more lesson that Duryodhana should learn. That lesson is how to be humble and knowing the difference between humility and arrogance.”

When Duryodhana came back empty-handed, Drona asked the Pandavas to go and capture Drupada and bring him over to him.

The Pandavas were invincible and courageous. Dharmaraja or Yudhishtar refused to accept the help of the soldiers of Hastinapur because it was not the concern of Hastinapur. It was a matter that concerned their individual selves.

So they launched an attack on the kingdom of Panchala and defeated its king Drupada, shackled him and brought him to the hermitage of Drona.

Drona smiled at the defeated enemy who was once his boyhood friend. So what happened that changed their friendship to hostility?

Drona’s reasons for asking for the kind of gurudakshina he asked i.e. the captivity of Drupada-

When they were at the innocent stage of boys, Drona and Drupada learnt from the same guru. They were close friends and equals in gaining knowledge. Barriers like caste and creed, status and rank were unknown to them. They passed out of the gurukula and went their different ways. Drupada became the king of Panchala and Drona a devoted teacher and ascetic.

Drona was later married to Kripi, the sister of rishi Kripacharya, the priest of the king of Hastinapur. Eventually, Kripi gave birth to a baby boy named Ashwathama. Since they were poor, the family could not afford a cow, the milk of which was a dire necessity to the infant. Looking at the misery of the mother and child, Drona decided to go to his former classmate and friend Drupada to request for a cow, so the boy might have his daily supply of milk.

With time came differences in opinions in Drupada. When Drona made a request for a cow on grounds of friendship, Drupada became furious. He stated none too gently, that they were not equal anymore. He was a king and Drona was just a poor Brahmin. Considering his poverty, Drupada said he would give a cow in charity but not in the name of friendship, which did not exist between the two of them any longer.

Drona felt insulted and vowed to take revenge on the proud Drupada. He however took his son with him and went away to some place in the forest. His wife Kripi was left behind in the ashram of her brother, Kripa. Kripa too was not able to bring his brother-in-law Drona, back to his sister. Drona did not reveal the reason for his abandoning of Kripi, his wife.

Drona was constantly bothered and angered by the words of Drupada. The embers of giving him a fitting reply burnt in Drona’s mind constantly. It was only when the princes of Hastinapur asked him to let them pay gurudakshina for their completed education under his tutelage, that Drona opened his heart and mind to them.

when confronted with the defeated Drupada, Drona said,

“What do you say now, Drupada? Are we equals now? Your entire kingdom is mine. But by virtue of our friendship I will give you half the kingdom. From the other half, which is mine, I will take one cow, which I have asked you for.”

Then he took the one cow he needed and went to his wife Kripi and presented it to her. Kripi was joyous and welcomed both her husband and son, Ashwathama back into their home.

Now was the time for Krishna to join the royal family of the Kurus and the Pandavas.

After having paid his respects and gurudakshina to sage Sandipan, Krishna and Balarama decided to go back to Mathura and Brindavan. King Ugrasena ruled the yadava kingdom with efficiency. Yet, his kingdom was often bothered by a neighbor ruler, Jarasandha of Magadha kingdom. Jarasandha resented the yadavas and particularly, Krishna. So often he used to launch attacks on Mathura and tested the alertness of the troops of the yadava of their might and military preparedness.

When Krishna came back to Mathura things were not as peaceful as he would expect them to be. His father Vasudeva was much bothered by these frequent attacks by the Magadha king Jarasandha. Krishna said he would put his fears to rest and immediately went on war with Jarasandha. Both Krishna and Balarama taught their arrogant neighbor a fitting lesson and defeated them in the war. Jarasandha carried undying wish to avenge his defeat at some point of time.

Before we proceed with the story of Krishna, let us see how he got the possession of a powerful weapon named Sudarshana chakra, a wheel that was used to sever the head of enemy.

The Sudarshana chakra was actually in possession of the powerful sage and a great warrior, Parashurama. At the time bidding good bye to his worldly life which was also the end of an avatar of Vishnu, Parashurama met Krishna and his brother Balarama. He said the Sudarshana chakra, which was in his possession till that moment, must now go to Krishna, the next avatar who was going to defend dharma.

Once Mathura was free from sudden and irrational attacks by the Magadha king, Krishna wanted to go to an independent yadava kingdom, the name of which he proposed was, Dwaraka. After prolonged discussions with his father, Vasudeva and grandfather, Ugrasena and his brother, Balarama, Krishna proceeded to found the kingdom of Dwaraka near the coast in the north. He ordered the divine architect, Vishwakarma to build him a beautiful city. Vishwakarma was pleased to do the service as requested by Krishna the very avatar of Vishnu.

Krishna’s story of love and marriage-

There was a kingdom named Vidarbha in North West of Dwaraka. It was ruled by a king named Bhishmaka. He had son named Rukmi and a daughter named Rukmini. She grew up to be a beautiful damsel. She was in love with Krishna for a long time. No one knows of her love.

The Magadha king Jarasandha who was defeated by Krishna and Balarama was nursing his revenge against Krishna. He thought of a major strategy to defeat Krishna. He planned a political marriage between Rukmini, the lovely daughter of Bhishmaka and his friend and helper, Shishupala. Shishupala was the king of Chedi, which was also a neighboring country. He thought if he could bring about a marriage alliance between Rukmini and Shishupala, he would get the support of not only Shishupala but also his warrior brothers in fighting with Krishna. With this plan in mind Jarasandha visited Bhishmaka of Vidarbha.

Bhishmaka, the king of Vidarbha was pleased to welcome Jarasandha into this palace and he had sent his eldest son Rukmi to escort him to his presence. Rukmi liked Jarasandha and brought him to his father. Jarasandha reiterated his wish to prolong their friendship and proximity at which both the father and son were happy. Then Jarasandha had brought up the topic of Rukmini’s marriage with Shishupala.

At this marriage proposal, both Bhishmaka and Rukmi were happy. But the second son of Bhishmaka, named Rukmada said Rukmini’s marriage must be with a great warrior and a great person. He told them that such a person was none other than Krishna himself. Rukmi, his elder brother was angry at this idea. He refused to give his sister’s hand in marriage to Krishna. He convinced his father that Krishna was not their equal. He said that Krishna’s birth was of a doubtful background. No one knew he said whether Krishna was born to Devaki or Yashoda. Rukmi’s father too agreed with him. They agreed to hold the swayamvara of Rukmini to which Shishupala would be the main invitee. They decided not to invite Krishna to the event.

But Rukmini was grieved at the situation. By some means, she wanted to marry Krishna, her sweetheart since she grew up. She loved
© Copyright 2017 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/919812