*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/920046-Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Book · Detective · #2132641
Sherlock Holmes investigates a murder that occurs when Spike first becomes a vampire.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#920046 added September 9, 2017 at 5:08pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2

Chapter 2


“Miss Halfrich,” we were told by the Maid who answered Holmes’ knocking, “ain’t at home sir. Today, she be with a gentleman friend. A Professor Moriarty. This evenin’ they’ll be ‘tendin’ the Theater.”

“I see.” Holmes asked, “Would you happen to know the name of the Theater?”

“I do indeed, Gov’n’r. It’s the Savoy.”

“I see.” He said, “Thank you Miss.”

“’Afternoon Gov’n’r.”

As we stepped away from the house Holmes said, “So the reportedly dreadful and effulgent Miss Halfrich is being escorted by the Napoleon of Crime?”

“Tell me Holmes.” I asked, “Do you still suspect the missing Mr. Farnsworth of being the murderer?”

“There may, my dear Watson, be more than one suspect. There may in fact, be three.”

“Do you include Miss Halfrich among the three?”

“If Mr. Farnsworth is not the murderer, there may be more than one victim. That other victim may be Mr. Farnsworth.”

He opened the newspaper and looked at the Theatrical Announcements.

“Professor Moriarty and Miss Halfrich will be attending the premier, of an operetta named ‘H.M.S. Pinafore’.

“’Pinafore’?” He laughed, “Ridiculous to think that one of Her Majesty’s Ships would have such a name.”

I said, “Seeing as I have already purchased a pair of tickets myself, I hope the Show is better than its title.”

That evening, both Holmes and I arrived at the Savoy, about a half-hour before curtain time. We were dressed in top hats and evening attire. We stood outside, observing all the Lords, Gentlemen and Ladies, who arrived in elegant carriages.

I was observing the effulgence of certain young ladies, wondering if one of them was Miss Halfrich, when Holmes touched my arm.

“Here they are Watson.”

I looked and immediately recognized Professor Moriarty, who had just stepped out of a cab, accompanied by a very attractive; some might daresay effulgent, young woman; young enough to be his daughter.

Moriarty recognized Holmes and me. He tipped his hat toward us, and we returned the courtesy.

He and the lady came over to us.

“Evening Holmes. Watson.” He said, “I would like to introduce Miss Cecily Halfrich. Miss Halfrich. It is my honor, to introduce the famous detective, Mr. Sherlock Holmes himself, and his very good friend Dr. John Watson.”

Miss Halfrich had a round face, framed by a circle of dark hair.

“I’m certainly delighted to meet you Mr. Holmes.” The young lady laughed. Her voice chirped like a bird. “Unless you suspect me of some crime?”

“I’m wondering Miss Halfrich. A certain poet named William Farnsworth seems to have disappeared, and you were the last person known to have spoken to him.”

Moriarty spoke, with a puzzled voice. “William Farnsworth? The name sounds familiar.”

She told him, “He was at the get-together, two weeks ago. He was the fellow who wrote that dreadful poem. Truly Mr. Holmes, I have no idea where Mr. Farnsworth is, neither do I, in the slightest degree, care.”

“Thank you Miss Halfrich. May I speak with you alone Professor?”

Miss Halfrich stepped away from us, out of earshot.

The Professor spoke peevishly. “What is it now Holmes? I hope you don’t suspect me, of having anything to do with the disappearance of a foolish, lovesick boy, do you?”

“Professor.” Holmes said, “I didn’t want to alarm Miss Halfrich, but her life may be endangered by that lovesick boy. He is suspected in the murder of the fellow who did the most to humiliate him at your get-together.”

Moriarty glanced anxiously at Miss Halfrich.

Then he said, “Thank you for warning me. I’ll inform her of your concern.”

Miss Halfrich hurried over to us.

“Pardon Gentlemen,” she said, “but do you see who has just arrived? It’s Prime Minister Disraeli himself.”

The crowd was gathering around the Prime Minister, who was accompanied by several Cabinet Ministers and their wives. One of the Ministers wore a naval officer’s uniform.

Professor Moriarty said, “Do you see that fellow in the Admiral’s uniform? He’s the new First Lord of the Admiralty. Thoroughly political appointment. The man never served one day in the Navy.”

I said, “As a veteran of War in India, I find the idea reprehensible.”

Miss Halfrich laughed, “I hear he wouldn’t know how to command a fleet of paper boats in a bathtub!”

She’d said that very loudly. Mr. Disraeli and his Cabinet Ministers, including the new First Lord of the Admiralty, all looked in our direction. She put her hand over her mouth, but kept a smile on her face.

We went inside the theater. Holmes and I took our box seats. We did not remain alone. A large young man, who spoke with an Irish brogue, and a blonde woman who spoke with a cultured Lady’s accent, joined us. He addressed her as Darla. She kept using the endearment “Angel” when she spoke to him. The two had a rascally demeanor about them.

As the Theater seats were quickly filling with patrons, Darla spoke.

“Oh look. There’s Halfrek.”

She pointed four boxes to our left, where Miss Halfrich was seated beside Professor Moriarty.

I heard Holmes repeat softly, “Halfrek.”

Then the show began, and it was much better than its title. As a matter of fact, it was brilliant. One of the main characters was a comically pompous and incompetent First Lord of the Admiralty. This was being watched by the actual First Lord, who was seated in the same box a Prime Minister Disraeli.

There was a moment, when the fictitious First Lord sang;


I always voted for my Party’s call!
I never thought of thinking for
myself at all!”

CHORUS
“He never thought of thinking for
himself at all!

1ST LORD
“I thought so little they rewarded me,
by making me the Ruler of the Queen’s
Navee!


CHORUS
“He thought so little, they rewarded he...”


A loud choking sound came from the Prime Minister’s box.

At that moment, an usher came up beside me and handed me a note, written by Miss Halfrich.

The note said, “You are seated with vampires.”

I showed the note to Holmes. He nodded.

The fictitious First Lord continued his song.


1ST LORD
“Stick close to your desks,
and never go to sea,
And you all may be rulers’
of the Queens Navee!”

CHORUS
“Stick close to your desks...”


There was a loud howl from the Prime Minister’s box. The real First Lord stood up to leave. The PM, who was also reportedly not amused, put a hand on the man’s shoulder and spoke to him. The real First Lord returned to his seat.

Holmes and I remained in our seats, along with the rascally looking pair, for the remainder of the first act. The accused two paid us no attention. They were thoroughly enjoying the performance, as much as I had been enjoying it, but was now unable to do so. The note from Miss Halfrich had put a damper on me for the entire evening.

During the intermission, Holmes and I joined the other patrons in the Lobby, where Professor Moriarty was in conversation with a member of Prime Minister Disraeli’s party. As we approached them, Miss Halfrich left the Professor’s side, and approached us.

When she stood before us, I held up the note.

“What kind of nonsense is this?” I asked her. “Vampires indeed.”

Holmes said, “In deed and in truth Doctor. Look at the mirrors. The loving couple in the seats beside ours, have no reflections.”

Miss Halfrich said, “They attended the get-together, where Mr. William Farnsworth was last seen, as you say, speaking with me. I did not care for his attention, and I firmly told him so. That was when he departed.

“Angel and Darla had come with a mad woman named Drusilla. After William left, Drusilla came over to me. She said we were all selfish and cruel.”

I told her, “Considering everything I’ve heard about that evening, Miss Halfrich, I apologize, but I do not think she was mad to say so.”

The lady continued her narrative. “Then Drusilla said, ‘I wish I could do something for that poor fellow, to make him feel better about himself.’”

“Then she went out the door, and I don’t remember if she returned our get-together.”

Holmes repeated, “She wished she could do something, to make him feel better about himself? She told you that wish?”

“That’s right Mr. Holmes.” The Lady had a rascally smile on her face. “She wished it in my presence.”

“And what of another party guest, a Mr. Reginald Carter? I was told that he expressed a desire, to have a railroad spike driven through his skull, before having to hear Mr. Farnsworth’s poetry again? Did he say that in your presence too?”

The rascally smile remained on Miss Halfrich’s face as she said, “I agreed with him.”

Then she stepped away from us, and returned to Professor Moriarty’s side.

“Holmes,” I said, “I feel reluctant to report to Mrs. Farnsworth, that her son William, the rejected suitor of Miss Cecily Halfrich, found consolation in the arms of a supposedly mad woman.”

He said, “I’d be even more reluctant to report that he died in her arms.”

“Are you certain of that?”

“My dear Watson. If this Drusilla is a vampire, she fulfilled a wish that she spoke in the presence of a Demon.”

“A Demon?”

“Unfortunately Watson, Miss Cecily Halfrich is in reality a Wish Granting Vengeance Demon named Halfrek.”

“I don’t know Holmes. If what you only suspect actually occurred, then Drusilla was granting her own wish.”

“Watson.” He told me, “My fellow members of the Watchers Council and I, know the name Halfrek. She is very dangerous. She may have fulfilled the desire of the now deceased Mr. Reginald Carter, and she is now the companion of Professor Moriarty, the Napoleon of Crime.”

After the Theater, Holmes and I retired to 221-B Baker Street, for a nightcap. Then I said goodnight, and returned to my own house.

My footsteps echoed along the dark, quiet street, as I passed under the dimly lit gas lamps, nearing my front door.

I sang softly. It was a song I remembered from the operetta I’d just attended.


“For he is an Englishman!
For he himself has said it!
And it’s greatly to his credit!
That he is an Englishman!
That he is an Englishman!”


I took out my keys, and a male voice spoke to my right.

“Dr. Watson.” He had a cockney accent.

I turned and beheld a man and a woman, silhouetted in the glow of the gaslights. They approached me.

I asked, “Who’s there?”

“William Farnsworth, Doctor.”
© Copyright 2017 Yesmrbill (UN: yesmrbill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Yesmrbill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/920046-Chapter-2