*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/920049-Chapter-5
Rated: 13+ · Book · Detective · #2132641
Sherlock Holmes investigates a murder that occurs when Spike first becomes a vampire.
#920049 added September 9, 2017 at 5:24pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 5
Chapter 5


As we stood in his study, at 221-B Baker Street, Mr. Sherlock Holmes unfolded the note that he had just crumpled.

He said, “This may not entirely be a wild goose chase. We should go to this ad-dress today Watson, instead of tonight. We might learn something. However, before we go, I need to get information from the Watchers Council first.”

He again put on his pea coat and deerstalker cap, while I wore my Prince Albert Coat and bowler. We went outside and hailed a cab, which took us to Trafalgar Square. From there we seperated. Holmes went to wherever the Watchers Council is located, while I spent the morning loitering around local book shops.

At noontime I met Holmes again. We had lunch at a small cafe near the Square.

He told me, “According to the Council, we are right not to trust Miss Cecily Hal-frich. They also say that if Mr. Farnsworth is a vampire, he would not have killed Reginald Carter with a railroad spike. He would have used his fangs. On the other hand, you should not be so trusting of him.”

“I am being cautious Holmes.”

“So is the Council. They have sent for the Slayer.”

We finished lunch, and hailed another cab. We climbed aboard, and Holmes told the driver to take us to the address that Miss Halfrich had written down.

The driver took us to a section of the City, where we would not have been safe after dark. The buildings were run down, and the strong smell of alcohol came from the many public houses. At night, there were never enough constables on patrol and very few street lamps. Many dastardly crimes are reported in the newspapers, as having been committed behind the walls of this district, where Miss Halfrich had hoped to send us after dark.

We had instead arrived at 1:30 o’clock in the afternoon, and we had not come unarmed.

The cab halted outside a dilapidated flat, with a heavily weathered door. Holmes paid the driver, who refused to wait. He snapped the reins, and his horses took off in a flash.

Holmes knocked on the door three times, as Miss Halfrich had advised.

A woman’s cockney voice called out behind the door, “’oo goes ‘ere?”

“I am Mr. Sherlock Holmes! I am accompanied by Dr. John Watson! We were sent here by Miss Cecily Halfrich!”

We heard the door unlock and it was pulled open inward, causing its hinges to whine loudly. The woman who opened it was in either her late teens or early twenties. She was unhealthily thin, had brown hair pulled back in a bun, and wore a clean but threadbare blue dress. She also held a pistol in her right hand, which fortunately was pointed at the floor.

She gave Holmes and I an appraising look, from bottom to top. She then shrugged and made a face, showing that she was unimpressed by either of us.

She said, “So you be ‘em. We was told you’d be ‘ere anight.”

Holmes said, “I beg your pardon madam, but coming here after dark, would have been too hazardous.”

“Know what you mean gov’ner.” She patted her pistol’s barrel with her left hand. “I’m sure both of you are gentlemen, but you can never be too careful in ‘is nei’br’ood.”

A man’s voice spoke, with a cultured accent. “Please allow the gentlemen to enter Anyanka.”

“Right ‘way Guv. Come on in Gentlemen. Make yourselves ta ‘ome.”

We entered the house, and were engulfed by the strong smell of an incense, which I recognized from India. There was a kerosene flame burning in a lantern, on an old wooden table. The glass surrounding the flame was tinted blue; so a blue glow was cast upon the walls and all the furnishings; on Holmes, Miss An-yanka and myself. She shut the door behind us, and stood with her back against it, still holding her pistol.

There was a back room, separated by a curtain, from the front.

From behind the curtain, the man spoke again. “Mr. Holmes. You were given a song to sing. I would like to hear it.”

Holmes spoke with embarrassment. “Very well. Here goes.”

He cleared his throat, and began singing, badly off key.

“My object all sublime
I shall achieve in time,
To make the punishment
Fit the crime,
The punishment fit the
crime...”

He stopped singing. “Oh this is absurd. Can we just get on with, whatever is going to happen, and spare us any further embarrassment?”

“Indeed.” The man behind the curtain said, “Spare us.”

The man pushed the curtain aside and stepped into the room. He was a giant; more than seven feet tall. His features looked deathly pale in the blue light; and his features were not entirely human. He had a series of demonic horns on his head and a goatee beard on his chin.

There was movement behind us. I turned and saw Anyanka kneeling down and genuflecting to his personage; but she kept the pistol in her hand.

The man finished the song.

“And to make each prisoner’s
‘pent,
Unwillingly represent,
A source of innocent merriment.
Of innocent merriment.”

“Watson.” Holmes said, “We are in the presence of Lord D’Hoffryn; Master of all Vengeance Demons. I daresay that Miss Cecily Halfrich is among them.”

Behind us Anyanka spoke with a sneer. “Ya mean use ta be.”

She again stood with her back against the door, her arms folded in front of her-self, with the pistol still in her hand.

Now Lord D’Hoffryn spoke. “So Halfrek has sent the great detective Sherlock Holmes to me. I am honored. Whatever assistance you need, to solve any crime, I will be more than glad to provide.”

Holmes said, “I am currently investigating the murder of Mr. Reginald Carter, in which I suspect your vengeance demon, Miss Cecily Halfrich, to have some involvement.”

The pale Eminence told us, “Miss Halfrek is no longer in my employ. Her demonic powers have been forfeited, due to her lack of caution. She is now as mortal as both of you gentlemen.”

Anyanka made a snort of contempt. “Careless. ‘at one.”

“Ah-hah!” Holmes exclaimed. “I suspected as much!”

I said, “You suspected?”

“Elementary Watson. If she still had demonic powers, why would she have come to us for help? Why would she have identified two vampires to us? Why would she be afraid of William Farnsworth? If she were still a demon, she would have handled it all without any mortal aid.”

“I have been assuming,” I said, “that was all part of her charade.”

“This is no charade. She is as mortal as you and I, but her mind is still demonic. She told us to come here this evening, to get us out of the way, while she murders William Farnsworth.”

I said, “But if he is now a vampire, she will surely be the one who dies.”

Anyanka chortled. “Ah-hah! I’d love bein’ there, ta see ‘im try.”

Holmes turned to D’Hoffryn. “Tell me your Lordship. If she succeeds in killing him, will that result in her restoration as a demon?”

The Demon Master said, “It will be taken into account in her favor.”

Anyanka exclaimed, “Oh what the bloody H___? ‘Taken inta ‘count’’? Ain’t all ‘er efforts so far, bin ‘nough?”

“Silence Anyanka.” her master demanded.

“Yes M’lord.”, she said still peeved.

Now Holmes said, “We thank you for your hospitality Lord D’Hoffryn, but it is ur-gent for Dr. Watson and I to leave immediately, so that we can apprehend Miss Halfrek, before she commits more than one more murder.”

I asked, “More than one more, Holmes?”

“The first was Reginald Carter. That was the beginning of her attempt to have herself restored as a wish granting demon, by
granting Mr. Carter’s wish, most literally. But that was not enough. If she kills William Farnsworth, that still won’t be enough. She must also kill another, and maybe more. Am I right Lord D’Hoffryn?”

“You are indeed as always Mr. Holmes.”

I asked, “But how could a woman her size, drive a railroad spike through a man’s skull?”

“She didn’t.” Holmes explained. “Yesterday’s Newspaper account was inaccurate. Today they printed a retraction. His skull was cracked open with the spike, which was left lying on the floor beside his head.”

Anyanka laughed. “Good goin’ ‘alfrek! Startin’ ta do thin’s right again. If I was ‘er bleedin’ Master, it’d be enough fer me.”
D’Hoffryn again ordered, “Silence.”

Then Holmes said, “My Lord D’Hoffryn, it is urgent for Dr. Watson and I to leave at once and inform Scotland Yard, so they can apprehend Miss Halfrich before anyone else gets killed.”

Behind us, I heard the door lock. I heard Miss Anyanka’s pistol being cocked.

“Not bloody well likely.” she said.

Holmes and I turned to face her.

Miss Anyanka had the pistol pointed at us in her right hand. She raised her left hand, pushing her open palm toward us.

She said, “I’d like ya ta take a few steps back gentlemen, with yer ‘ands raised, far away from ‘ose weapons ya got concealed.”

We did as she requested.

She said, “Ya ain’t gettin’ in the way, of me good friend ‘alfrek, gettin’ ‘er powers back. She sent ya ‘ere, so I could do somethin’ to ya both, to make sure ya don’t.”

I repeated, “’Do something to us’?”

“Watson.” Holmes explained, “Miss Anyanka is also a wish granting demon, who wreaks vengeance on behalf of wronged women.”

I asked, “Have you or I wronged any women?”

She said, “’course ya ‘ave Doctor. You’re men, ain’t ya?

“Now let’s see.” She went on, “What wished for vengeance can I wreak? I can turn ya both inta giant worms; or betta. I once turned a bloke inta lots an’ lots of tiny wiggly worms. There was one bloke I turned inta a spineless pig. Then there were the one’s ‘oose ‘arts got ripped right out.

“Now what kind of vengeance wish can I wreak on both of ya?”

“Madam!” Holmes spoke sharply. “My wish, is that you would cease now; so that we can prevent one or more murders!”

“Sorry.” She said scornfully, “I ain’t grantin’ any wishes of no men.”

Now D’Hoffryn spoke. “Anyanka! Cease now!”

Anyanka made a choking sound. She trembled slightly, dropped the pistol, shut her eyes, and collapsed to the floor with a sigh. Then she lay limp on the thread-bare carpet, without the slightest movement, or sound of breath.

I said, “Holmes. I think she’s dead.”

D’Hoffryn said, “You wished that she would cease now, Mr. Holmes. As you have wished it, so it is done.”

Holmes said, “Oh. I hadn’t intended for my words to be taken so literally.”

The pale blue Eminence said, “You are both free to go now, and do what you think is necessary.”

Holmes said, “Your Lordship, what I think it is necessary, is for you to come with us to Scotland Yard, and tell them everything you know, that might prevent the murders of one or more innocent people.”

He said, “Certainly Mr. Holmes. I am not one to shirk my responsibilities.”

I now spoke. “I can’t wait to see the look on Inspector Lastrade’s face, when you walk into his office, Lord D’Hoffryn.”

We opened the door and were about to leave, when I asked, “What about her?”

I indicated the dead woman on the floor, who lay untouched where she had fallen.

D’Hoffryn said, “Miss Anyanka will remain deceased where she is, for as long as I am away. After I return, I will make all the necessary arrangements, concerning what is to become of her.”
© Copyright 2017 Yesmrbill (UN: yesmrbill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Yesmrbill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/920049-Chapter-5